"What is the best beer you have ever had"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg4579

Reaction score
“What is the best beer you have ever had?”, said an acquaintance who had found out that I am really into beer. This same question has probably been posed to me 100x previously in different fashions whenever someone finds out about my craft beer hobby. Through the years I had generated this almost automatic reply that goes something like, “There are so many different styles of beer that I enjoy and that it is very hard for me to pick just one.”. That usually satisfies the person asking the question and we move along in the discussion. This time was different, and my inquisitor didn’t think that was an acceptable answer and persisted. I told him I would think about it and get back to him, and I was able to narrow it down to two.

Being on this site I do not to tell you that I have ticked thousands upon thousands of beers and have quaffed some of the most sought after beers in my time. What might surprise you (like they did me) was my answers that I provided him the next time we spoke:

Beer #1, was enjoyed three years back on the opening day of trout season here in PA. I was camping with friends and the weather that weekend was an absolutely perfect sunny and 72 degrees. I had been standing streamside since 5:45 in the morning to ensure I secured my carefully selected spot and had quite the morning fishing. The time was now 11:30 and I met up with my buddy Eric to grab some lunch back at the truck and get a beverage. I pulled a couple of ice-cold Sly Fox Pikeland Pilsner cans out of the cooler and the two of us sat on the tailgate, ate our sandwiches and drank those beers. I can still taste it now, and between the excellent morning of fishing, me being absolutely parched and that beer tasting so damn good it just vividly sticks out in my mind.

Beer #2, was enjoyed during deer season two years back. A group of guys were staying in a friend’s hunting camp and it was a Saturday. My good friend Eric and I have been hunting together for over 15 years and neither of us had ever gotten a buck before (I am a much better fisherman than I am a deer hunter). It was almost noon and I had agreed with Eric that if nothing had happened before noon I would make my way to his stand and push out some thick laurel that was nearby. I was making my way over to him through some thick brush and I heard something kick out. It wasn’t 10-seconds later when I heard the shot and quickly made my way over to Eric. He had shot his first buck, a beautiful 8-pt deer. After I helped him get it back to camp I went and grabbed the “best” beer we had in the camp fridge, which happened to be a Backwoods Bastard. As we sat outside recapping the day’s events and passing that bottle back and forth I recall it tasting absolutely incredible.

As I racked my brain to see what stood out in all those beers I had consumed I was quite surprised that these two took the cake. Yes, I thoroughly enjoy both beers every time I have them, but surely some sought-after whale consumed in a 2-oz pour with a bunch of folks at a tasting would take the cake. I never would’ve guessed those beers would win out. In the end I found that the perfect beer for me is a combination of time and place just as much as the beer in my hand.

So what say you TalkBeer, what is the best beer you ever tasted (and hopefully a bit of backstory).

Cheers!
Greg

Mine is Saint Arnold's Bishop Barrel 6, sitting on the front porch of a terrific brewpub with my best friend on a perfect Tuesday afternoon.
The beer was terrific, but the setting elevated it to best beer status.

Ok, ill play along.

Best beer of my life was Southampton's Berliner. It was the first beer I drank after becoming a father. I guess it helps that it was rare as **** and I was saving it for that moment but I also enjoy well made berliners more than any sane person should.

Second best beer of my life was Fantome Ete. It was an older bottling from many years back when Fantome was a shelf turd in PA. I opened it when my son was born.

Best beers that were drank without a cooresponding life changing event? Voodoo Black Magick. Like, all of them. PVW, AB, BT it doesnt matter thats my favorite stout and the fact its brewed in PA makes me proud. Also, Fantome classic saison from 8ish years ago was a beer to end all beers. Prior to that moment, I didnt know it was possible for a beer to be that complex and enjoyable.

Honestly, I get asked this same question a lot in person and instead of being truthful like I just was...I usually say something really mundane like "Nugget Nectar" or "Yuengling" or something I know the other person is familiar with so they wont continue to interrogate me about it. I hate people.

Last edited:
64569-cool-story-bro.gif

A cold as **** Miller High Life after an 80 mile bike ride on a 95 degree day.

Rode from Atlanta to Creature Comforts last summer, about 70 miles... On the hottest day of the entire ****ing summer. According to my Garmin computer the average temp was 102.5, maxing out at 111.

So yeah... I'm on board with this line of thinking. What a stupid ****ing idea that was of mine that day.

The best beer I've ever had has to be the 3L bottle of Supplication opened at my buddy Adam's wedding last May. It was an outdoor wedding on a beautiful spring day, tons of great beer and even better company, but a few friends and I surprised Adam with this bottle and his reaction was priceless. Probably my favourite beer experience to date.
2015-05-23%2017.41.05_zps99rqzg7q.jpg

“What is the best beer you have ever had?”, said an acquaintance who had found out that I am really into beer. This same question has probably been posed to me 100x previously in different fashions whenever someone finds out about my craft beer hobby. Through the years I had generated this almost automatic reply that goes something like, “There are so many different styles of beer that I enjoy and that it is very hard for me to pick just one.”. That usually satisfies the person asking the question and we move along in the discussion. This time was different, and my inquisitor didn’t think that was an acceptable answer and persisted. I told him I would think about it and get back to him, and I was able to narrow it down to two.

