Extract vs. Mini Mash discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have yet to hear a definitive word on why go to a Mini mash instead of Extract.

The main reason so far are that it prepares you for going ALL-GRAIN which many people think is the ultimate goal.

Others have HINTED that you can use a larger variety of grains which is true but are they that many and is it truly needed?

Are those the only reason? Reading the above comment/questions you might think that I'm anti-mini mash but that is what I do - just looking for more info.

The more fresh grain character that you can add to a recipe, the better. By mini-mashing, you are getting some of your fermentables from base grain- and this enables you to use a wider variety of grain in your recipe. If you are just doing extract + steeping specialty grain, none of the fermentables are coming from the grain.

Also, it's cheaper compared to extract + steeping grain recipes. The more the manufacturer gets involved, the higher the cost. My average AG batch (with washing yeast) costs about $15-20. When I take delivery of my base malts in a few weeks, that cost will dip down a bit more. I'm about 6 batches into all grain- and while I thoroughly enjoy the 'hands on' approach, I certainly don't scoff at brewers using other brewing methods. I know Revvy has written about this in the past, but AG isn't de facto the Holy Mecca of homebrewing. Making consistently good beer that measures up to your expectations is.

BEtter control of the flavor and feel of "Your" beer.

Beside, I think it is a lot more fun>

Tim

So far I've done 10 extract batches and 2 partial mashes. Not only are the partial mashes fun to do, the results have been exponentially better. Comparing my belgian wit extract to my beligan wit partial mash, it's astounding how much better of a beer it was. The partial mash was much truer to style in color and body. Nothing about the extract version resembled a witbier.

I'm sold on it. From here on out I plan on only doing partial mashes before stepping up to AG.

I do partial mash, and it's made my beers a lot better. You can mash different base malts (munich, vienna, maris otter, etc.), and the character of the grains comes through a lot more clearly. I found that while I made good beer with extract + steeping grains, the brews all tasted a lot alike because extract is extract is extract. Since going partial mash, I've been able to really control the flavor of my beers a lot more. The equipment I had to add to go partial mash was: a large mesh bag. Give it a whirl. It's worth it.

Edit: Oatmeal Stout comes to mind as a style that is much better when you perform a mash. There are others. Better beer and wider variety, at least for me.

Adjunct grains that need to be mashed:

Oats
Rye
Corn
Wheat
Flaked barley
Rice

Special barleys that have to be mashed

Biscuit
Victory
Munich
Aromatic

Specialty grains that benefit from mashing

Brown malt
Dextrin malt
All crystals
Special B
Chocolate

Because extract typically doesn't produce as good a beer as all grain or partial mashing.

Some guys can pull off a great extract batch...I cannot. My extract batches always have the 'twang'...my AG batches taste like good craft/microbrew you'd spend $$$ on at the store or a pub.

I think the big reason is that with a mini-mash you get a lot more different choices of ingredients. I can make some really good beer with extract, and lets face it with All Grain, all you are really doing is making your own extract. You get a wider choice of ingredients, and its likely to be fresher, plus its fun - but if you're careful I think you can make just as good a beer with extract - well certain kinds anyway.

Cool thanks - I do not have enough batches under my belt (literally). I've started Partial Mashs but non are ready to drink yet.

I've got a newbie question: What is the difference between mini, or partial, mash and extract with steeping grains? If I use any LME or DME in my brew while I'm steeping grains in a muslin bag is that considered extract brewing?

I've got a newbie question: What is the difference between mini, or partial, mash and extract with steeping grains? If I use any LME or DME in my brew while I'm steeping grains in a muslin bag is that considered extract brewing?

Mini and partial mash are the same thing. It means mashing some grain as a portion of fermentables, and using extract as needed to get the desired amount of fermentables.

Extract with steeping grains means using extract for the fermentables and steeping grains for color, flavor and aroma. No actual fermentable sugars will be provided by the grain, or a negligible amount anyway.

Latest posts

Back