Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell no! It IS his fault whether it was an employee or his "3rd party" processor. He is still culpable.

So if you crash your Ford truck into a tree, it's Ford's fault?

There is NO speculation. His company IS at fault for the credit card fraud. He didn't address this fast enough and is too quick to push off blame.

Again, I e-mailed them on the evening of 2/7 and heard back right away saying they were concerned and were looking into it.

I am assuming that you didn't get compromised. Perhaps if you did, you would be singing a differnt song!

Nope. My bank kicks ass.

Once agian there are too many people who want to defend him. Enjoy the Lovefest. I don't care how long he has been a vendor.

Fair enough.....

I'll continue to enjoy my free shipping on $100+ orders, great service, and excellent products.

Until he gets his act together I think no one should do business with him.

That's your choice....but I'll still choose to do business with AHS.

Thanks Forrest.. I am starting to feel confident that this is being addressed properly...

BTW, did you read my OT post (#745)?

That would make my brewing life a lot easier...

:mug:

I will post more info as I get it. So far, we know this was an outside job so, I am treating it as such. I have changed credit card processors. I have increased our verisign ecryption to the same type of security Amazon and Paypal have. When you check out the url bar turns green = Extended Validation SSL Certificate. I don't know of another homebrew store that has this.

I am doing everything I can to make everything more secure.

Forrest

Thanks again Forrest. I think my points have been made and I will leave it at that. Best wishes to you!

Hell no! It IS his fault whether it was an employee or his "3rd party" processor. He is still culpable.

I think you don't know the difference between the terms "fault" and "responsibility"...

There is NO speculation. His company IS at fault for the credit card fraud.

Obviously, you have access to information that the rest of us do not.. possibly even Forrest doesn't.. Care to spill the beans as to how you can make this statement with such certainty and authority?

Ultimately, AHS will share in the 'responsibility' (read cost) regardless of who is at 'fault'.. But that should not be confused with being at 'fault'.. By assigning 'fault' you are declaring that he did something wrong that directly caused the problem..

You can not possibly 'know' that!

"FAULT" lies directly at the feet of the low life jackass criminal(s) who stole the money...

Again forrest, since you are currently following this thread, please address this, from YOUR store. Not sure why you keep skirting a simple yes or no questions? Is the below true or not?

"Our computers used to only store credit card information for 1-1.5 weeks after an order was place but we are now deleting this information as soon as we ring up an order. By next Wednesday we will have switched to our new system and will no longer have access to any of our customers credit card information."

where did that quote come from? if it came from forrest, why would you assume it needs to be validated as truthful? if you dont assume his statements are truthful, then him saying its truthful means nothing. dont you get that?

what is with all the picking apart every nuance of every statement looking for the red herring or the hidden meanings?

picking at scabs. crazy stuff.

where did that quote come from? if it came from forrest, why would you assume it needs to be validated as truthful? if you dont assume his statements are truthful, then him saying its truthful means nothing. dont you get that?

what is with all the picking apart every nuance of every statement looking for the red herring or the hidden meanings?

Well, he made a mutually exclusive statement earlier in this thread so if that quote is from Forrest, I guess one of them is not true.

Why do you care so much? Quit beating on him for asking for answers to his questions. What's it to you? The email could have come from an employees for all we know. Do you know who sent the email to him?

Hmm, happened to me too.

Ordered from AHS on 2/1, then Bank of America alerted me to two suspicious charges that were made on 2/11 from a "Y.K.B. / TRCELL E-FATURA Beyoglu/Istan," seemingly a Turkish cell phone company. Fortunately they were small charges -- less than $25 each -- and BoA issued me a new card and credited my account that same day. I didn't suspect AHS at first, rather I thought the culprit was a local DC restaurant where [damnit] I should have paid cash.

I made another AHS order yesterday (2/15) before hearing from Forrest's email that the fraud may be in some way connected to AHS, so hopefully there won't be another fraudulent charge on my newly-issued card. Forrest, when did you change your credit card processor?

Can't say this experience has me refusing to do business with Forrest or the AHS team, unfortunately credit card theft is a reality of our digital existence these days, and his email has me confident that they're working hard to remedy the situation. Luckily, many credit card companies have zero-liability policies when it comes to fraud. Might I suggest checking what your company's policy is, and always *always* be vigilant and monitor your statement!

