Estery taste in Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcatbrewing42

Reaction score
Hi: I brewed my first Munich Helles from a borrowed award winning Homebrew recipe. I fermented at 52F, exactly as Lallemand Diamond lager yeast recommended. The ferment went well as predicted. I did a three day diacetyl rest at 64F. When the ferment stopped and the yeast dropped, I cold crashed it and corny kegged it to lager it. At 18 days from brew day, it is carbonated and still need more lager time but it tastes estery with a hint of banana. Will this resolve itself? Warm it up again? I have a second carboy, still on the yeast cake, waiting for an empty keg. It is about at 40F. Will that be better?

I've never used that Lager yeast, but I keep mine in primary for a month (including D-rest) then keg and Lager @32* for a month.

Personally, I wouldn't warm it up again. Just Lager it cold for a long time and see what happens.

I've never used that Lager yeast, but I keep mine in primary for a month (including D-rest) then keg and Lager @32* for a month.

Personally, I wouldn't warm it up again. Just Lager it cold for a long time and see what happens.
Thanks. One of the reasons I used Lallemand is that the ferment is faster than others and a lot of commercial brewers in N. America and Europe use it. It is supposed to be steady and fairly fast.

Not being familiar with that yeast, the only other things I can think of is underpitch. Did you add oxygen?

Thanks. One of the reasons I used Lallemand is that the ferment is faster than others and a lot of commercial brewers in N. America and Europe use it. It is supposed to be steady and fairly fast.
After a couple of weeks more lagering time, the Helles is excellent. Patience is a virtue.

Back