Extract brewing is FAKE brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i know sodium metal produces hydrogen when added to water? so i'd figure out a way to free up nacl....i'm not entirely sure how to do that...
Lord knows what my OP was and how it relates to now. I'm not interested/curious to go back and find out.
If I had to guess, I would be the guy going on about how others shun things like extract, turn up their noses at it. The fact is, we're locked into others producing what we use.
Long term? You don't get by on your own. Prophetic, I know.

I totally forgot about that technology.
Can you imagine the spot we would be in now if we couldn't machine parts to the level we do? We would be fracked.
That made me think of the amazing machine work that was done to create steam locomotives.
Go to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI and check the work the did to make the connecting rod for the big Driver wheels of the steam locomotive they have there. First off, it's massive, but the work is so fine it's truly impressive.
And they did that about 100 years ago!

The truth is that modern machining is so good the old concept of "break-in" on modern engines is almost unwarranted.
Fact is, it is more of a period to uncover assembly errors than break-in.
Old cylinders weren't really round so you needed the rings to have a chance to fit themselves to the bore. Not so today.
An engineer at GM told us the engines are pretty much broken in during the first run at the factory.
This was back in 1977!

That made me think of the amazing machine work that was done to create steam locomotives.
Go to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI and check the work the did to make the connecting rod for the big Driver wheels of the steam locomotive they have there. First off, it's massive, but the work is so fine it's truly impressive.
And they did that about 100 years ago!

The truth is that modern machining is so good the old concept of "break-in" on modern engines is almost unwarranted.
Fact is, it is more of a period to uncover assembly errors than break-in.
Old cylinders weren't really round so you needed the rings to have a chance to fit themselves to the bore. Not so today.
An engineer at GM told us the engines are pretty much broken in during the first run at the factory.
This was back in 1977!
If it weren't already hijacked that should complete it.;)

My take is that you desire to machine a part but there is nothing on hand to machine the part. There'd be a painstaking process no matter how intelligent the group attempting to do so is.
So we get back to beer and folks taking about this, that and the other thing.
Doing it all on one's own is naïve.

This part of my OP is rather perplexing. When I did extract brewing, I don't recall needing any extra sugar.
That was in the old days (like before homebrewing was legal, pre-1979 or so) when they would buy a can of malt extract and it had instuctions on it how NOT to make beer.

Whatever you do, do not dissolve this extract in 5 gallons of water. Do not add 2kg of sugar. Do not boil with hops for 60 min. Do not cool and add yeast.

Last edited:
I think of my body as a way to extract the alcohol from anything I brew. So in a way we're ALL extract brew systems. Cheers!

Very true. I tried it once. Fermenting wort. Spent 3 days sat in an FV full or wort, blowing bubbles through an airlock. It's not as easy as it looks, I discovered. I won't be trying it again. Leave it to the yeast, I say.
Pruned fingers for nothing right? I been there

Very true. I tried it once. Fermenting wort. Spent 3 days sat in an FV full or wort, blowing bubbles through an airlock. It's not as easy as it looks, I discovered. I won't be trying it again. Leave it to the yeast, I say.

for some reason, i'm always going to picture that when i think of you now.....not your spooky avatar! :mug:

It was the end of day 3, in my defence.

🤣

1655240625526.png

So extract brewing isn't real beer... beer snobs who can't admit there is an easier way. I've won medals with extract. So its better when you "extract" the sugars out of the grain than when a pro does?

Circa 2004, as a favor to an old friend who needed to convey a set of house keys to his friends, I once happened to host a purported BJCP Master at our home (dude still sells himself as a consultant to breweries), who totally swooned over 5 of the 6 beers I had on tap at the time. His ding on the 6th (an ESB) was it wasn't quite bitter enough.

Anyway...all six beers were 100% extract...

Cheers! (I like to think the dude knew his stuff ;))

🤔 i didn't know they made that many extracts?
Back then, style specific extract were popular. (Stout LME, Porter LME, ...) And brewers would blend them in recipes. "Bituminous Stout" is a recipe from circa 1992 that won award(s) and the hearts of many brewers.

Apparently a 60/40 blend of Stout LME & Porter LME made a solid stout porter. :)

Recently, a new generation style specific extracts are available. Anecdotal reports are rare but tasty.

Back then, style specific extract were popular. (Stout LME, Porter LME, ...) And brewers would blend them in recipes. "Bituminous Stout" is a recipe from circa 1992 that won award(s) and the hearts of many brewers.

Apparently a 60/40 blend of Stout LME & Porter LME made a solid stout porter. :)

Recently, a new generation style specific extracts are available. Anecdotal reports are rare but tasty.

i've never been an extract brewer, so i thought there were only light, amber, and dark...but after making that statement i got curious..went to morebeer, and there's aparently 4 shades of base extract, two shades of wheat, and even a rice one....i was surprised! :mug:

What is wort? And there you have it, it is extract. Whether out of a can, plastic bag or a MT it is extract. The later is just more fun, more work and way more expensive when you factor in the cost of equipment and energy to produce it. Begs to question why I never simply use store bought extract.

Maybe or possibly Extract brewing is all some brewers need to accomplish. Yes I've done all grain years ago. Brew was tasty but now all I do is extract brew. To me it tastes fine and to my drinking friends it tastes fine. Up to the individual I guess.

Back