Since you don't know I'll tell you...the quote came from his staff last Friday, just a few days after all this blew up in his face. All I want is for him to acknowledge that they do indeed (did) keep CC info on a store PC. I have been very clear on this. Many times. Simple yes or no would suffice.

i guess youre right, it has been interesting observing the mob mentality take its hold. mostly calmed down now but seems a few still insist on burning down the castle for good measure.

seems as if we are nearing the end now, calmer cooler minds are prevailing and the irrational jump to conclusions mats are being rolled up. whew!

Since you don't know I'll tell you...the quote came from his staff last Friday, just a few days after all this blew up in his face. All I want is for him to acknowledge that they do indeed (did) keep CC info on a store PC. I have been very clear on this. Many times. Simple yes or no would suffice.

dude. just pick up the phone, call as a concerned customer and ask them. easy peasey! just because we have a hobbyist forum does not mean that all other forms of communication are obsolete. if you have a legitimate, personal concern that you absolutely require answer to in order to go on, then a phone call is the most direct way to get your answers... posting on a gripe/flame/warning thread and demanding answers in post after post is definitely the long way to grandma's house.

i guess youre right, it has been interesting observing the mob mentality take its hold. mostly calmed down now but see8ms a few still insist on burning down the castle for good measure.

seems as if we are nearing the end now, calmer cooler minds are prevailing and the irrational jump to conclusions mats are being rolled up. whew!

Thanks for conceding your loss.

dude. just pick up the phone, call as a concerned customer and ask them. easy peasey! just because we have a hobbyist forum does not mean that all other forms of communication are obsolete. if you have a legitimate, personal concern that you absolutely require answer to in order to go on, then a phone call is the most direct way to get your answers... posting on a gripe/flame/warning thread and demanding answers in post after post is definitely the long way to grandma's house.

It's wholly appropriate for Forrest to address this issue publibly as he has been doing and hopefully will continue to do so. What makes no sense is why you and a couple other like minded individuals feel compelled to try and discredit anyone asking questions.

Don't worry about what I do, just be on your way.

i guess youre right, it has been interesting observing the mob mentality take its hold. mostly calmed down now but seems a few still insist on burning down the castle for good measure.

Easy.

Calling the members of this forum a "mob", saying they are not "calm", suggesting they are "burning down the castle" and "irrational" and jumping to the "conclusion mats", and then crediting yourself with a prevailing "cooler mind" is a bit much. In one post.

DaBiggin said:
It's wholly appropriate for Forrest to address this issue publibly as he has been doing and hopefully will continue to do so. What makes no sense is why you and a couple other like minded individuals feel compelled to try and discredit anyone asking questions.

Not discrediting anyone. Just curious why anyone who is essentially demanding answers
1. Rejects any statements made by vendor at face value as either obfuscation or outright untruthful
2. Prefers to carry out their tantrum in
A public way on a forum rather than pick up the phone and get the answers they so desperately require
3. Assumes such an adversarial position with a vendor they have apparently trusted and maintained a fruitful business relationship with in the past. What's changed?

From the tone of the inquisition you would think the acts were brutal, deliberate, calculated and devious.

I guess I am too naive to see the darker corners of what's transpired. This is like a spouse cheated and you're never ever ever gonna forget it. Apparently.

passedpawn said:
Easy.

Calling the members of this forum a "mob", saying they are not "calm", suggesting they are "burning down the castle" and "irrational" and jumping to the "conclusion mats", and then crediting yourself with a prevailing "cooler mind" is a bit much. In one post.

I said the jump to conclusion mats were being rolled up!

Not discrediting anyone. Just curious why anyone who is essentially demanding answers
1. Rejects any statements made by vendor at face value as either obfuscation or outright untruthful
A public way on a forum rather than pick up the phone and get the answers they so desperately require
3. Assumes such an adversarial position with a vendor they have apparently trusted and maintained a fruitful business relationship with in the past. What's changed?

From the tone of the inquisition you would think the acts were brutal, deliberate, calculated and devious.

I guess I am too naive to see the darker corners of what's transpired. This is like a spouse cheated and you're never ever ever gonna forget it. Apparently.

I'll type slowly so you can keep up...

