What yeast to use for a Kentucky Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have all the ingredients for a KC beer, I think I even have Cluster hops. The original beer was turned-around really fast, so a fast-fermenting ale yeast probably makes sense. Lager yeast at very high temperature might work too, I don't know. Do you think Lallemand "Munich Classic" would work? I know it's wrong, but I have it fresh in the fridge from my last brew. If there's no wheat in the recipe it's almost clean but has a tiny bit of banana and clove. I also have packets of US-05, S-04, Voss Kveik, and K-97. (any of those is probably better than MC, but I'm still leaning towards MC if that won't ruin it)

Tart. Not every beer (I’ve made some great ones with K97) but often enough it ends up tart. Koln, on the other hand, behaves like K97 at its best … all the time.
I will get some Koln next time I order supplies, (that may be a while) but not for this brew. Does Koln make a big dense Krausen that you can top-crop?

Does Koln make a big dense Krausen that you can top-crop?
Yes, it does. Among the dry yeasts, Lalbrew Köln (along with Lalbrew Verdant) is the best strain for top cropping. It produces thick, dense, sticky, long-to-stay Kräusen that sometimes may still float for days after the fermentation is finished.
As for the KyC style, warm-fermented W34/70 is your best option as it's the closest to the original strain they employed. Lalbrew Köln is the second preferred option and US-05 is the third.

Last edited:
For a Kentucky Common beer, a suitable yeast option would be a classic American Ale yeast strain. This type of yeast, such as the US-05 or Wyeast 1056, is known for producing clean and balanced flavors, which complement the malt character of a Kentucky Common. It's important to follow the fermentation temperature guidelines provided by the yeast manufacturer to achieve the desired results. Cheers to brewing your Kentucky Common!

I just brewed one, Prevalent Colonel recipe from Beersmith, used K97 yeast, and used the water profile from Mean Brews recommendation. Fantastic beer, will do again.

Nottingham is excellent in Kentucky Common. KC is basically a dark cream ale, or an ale version of a Dunkel lager, blurring the line between ales and lagers. To my mind, a lagery ale yeast is the perfect choice and Nottingham matches the description. I've used it a few times. S-04 is similar, US-05 is probably good too, but i haven't used it.

Nottingham is excellent in Kentucky Common. KC is basically a dark cream ale, or an ale version of a Dunkel lager, blurring the line between ales and lagers. To my mind, a lagery ale yeast is the perfect choice and Nottingham matches the description. I've used it a few times. S-04 is similar, US-05 is probably good too, but i haven't used it.

sorry for the double post, internet problems

I wasn't planning to order anything, but Ritebrew has Diamond Lager yeast on clearance (getting close to its sell-by date) so I ordered a few packets of that and a packet of Köln. Shipping was less than $4. I'll use the Köln when I get around to the KC -- probably not until early August because I need to go out of town in a week and a half.

Just for reference, the Mean Brews YouTube series, where he takes award winning recipes and comes up with the mean average recipe, 63% of them used WLP001/Wy1056, 19% used WLP8108/WY2112 the Anchor Steam strain, 13% used WLP080 Cream ale and 6% used WLP830/WY2124. I brewed one last year using the Anchor strain, it was decent, but not the best. If you are interested in the Mean Brews recipe, here's a link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cGGyr3auBI the yeast info is at 10:19.

Just for reference, the Mean Brews YouTube series, where he takes award winning recipes and comes up with the mean average recipe, 63% of them used WLP001/Wy1056, 19% used WLP8108/WY2112 the Anchor Steam strain, 13% used WLP080 Cream ale and 6% used WLP830/WY2124. I brewed one last year using the Anchor strain, it was decent, but not the best. If you are interested in the Mean Brews recipe, here's a link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cGGyr3auBI the yeast info is at 10:19.
I love Mean Brews. My only nitpick with his analyses is that most of the ancient MrMalty yeast "equivalents" that he still obviously references have been proved by genomic testing not to be accurate, so I wish he'd report each yeast separately; e.g., WLP830 and Wyeast 2124 are NOT the same origin (though in this case, the differences are probably pretty small). Meanwhile he lucked out on WLP810 & Wyeast 2112 being same origin. Other styles, not so much. I've provided him this feedback a couple times but... hey I still love the guy.

I've brewed it with us05, was marvelous. The guy who dug the style of of its early grave is here in the forum btw. So you could ask him. Forgot his name but the long and old Kentucky common thread is his.

I just brewed one, Prevalent Colonel recipe from Beersmith, used K97 yeast, and used the water profile from Mean Brews recommendation. Fantastic beer, will do again.
Correction, recipe above is from Brewfather library.

Back