Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My freekin gawd, is this thread still alive??? The Eagles had the answer "get over it" No one is going to be out of pocket...

Do you like to pay higher prices for goods and services. We all pay for thievery. Not to mention I will not purchase again from AHS until they verify the root cause and fix it. That is what I recommend to my friends as well.

My freekin gawd, is this thread still alive??? The Eagles had the answer "get over it" No one is going to be out of pocket...

Perhaps, but I'm NOT ordering from them until it's resolved. Many others feel the same.

They already lost my last order because of this. I don't want to be without my cc for a week.

Seriously? This post needs to stay alive until the point of compromise is known and posted here.

At this point, this is about consumer confidence and transparency. AHS is already starting to suffer a loss of business because people don’t want to take the risk of their card being compromised.

FYI for those waiting to place an order - there has been absolutely no report of compromised accounts for those paying via PayPal, so that should still be a viable option.

If "just getting over it" doesn't work, perhaps plugging our ears and going "LALALALALA" might. :fro:

really? I'm out 459 dollars and change still.the bank and I are still fighting over this one last charge.as it stands right now they aren't inclined to credit my account.
mean while I have bounced checks and the subsequent charges for them.so don't go spouting off no one is out any money.
(I am fighting the check charges also)

really? I'm out 459 dollars and change still.the bank and I are still fighting over this one last charge.as it stands right now they aren't inclined to credit my account.
mean while I have bounced checks and the subsequent charges for them.so don't go spouting off no one is out any money.
(I am fighting the check charges also)

****, Fat_Bastard, that really sucks for you. Have you considered changing banks?

****, Fat_Bastard, that really sucks for you. Have you considered changing banks?

I am going to as soon as I get this resolved one way or the other.
FWIW I blame no one but myself.I should have never used a debit card online.

most importantly...
F*@$ CITIBANK!

most importantly...
F*@$ CITIBANK!

True, one should not use debit cards for many purchases. But don't accept blame that belongs to thieves.

If I can make one recommendation for their site, the choice to pay via Paypal should be more prominent. Until this thread, I never even noticed that they offered it. Two days ago, in the midst of all of this, I placed and order. I would not have placed that order at this time (for the obvious reason) if I didn't know about the Paypal.

And there is still the answer that we are waiting for from Forrest himself, how long were our CC numbers and info stored on your in house PC's until they were processed and destroyed? I would like to see if your public answer jives with the AHS email answer that I WILL be sharing w everyone here?!

Hell, if they don't want to call call the local authorities and file a police report and get the investigation ball rolling then everyone here should file a report with their local agency. The agencies that actually pursue it will eventually all end up calling Austin PD to tie in with them and ask that they go talk to AHS, after they get a hundred of these calls from various agencies Austin PD will probably start digging. Then again, I'm willing to bet the financials are already looking into it, they seem to be right on top of contacting us for fraud indicating they may very well have flagged transactions out of AHS. It will be interesting to see...damn, and I kinda wanted to get a new plate chiller.

The agencies that actually pursue it will eventually all end up calling Austin PD to tie in with them and ask that they go talk to AHS, after they get a hundred of these calls from various agencies Austin PD will probably start digging.

You're taking an awesome guess at how this stuff works, but it's wrong. The victim, by law, is the person who gets their info stolen. The only thing AHS could be the victim of is an electronic breach. Different states have different laws on this, so I don't know how that would be investigated in Texas. But as for the credit card losses, they would have to be investigated by the local authorities of the victim's residences.

Trust me. I get paid for this.

AB-

Normally, I am a fan of your post, but since you are not an FBi agent or Fed Marshal, or TX law enforcement agent....why not leave this one alone and go play in the NY sandbox?

I know you got burnt, I've been reading your posts. If anything, I'm just trying to make sure the guys who got screwed know what to do. Armchair Detectives calling on Elliot Ness aren't going to help someone in your position. If Texas authorities call you, I'll bite my tongue, but it isn't going to happen.

PS.. I'm not saying they don't have some fault in this - they do - I'm just saying how the law works.

but this was an idea that I didn't read anywhere on the 29 d@mn pages. :)

Then you probably didn't actually read the '29 damn pages'.. because several people have suggested this possibility, including myself...
:D

or if you want to use a card, open a separate account with a debit card and use it for online purchases only. fund the account with only what you plan to spend

That's my plan.. Was talking about this to my bank yesterday... The $7 a month account fee is worth the peace of mind...

You're taking an awesome guess at how this stuff works, but it's wrong. The victim, by law, is the person who gets their info stolen. The only thing AHS could be the victim of is an electronic breach. Different states have different laws on this, so I don't know how that would be investigated in Texas. But as for the credit card losses, they would have to be investigated by the local authorities of the victim's residences.

Trust me. I get paid for this.

I don't think I was clear. I wasn't suggesting that AHS call local authorities to have them deal with customers whose cc's were stolen. I meant the other direction. If AHS is indeed a victim of a crime, whether it be employee or vendor who stole proprietary data for criminal use (Washington's RCW have numerous laws on the books regarding theft of electronic and financial data and I assume most all states have similar) they need to have it investigated...so I was saying it needs investigated upwards to the source of the scumbags not downwards towards the victims.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of this seems like overkill. I use my debit card all the time, in person and online and I've never had a single issue. I'm sure it can happen, but so can a lot of things. If it happens, it'll suck, but when the dust clears I'll just go back to doing things how I always do. It's like... a car accident isn't going to stop me from driving my car. I'm not saying "get over it", but some folks are going a bit far, IMHO.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of this seems like overkill. I use my debit card all the time, in person and online and I've never had a single issue. I'm sure it can happen, but so can a lot of things. If it happens, it'll suck, but when the dust clears I'll just go back to doing things how I always do. It's like... a car accident isn't going to stop me from driving my car. I'm not saying "get over it", but some folks are going a bit far, IMHO.