1 - has not answered said easy question
2 - public forum that has helped others identify fraud on their accounts (seems like we have several new members just because of this thread too)...calling it a tantrum is just juvenile.
3 - one order from AHS, never again...not because of the cc issue, but for his HANDLING of the issue. I have been very clear about this.

I don't know if you are naive, but at a minimum, trollish

Again, what's it to you? I think you just like to hear yourself talk. Forrest needs no defense from you. Who ordained you as policeman for this thread?

DaBiggin said:
Forrest, thank you for your response. Can you tell us how you know with certainty that it was not an employee? I have an email from AHS, I don't know if it was you, saying that you were hiring new employees during the same timeframe. To me it seems the most likely weak link in the chain.
Anyone else take logic in college? Perhaps you were trained in the scientific method and understand the principal that you can't prove a null hypothesis? You are asking someone to prove something did not happen, and is outside of their control.

To quote a professor I once had: "Anyone have a girlfriend that's not in this room? Good. Prove to me that she it's not cheating on you right this second."

Anyone else take logic in college?

From what I've seen, I think they stopped offering that course.. otherwise people would recognize when the professors and media and politicians were blowing smoke where the sun don't shine..

Propaganda is useless when you know how to think for yourself and can remove emotion and drama and diversion from an argument..

BTW, why the user name borrachio? It sounds familiar.. Doesn't it mean "belch"? I'm being serious here, not trying to be a smart ass or otherwise offend in any way... I may have it mixed up with another word... If it does mean that, then that's pretty humorous,.... if it doesn't ... well... sorry.. forget I asked..

Disclaimer:
"The author of this post is in no way accusing or otherwise implying that any specific person, especially those involved in this discussion lack the ability to use 'logic' and are otherwise 'drama queens'.... The author was exclusively making a commentary on the specific statement quoted in a general and societal sense.. No animals were harmed in the formation of this disclaimer"

Good question. Goes back to my use of the moniker in college as part of an email address. Borachio (not english) was a drunken Shakesperean character. The name presumably drawn from the spanish boracho or "drunk."

The name presumably drawn from the spanish boracho or "drunk."

'THAT' is why it sounded familiar.... It's been a few years since I worked with mexicans on a regular basis and had them teach me all the 'wrong' stuff to say.. I probably only remember enough now to get slapped by a young lady I am trying to impress..

But I can still order a beer and then ask where the bathroom is!
Priorities!

Holy childish behavior batman. If a thread ever needed to be closed..................

_

borrachio said:
Good question. Goes back to my use of the moniker in college as part of an email address. Borachio (not english) was a drunken Shakesperean character. The name presumably drawn from the spanish boracho or "drunk."

Much Ado About Nothing. that's the name of the Shakespeare play, not my commentary on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

First - full disclosure -

I love me some AHS. I live in NC, and the LHBS is nice - but AHS has always had awesome kit selection and I think good pricing.

But here is how I came to be their customer originally : I saw, here on HBT, a post by a brewer who made a monster sized order from AHS. But he failed to do one thing - to check into the legality of his delivery. Seems he was in Libya - and he could not get LME through the postal services - ouch.

Now, AHS could have been a prick - hey, you ordered it - not thier problem. But nope - they switched to DME, reshipped, AND ATE THE COST of the customers mistake.

Not only that, but when the guy posted about it, Forrest's comments showed to me a business operator who wanted one thing above all - a satisfied customer.

SO I ordered from them that day. Since then I have ordered maybe 4 times. I know for the pay it forward thread I gave away 2 $25 gift certificates from AHS - just to get new folks to try them and to send the business Forrest's way.

Disclosure over *

I have been the victim of identity fraud twice - once I had my entire banking RUINED. The second time it was caught before too much damage, but not before someone used my personal info to pay utility bills in NYC . ( I live in NC )

Does any of this want to make me steer clear of AHS? Nah. Sadly, I almost see it as the " way things are now " - I do not carry cash, I don't think about getting mugged - today's muggers are guys in sweatpants drinking Mt Dew and mugging folk's credit cards from miles away.

If it was an employee of Forrest's, I have NO DOUBT that termination and legal repercussions would follow . He simply stikes me as a "Customer First" kind of guy.

