Establishing a pipeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
I am looking for insight on some good "young" beers that will not take a while to condition. I just finished off a hefezeizen keg and am bottleing/kegging a Belgian Wit tonight. I already have a chocolate potter formenting for two weeks and am looking to brew up a pumpkin batch this week end. I have extra fermentor space and would like to do something that I can drink soon. (given the usual rules of at least 2 weeks in the primary and then bottle or keg for two weeks)

Generally speaking, nearly any beer in the 1.035-1.050 range, that's fermented warmish (68-72F) and that doesn't require much aging. [Ok I know that's awfully vague!]

My fave's (as per the criteria above):

Hefeweizen
English Milds, bitters, ESB's
Porters and stouts (not the imperial kind though)
Pale Ale's

M_C

Come to think of it,my English bitter is going pretty fast. I pitched the re-hydrated yeast on 7/30 (last Saturday). That also had 2tsp of dextrose added to the hydrating water. Talk about thick krausen! It slowed down the other day. I may get this one out of the fermenter in 2 weeks or less.

It doesn't matter how fast they ferment, it matters how fast they are good to drink, conditioning included. I'd say that wheat beers are ready to drink the fastest, from brewing to glass.

I find when I pitch plenty of healthy yeast, ferment relatively low in the range (well controlled) and raise my temp up about 3-5 degrees 3/4 through fermentation, then pretty much every beer I brew is drinkable within a week. I just brewed a 1.072 IPA 10 days ago and it hit FG and tasted pretty damn good in about 5 days. I did a 1.096 Wee heavy last year and it tasted great within 2 weeks.

I find WLP001 to be very predictable and it produces a clean beer quickly.

my IPA didn't go that fast. I pitched the starter on it 7/4 with 1.050 OG @ 68F. 7/16 I got a 1st FG of 1.011. It took another 3 days to get down to 1.010. I've had times where it took a week or more for that final gravity point. Then 1 week dry hop.
It can go fast if the gravity is 1.030-to maybe 1.045 or so,with no dry hop. That's my experience anyway.

My IPAs need at least 3 weeks after fermentation is totally done to tame down, to my taste. Hefe's on the other hand, can be kegged & served in half that time. Also, low gravity English beers can be done in pretty fast times too.

I would say a pale ale or cream ale. I can b drinking either in two weeks & tastes half decent. Of course let them sit two more weeks and they're much better.

BM's centennial blonde. I did it grain to glass in 17 days, bottle carbed. 10 day primary and a week to carb.

^this. Brewed my first batch of this 9 days ago. Took a hydro/see if it tastes good sample not 10 min ago. Tomorrow at this time it will be in bottles.

Well, my wheat was in primary for 11 days and I landed the same gravity reading the past 3 days (1.010) so I bottled it up tonight. The samples tasted great and I know a wheat is supposed to remain cloudy so I didn't want it to clear up too much.

This was SWMBOs request to emulate SeaDogs Bluepaw so I put some blueberry flavoring in it. The last 14 I put even more in so that she could have a few really over the top ones. I drank the last partial bottle warm and flat and it was better than the Sam Adams Summer Ale I have in the fridge if you ask me so this should be a great batch.

Long story short, in my limited experience, if you're looking for something to bust out quickly to buffer your pipeline, wheat is a darn good option...and with all the real/artificial fruit flavoring out there, you can make it into whatever you want so it's very versatile flavor-wise.

I'm gonna second or third or whatever a pale or a wheat. Fast turnaround for sure if the gravity isnt too much higher than 1.045. Grain to glass in 2 weeks.

Wow! This thread took off overnight. Thanks everyone for the insight. I'm hitting the LHBS tonight.

Back