Essential commercial beers you usually keep on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are some of the "must have" craft or non-craft beers that you like to always have on hand in the beer fridge?

A few favorites that I rotate through, depending on the season:

Fuller's ESB
Arrogant Bastard
Buffalo Sweat
Spotted Cow (good lawnmower beer and the one to serve guests who usually prefer BMC)
Moose Drool
Duvel
Old Rasputin
Negra Modelo

At home I drink almost exclusively homebrew. If I'm going to visit, I often pick up a mixed twelve of Kona, because it's good beer at a reasonable price. My brothers don't drink, (!) so I often bring a six of Montauk Arrowhead Red. The regular boat crew likes Yuengling, I try to find local craft when I cruise.

Bohemia Clásica pilsner because its delicious, although I can't reuse to bottles with my wing capper. When I need to add to my bottle inventory, Erdinger Weizen because the bottles are super heavy duty, or Bell's Oberon, Two Brothers Domaine du page, Ebel's Weiss, etc. because they both use standard bottles with easily removed paper labels.

I've got a beer fridge I keep stocked with mostly Founder's All Day IPA and SNPA but their is usually a sixer of the following in there: Guinness, Duvel, Ballast Point Grapefruit Skulpin, Blue Moon and a 6 Pack of Budweiser.... Neighbor across the street is retired and a great guy... He comes over in the evenings to visit from time to time and he will only drink Bud....

What are some of the "must have" craft or non-craft beers that you like to always have on hand in the beer fridge?

A few favorites that I rotate through, depending on the season:

Fuller's ESB
Arrogant Bastard
Buffalo Sweat
Spotted Cow (good lawnmower beer and the one to serve guests who usually prefer BMC)
Moose Drool
Duvel
Old Rasputin
Negra Modelo

Jeez, I should do this. Why don't I do this! I have favorites but I hardly ever have any on hand. I mostly drink homebrew and one-offs I guess.

If I have the money, these are the commercials if they're fresh ...

Yards Brewing - GW Tavern Porter, TJ Tavern Ale, and their version of a so-called saison.
Founders Porter.
Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen and Original Helles.
Franziskaner Hefeweizen.
Hoegaarden witbier.
Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn - Purchased by the case when it's in season. My absolute favorite beer in the world.
Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler (when I visit home in the Midwest)
Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager

So far, my best homebrews have been American blonde ale/lagers, American hefeweizen, and Kolsch-style ales.

Last edited:
I usually buy a case when I’m out of town if I can find a well stocked beer distributor. Keep those in reserve for times like right now when the kegerator is empty. Boddingtons is my go to for a refreshing and tasty brew.

Miller Lite, Angry Orchard, and Mike's (Because we have friends who think ANYTHING close to craft beer is poison)

Guinness Extra, Bells Two Hearted, SNPA, (Because we have friends who think they are craft beer aficionados, but are sure ALL home brew is poison)

Shorts Bellair Brown - (Because I LIKE IT)

Yuengling (me) and Michelob Ultra (SWMBO). In the Fall I'll add Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. At some point I expect the Mich Ultra will be the only beer we buy at the store.

Session Lager. It reminds me of what macro lagers were like in the pre-lite beer era. The box that 12-packs come in proclaims "Mom was an import. Dad was a forty". You can play rock, paper, scissors with the icons under the caps (which are labeled "tools required") and the 11oz hand grenade bottles are cool.

It also comes in cans.

oir6is9.jpg

If I couldn't homebrew, and had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life, I could be happy with Session.

A bit boring I guess.... Sierra Hop Hunter is the go-to beer when we are headed out for a backpack trip somewhere (usually don't take the time to bottle from the kegs) so I always pick up a 12 pack when it comes on sale. Just got a 12'er of Kona Hanalei IPA and that may become a regular as well. The SWMBO always has a few Mike's Lemonade in the beer fridge too.

Knee-deep tanilla porter
Sintax peanut butter porter
Chimay blue
North Coast
Brother Thelonious Le Merle, PranQster or Old Rasputin
Allagash Curieux
Something from Rogue
Something local.

Whateverelse catches my attention while I'm at the liquor store

Home brew is great, but I don't always want to brew, sometimes I just want a beer. Not several gal of it.

OK, I'm going to build a six pack of my choices. This will be my final answer, until I read more posts and realize what I forgot.

Old Rasputin
Bent Dark Fatha
Toppling Goliath Naughty 90
Bell's Two Hearted
Castle Danger Cream Ale
Unibroue Le Fin du Monde

Back