Spoken like a man who didn't have his checking account cleared out and multiple checks bounced because of it.

But, when you get into that car accident you want to be in a safe car and insured. Blindly giving out your debit card that has a direct link to your bank account is asking for serious trouble especially if you have a sizable bank account or automatic overdraft protection that draws from a line of credit or your savings account. It is much safer to use a credit card (particularly with lower credit limits) for such transactions. I don't think that is overkill, just good security advice. But then again, you probably weren't speaking about that kind of overkill :).

Spoken like a man who didn't have his checking account cleared out and multiple checks bounced because of it.

if this is happening, you need a better bank and cellphone notification of charges made by phone or internet. makes it real easy to see all acitivity as it happens. if you pick a good a bank, they actually give you the benefit of the doubt right up front, front you the money allegedly stolen while they investigate. you should also be filing felony larceny report with the local PD if this happened to you.

i had to pay $7.50 out my pocket just for a replacement card, no reason it should of happened

I know this is hard topic to talk about without getting angry, missing money is not an easy thing to be OK with.

I'm asking that everyone refrain from personal attacks, bypassing the censor, and generally being disrespectful.

I appreciate you all, and do not want comments left in off topic to cause issues.

Wow, I thought this thread died a long time ago. CC info is stolen everyday. From your bank, stores, hell even the gas station. Debit cards are a part of our lives just like cel phones. There is no realistic way to avoid using them anymore IMHO. Has stated in one of the earlier post....My card info got out and I haven't bought anything from AHS in months. It was tracked back to a college in another state that my wife is taking on line classes from. Not one of those technical schools you see advertised on line...but a friggin state university. Last time my cc info was stolen was about 2 years ago from Paypal. So, all saying go with Paypal because it's safer, I laugh in your general direction. I know it sucks when someone steals your money, chit....some a-holes broke into my house last year and stole alot more from me than mere tangible things. Your best defense is to check your account weekly on line for fraudulent charges and make sure you have a bank that will reimburse you for fraudulent charges. Both times that my card numbers were used without my permission, the money was back in my account within the week. Once again, it sucks. But weeks of bitching and making accusations aren't helping you get your money or a business keeps it's reputation.

Wow, I thought this thread died a long time ago. CC info is stolen everyday. From your bank, stores, hell even the gas station. Debit cards are a part of our lives just like cel phones. There is no realistic way to avoid using them anymore IMHO.

Really? I have never, ever made a purchase with a debit card.

There are these similar things called "credit cards" that have more protections for their users.

Both times that my card numbers were used without my permission, the money was back in my account within the week. Once again, it sucks. But weeks of bitching and making accusations aren't helping you get your money or a business keeps it's reputation.

And when your bank account gets cleared out are out that money for a week or more... merchants where your checks bounce charge fees, etc...why not a credit card?

WEEKS? 1st post was 2/7. Today is 2/13. And by seeing this thread some people are looking at their statements which is a good thing.

I guess you are overly sensitive. If you don't like the topic, don't read it. Also, don't read the "Nottingham Yeast" threads either... I think they'll put you in a bad mood...

Really? I have never, ever made a purchase with a debit card.

There are these similar things called "credit cards" that have more protections for their users.

And when your bank account gets cleared out are out that money for a week or more... merchants where your checks bounce charge fees, etc...why not a credit card?

WEEKS? 1st post was 2/7. Today is 2/13. And by seeing this thread some people are looking at their statements which is a good thing.

I guess you are overly sensitive. If you don't like the topic, don't read it. Also, don't read the "Nottingham Yeast" threads either... I think they'll put you in a bad mood...

Wow, this thread hasn't upset me in the least...but your condensending tone....yep...that'll do it. Funny you think I'm the one that is sensitive....lmao. Oh well, I'll be the adult. bye, bye

most importantly...
F*@$ CITIBANK!

Email the CEO, email COO, email the CFO, email the VP, email the public relations person, email any (AND EVERY) corporate type you that you can find the email. Someone will respond.

Don't threaten the or any thing but calmly tell them that if it is not resolved you are going to tell all the government regulatory agencies and go to the TV stations. Use the anti-big bank sentiment out there to your advantage. I have done this once with a big bank and it worked well. Sometimes they need a wake-up call.

Email the CEO, email COO, email the CFO, email the VP, email the public relations person, email any (AND EVERY) corporate type you that you can find the email. Someone will respond.

No. No they won't. Do you have any idea how much hate mail they get daily and where it goes? Hint: trashbin. These are the same a-hats that are foreclosing on active duty servicemen!

You really want to hurt these big banks? Don't give them your business. There's plenty of local credit unions who can give the same services with better customer service.

No. No they won't. Do you have any idea how much hate mail they get daily and where it goes? Hint: trashbin.

I have done it and got a phone call from a person in consumer relations within the day. Similar big asshat bank. I sent it to about 12 emails, about half bounced back, but I guess one made it through to someone.

Hit this morning by an attempted charge to Skype. Same credit card I used through pay pal to make a purchase at AHS on 1/16. Who knows if it's related. Capital one declined the charge and called immediately, no harm, no foul.

Edit, this charge did NOT go through paypal. I normally go through them, but didn't for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back