Extract, Final gravity and Amalyse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelTH

Reaction score
Hey all. I prefer all grain brewing but am limited on time. Starting up extract again.

I’ve been less than satisfied with my last few extract batches though, both because of final gravity. Not a fan of sweet beers. (Light lager finished at 1.015 and RIS at 1.042)

One thought I had was to add amalyse enzyme either (1) during the grain steel after te extract has been added OR (2) during/after fermentation. Would that work for an extract batch?

My other option is simply replacing some of the LME with cane sugar. Maybe up to 10%. Thoughts?

The commercial bacterial amylase enzyme preparations generally do not produce much fermentable sugar. If you can get your hands on a fungal amylase, that would be what you want.

Yes. Replacing some of the malt extract with sugar is reasonable for reducing sweetness.

Cheers

I’ve been less than satisfied with my last few extract batches though, both because of final gravity. Not a fan of sweet beers. (Light lager finished at 1.015 and RIS at 1.042)
Can you share recipes?

My guesstimates for OG suggest a yeast with very low attenuation. If that's the case, 10% sugar may not make "enough" difference.

Are your steeping grains adding sweetness and unfermentables? Since you're not converting the starches in steeping grains to up the fermentables, it changes the effect of a given amount of crystal malt vs all grain. As @BrewnWKopperKat suggested, it would help if you posted recipe details.

Last edited:
Perceived sweetness is typically balanced with bittering hops. So, more hops. If the body of the beer is too heavy, I agree with using simple sugar.

Light lager should finish under 1.010, assuming a OG of less than 1.050. That extract is not doing you any favors!

Amylase will not hurt anything, so give it a shot. Put a teaspoon in the fermentor and see what happens. Just remember that the rate of enzymatic activity is greatly reduced at fermentation temperatures, so plan on leaving it alone for at least a couple of weeks if you do add enzymes.

thanks all.
(1) not looking for “really” dry. Just drier than I seem to be able to get wi the extract.

(2) here’s a recipe example. Recent experimental small batch.
2.5# briess golden dme
3 oz roasted barley
1.6 oz caramel 120
1.6 oz chocolate malt
1.6 oz pale chocolate

Whole pack of USO5.
.25 oz chinook (60)

It’s an imperial stout based on the one from Brewing Classic Styles I believe. My OG was estimated around 1.098 and FG was at 1.040 (hoping for 1.030 or under)

Yes it was just over a gallon as I recall. Crucial information to leave out.
Well, one of your problems is lack of attention to detail. :)
I believe you were seriously under hopped. That's a lot of malt extract and carmel 120 should contribute assertive taste.
I have no idea why it didn't finish lower, but I don't actually do gravity readings myself.

but I don't actually do gravity readings myself.

i should so figure out how many seconds i can leave my finger in my strike water before i say ouch! i love this instant read inkbird themometer, but the battery life isn't that great....

and now for some reason, i want to ask the age old question...refrac for FG, or hydrometer? i mean if you're reading 14.5 BRIX on a refrac and you started with a OG of 1.098 extract batch....that's right on par with beersmith's prediction of FG.....

and now for some reason, i want to ask the age old question...refrac for FG, or hydrometer? i mean if you're reading 14.5 BRIX on a refrac and you started with a OG of 1.098 extract batch....that's right on par with beersmith's prediction of FG.....

I would never use a refrac for FG. Don't trust AT ALL. I tried and tried to correct with beersmith, but it was never dependable across beer types. I think if you brew the same beer every time you could get that to work for you though.

I do use a refrac during the boil, invaluable for that.

I would never use a refrac for FG. Don't trust AT ALL. I tried and tried to correct with beersmith, but it was never dependable across beer types. I think if you brew the same beer every time you could get that to work for you though.

I do use a refrac during the boil, invaluable for that.

is this your new second account? the OP has 12 posts?

i get it was overlooked because we're talking about taste, but still......

Back