Express Bus Too Hard To Understand??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I went on vacation to see my inlaws at their little lake house in upper Michigan with the wife and SessionableGoodness. On the way home, from LaGuardia Airport, I took advantage of the M60 Express Bus, which the MTA has thoughtfully developed to take passengers from the Airport into Astoria (and beyond), dropping me off mere blocks from my house at the low low price of $3.

I just swipe my Metro Card at the outdoor kiosk and pocket my ticket, showing it to the driver when I board. If I didn't have a metrocard, I could use the same machine to pay with cash, credit, or debit cards.

Let me ask you this, New Yorkers and those who have never set foot here both... DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A DIFFICULT CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND?!

Im already on and at the next terminal I see her coming. Gucci Shoes, LVMH handbag... you know the type...

Driver: "Can I see your ticket ma'am?"
Her: "I have my metro card..."
Driver: "Yes ma'am, the ticket machine is right there and takes the metro card"
Her: "but.... I have a METRO CARD"
Driver: "Yes you need to put your metrocard in the machine right there"
Her: "You aren't listening to me... I HAVE A METRO CARD"
Driver: "YOU aren't listening to ME. YOU NEED TO PUT YOUR METRO CARD IN THAT MACHINE RIGHT THERE!"
Her: "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I HAVE A MET..."
*driver closes door*

Am I just being too hard on her?

I though on most NYC busses you swipe the card when entering the bus. Why was this one different?

That's a good question, for which I don't have a good answer, which is why I was patient the first few times the driver explained. I wouldn't have even been impatient if she said "oh!" and ran to the machine to get her ticket while we waited.

Since its just us though I'll let you in on a secret... shhhhhhh... most of the time they don't check your ticket anyway if you don't show it.

For too long have I witnessed such intellectual atrocities upon the face of logic itself.For too long have we sat idly by with dry swords and maces. Our hammers of war long to be drenched in the brains and drink of the blood of these weakest links! Rise up, the axe sings to me! Rise up and taste the forged love of my steel! For ye shall learn the simplicities of the Metro Pass or perish of your own ignorance! Pass the beer and gravy!

Apparently she thought all she had to do was show her metrocard, like a monthly bus pass. I can understand that, but it's her unwillingness to listen & process the information the driver was trying to tell her that was the problem. No Creamy, you're not too impatient nor too hard on her. People like that think that a white line on the pavement will protect them from a Mac truck running a red light, so there's no need to look both ways before crossing the street, the sign said it was OK. She needed a reality check.
Regards, GF.

Maybe she should have been getting on the short bus?

:rimshot:

Seriously, though. I'm totally unfamiliar with buses. I'd probably be confused about how that all works. Right up until the bus driver tells me to swipe my card on the machine right over there...

Seriously, though. I'm totally unfamiliar with buses. I'd probably be confused about how that all works. Right up until the bus driver tells me to swipe my card on the machine right over there...

"So this is some kind of multi-person transport? Wait... what card?"

There was also a guy who might as well have had a neon sign over him that said "I'm from Kansas!" who presented a new metro card to the driver the terminal prior (where I got on). Difference here is the driver told him about the machine, he said "oh! I'll be right back!" and boarded the bus maybe 3 minutes later. Much more reasonable transaction... people cant be expected to KNOW everything.

Also, why were you in Northern Michigan and didn't stop by for a beer and a rousing game of Euchre??

Didn't we talk about this a few years ago and discover you were in the neighborhood of 6hrs away from Presque Isle? Or am I mixing you up with Yooper?

Didn't we talk about this a few years ago and discover you were in the neighborhood of 6hrs away from Presque Isle? Or am I mixing you up with Yooper?

I'm in Reed City, about 1 hour north of Grand Rapids right on US131.

Presque Isle is a few hours away in the northeast corner of the LP.

Yooper is way west in the UP, like 8 hours from me, and probably about 6 hours from Presque Isle, actually.

Whereabouts were you at in Mich?

I'm in Reed City, about 1 hour north of Grand Rapids right on US131.

Presque Isle is a few hours away in the northeast corner of the LP.

Yooper is way west in the UP, like 8 hours from me, and probably about 6 hours from Presque Isle, actually.

Whereabouts were you at in Mich?

Presque Isle. My inlaws have a cottage on Grand Lake.

Presque Isle. My inlaws have a cottage on Grand Lake.

I've been over by Alpena a few times. The Michigan Karst Conservancy, which I am a former member) owns some land near Thunder Bay. I've helped clean up a sinkhole/garbage pit and we've scouted the area for possible cave entrances.

There is a lake near there that has been known to sometimes drain away. The theory is that some underground blockage sometimes clears itself away allowing the lake to drain into the underground stream and flow into Lake Huron.

Just some trivia facts.

Presque Isle is not really close enough to easily meet up, but it might have been possible to meet along the way. I'm guessing you took 75 north.

Im not really sure of what roads we use, but we usually fly directly into Alpena. Makes it a little tough... and you are too stubborn to come to NYC :p

Ah, you just fly. Makes it easy I guess.

Yeah, I'd probably come to NY if there was anything interesting to do there... ;)

Some day. Maybe when the kids are all on their own.

I know I know I suck. Its particularly a shame too, because I was working right in the times square area at the time, and now Im banished down here in the... feh... Financial District.

I know. As I remember, your life was crazy at the time. But we were staying in the square, right across from the M&M store. I imagine you ran past me a couple of times on the street.

Don't worry, my wife and I will probably come up in the fall to see some shows. You'll have another chance to snub me then :D

Ah, you just fly. Makes it easy I guess.

Yeah, I'd probably come to NY if there was anything interesting to do there... ;)

Some day. Maybe when the kids are all on their own.

Ahem... I came to NYC ;)

Work has occasionally taken me to NYC and I've shared some beer and charcuterie with Creamy Goodness.

Latest posts

Back