Many want him to disclose information that I as a customer really do not wish to see. I do not want any potential scammer to find out in a public forum his exact transaction handling processes - heck, why make it easy for them?

I am not being coy, nor looking to add to a fight. I am not trolling - just laying my opinions bare.

Truth be told, I'm in a real crappy cash flow this month myself - I'd love nothing more than to send Forrest a huge " Hey man - I'm with you!" order, but at this rate, I may not brew for weeks.

Anyway - to those who got hit, I hope your banks work it all out. To Forrest - I hope this does not impact the great values and service that , so far, You have provided me as a small customer.

And to the scammer, wherever you may be, who did this - you're an ass. You're ill gotten dishonest act has served to both enrage my fellow hobbyists, and to ( in my opinion ) unfairly malign the rep of a great place - I hope your head catches on fire.

The HP

Runs off to make another order at NOT AHS until we receive confirmation that credit card numbers are no longer being stored on personal computers in the store or anywhere else!!!!

Runs off to make another order at NOT AHS until we receive confirmation that credit card numbers are no longer being stored on personal computers in the store or anywhere else!!!!

I use Paypal!

Everyone is attacking AHS but this is not an isolated problem and AHS is taking the correct actions. When my CC number was stolen from the local Target store (large box company) I was NEVER notified by Target. I found the problem and my bank worked it out. If you think that AHS is the only online company that stores such info you may rethink the use of the internet. Good luck to you all.

I use Paypal!

Everyone is attacking AHS but this is not an isolated problem and AHS is taking the correct actions. When my CC number was stolen from the local Target store (large box company) I was NEVER notified by Target. I found the problem and my bank worked it out. If you think that AHS is the only online company that stores such info you may rethink the use of the credit card. Good luck to you all.

Fixed.

Buncha children!

Settle down folks. I got hit by this after placing an order with AHS on 1/28, but guess what, it's not the first time. I got hit last year after using my card while traveling (I'm guessing one of the many bars I visited...for research purposes)...and once before that by an employee of a local ISP. It happens, but you're not liable. Just file a claim, cancel the card and move on. That's what I've done.

@riverfrontbrewer

I really don't know what else you're looking for. Short of Austin Homebrew Supply coming on here and saying "yep, we used to manually process cc orders and stored numbers for a week or so....", you've made your point.

You've posted an excerpt from a communication between you and Austin Homebrew Supply that seems incongruent with Forrest's prior statements in this thread. Others have posted similar communication and provided receipts where their order was manually processed. Anyone who's following this thread gets it. You're not going to get the answer you're looking for no matter how many times you ask it.

IMO, it's time to pause the frontal assault and give Forrest a bit more time to offer some answers moving forward. It's clear you're not going to order from them in the future; that's your choice, and one I can fully respect. Life's too short to worry about how someone else is running their business, especially one who you do not intend to shop for future purchases.:mug:

And before anyone goes there.....I've only tried to order from Austin Homebrew Supply once and received such sub-par service and communication, I canceled my order. I'm no fanboy, trust me...

edit: tried to quote riverfrontbrewer. damn fat fingers.

@riverfrontbrewer

I really don't know what else you're looking for. Short of Austin Homebrew Supply coming on here and saying "yep, we used to manually process cc orders and stored numbers for a week or so....", you've made your point.

You've posted an excerpt from a communication between you and Austin Homebrew Supply that seems incongruent with Forrest's prior statements in this thread. Others have posted similar communication and provided receipts where their order was manually processed. Anyone who's following this thread gets it. You're not going to get the answer you're looking for no matter how many times you ask it.

IMO, it's time to pause the frontal assault and give Forrest a bit more time to offer some answers moving forward. It's clear you're not going to order from them in the future; that's your choice, and one I can fully respect. Life's too short to worry about how someone else is running their business, especially one who you do not intend to shop for future purchases.:mug:

And before anyone goes there.....I've only tried to order from Austin Homebrew Supply once and received such sub-par service and communication, I canceled my order. I'm no fanboy, trust me...

edit: tried to quote riverfrontbrewer. damn fat fingers.

I think he wants to know which of two mutually exclusive statements he received from Austin Homebrew Supply representatives was a lie. That seems fair to me. Austin Homebrew Supply employees had the option of only making true statements (and alternately declining to make statements they didn't want to make), they didn't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back