Exploding yeast??? Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
When I took my carboy out of the fridge from cold crashing something very odd was happening in the sediment layer when the beer started to warm up while I was prepping to transfer the beer to the keg. I am broke so I don't have the membership where you can add a video so here is the youtube link...

Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just CO2 escaping from the trub? Gases are more soluble is cool liquids as opposed to warm ones, so maybe as it warmed up the CO2 came out of solution. It looks pretty cool.

Seems like CO2. If it were the yeast springing back to life, a majority of the sediment would be kicking up with it (I guess you'd call it "cycling"?), and that stuff seems to re-compact after each burst.

Just my 2 centavos.

This is why you want to get it racked into your bottling bucket or keg as soon as possible after cold crashing...so it doesn't start warming up and pushing the sediment back into suspension.

Ya I thought CO2 at first too. I guess that is probably what it is I just didn't think it would look like that. It looked bigger than a little CO2 bubble escaping and it was pretty powerful force pushing up sediment that high in the beer that quickly. I guess CO2 is probably the only reasonable explanation though.

You've created such a compacted sedimentary layer that it's developed it's own tectonic plates and your catching some rare volcanic activity.
I bet those little yeasties are scared. Probably thinking Pompeii....

:D

I had one like that a couple of weeks ago and the cause narrowed down to solar flares or some sort of volcanic activity....

Back