Being on this site I do not to tell you that I have ticked thousands upon thousands of beers and have quaffed some of the most sought after beers in my time. What might surprise you (like they did me) was my answers that I provided him the next time we spoke:

Beer #1, was enjoyed three years back on the opening day of trout season here in PA. I was camping with friends and the weather that weekend was an absolutely perfect sunny and 72 degrees. I had been standing streamside since 5:45 in the morning to ensure I secured my carefully selected spot and had quite the morning fishing. The time was now 11:30 and I met up with my buddy Eric to grab some lunch back at the truck and get a beverage. I pulled a couple of ice-cold Sly Fox Pikeland Pilsner cans out of the cooler and the two of us sat on the tailgate, ate our sandwiches and drank those beers. I can still taste it now, and between the excellent morning of fishing, me being absolutely parched and that beer tasting so damn good it just vividly sticks out in my mind.

Beer #2, was enjoyed during deer season two years back. A group of guys were staying in a friend’s hunting camp and it was a Saturday. My good friend Eric and I have been hunting together for over 15 years and neither of us had ever gotten a buck before (I am a much better fisherman than I am a deer hunter). It was almost noon and I had agreed with Eric that if nothing had happened before noon I would make my way to his stand and push out some thick laurel that was nearby. I was making my way over to him through some thick brush and I heard something kick out. It wasn’t 10-seconds later when I heard the shot and quickly made my way over to Eric. He had shot his first buck, a beautiful 8-pt deer. After I helped him get it back to camp I went and grabbed the “best” beer we had in the camp fridge, which happened to be a Backwoods Bastard. As we sat outside recapping the day’s events and passing that bottle back and forth I recall it tasting absolutely incredible.

As I racked my brain to see what stood out in all those beers I had consumed I was quite surprised that these two took the cake. Yes, I thoroughly enjoy both beers every time I have them, but surely some sought-after whale consumed in a 2-oz pour with a bunch of folks at a tasting would take the cake. I never would’ve guessed those beers would win out. In the end I found that the perfect beer for me is a combination of time and place just as much as the beer in my hand.

So what say you TalkBeer, what is the best beer you ever tasted (and hopefully a bit of backstory).

Cheers!
Greg
xqxhOvH.gif

The correct answer was the first (fresh) King Henry I ever had. One of the first beers I ever traded for.

Also Rumpkin poured directly out of the rum barrel at GABF.

No sentimental ****.

Rode from Atlanta to Creature Comforts last summer, about 70 miles... On the hottest day of the entire ****ing summer. According to my Garmin computer the average temp was 102.5, maxing out at 111.

So yeah... I'm on board with this line of thinking. What a stupid ****ing idea that was of mine that day.
Me too, walked like 5 miles in 90 degree weather and an ice cold dales pale ale was suddenly the best beer I had ever had.

Best is a bottle of super fresh Lente which was drank after an 09 Cable Car the night my wife gave birth to my youngest son Leonidas. In Germany, where he was born, you cant stay in the hospital with them.

By the way, he was conceived in a porta potty at an Ithaca beer fest, (vip section, hey, I have SOME class) after drinking way too much Superfriends . . .which is the best beer I have had that I can never have again.

And now, I havent had a drink in many months.

The stupid generous pour Lively gave me from the keg of DH is the most hedonistic beer experience of my life. #2 is probably the 1996 Iris he opened. #3 is drinking Peroni, eating salume on the coast of Como in Spring.
huh

I too have had the pleasure of trying lots of rare beers over the years. Not surprisingly, none of them have been the best beer I've ever tried. I agree that the experience is the best part. Not sure I can name the best beer I've ever tasted, but I can easily recall one of the better experiences in my life involving beer. My brother, who enjoys beer but isn't into it like I am, went on vacation with me to Cape Cod a couple years ago. I stopped at Tree House on the way and got lucky with a couple growlers of Julius before heading to the beach house. He'd never even heard of Tree House, but he's always enjoyed IPAs. One of my fondest memories will be crushing a 64oz growler of day old Julius on the beach with my brother. We never spend time together anymore, so it was really nice to just sit there and shoot the **** while enjoying the place (and the beer, of course). It was also hilarious watching him get in the water with the sole intention of pissing, then coming back to his chair for more beer.

The last great beer I can remember having was coming back to San Francisco after living in Portland for awhile. The first thing I did: I drove to the Mission, flipped a coin between Taqueria Cancun or Farolito (Cancun won), got a super al pastor burrito, and went to Dolores Park. On the way I picked up a bomber of Anchor Steam. It was so amazing I nearly cried. Sitting in the park eating a burrito and drinking Anchor Steam.

The best beer I've ever had has to be the 3L bottle of Supplication opened at my buddy Adam's wedding last May. It was an outdoor wedding on a beautiful spring day, tons of great beer and even better company, but a few friends and I surprised Adam with this bottle and his reaction was priceless. Probably my favourite beer experience to date.
2015-05-23%2017.41.05_zps99rqzg7q.jpg
Busted out my 3L Supp for my wedding last September -
12189608_10103992391916423_3600395911636226109_n.jpg

Hey there Talkbeer family, this is a good question. You see it all started with a box of mint-condition 1918 liberty-head silver dollars. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going? Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...

Eh, why didn't you get something useful, like storm windows, or a nice pipe organ? I'm thirsty! Ew, what smells like mustard? There sure are a lot of ugly people in your neighborhood. Ooh, look at that one. Ow, my glaucoma just got worse. The president is a Democrat! Hello? I can't unbuckle my seat belt. Hello? There are too many leaves in your walkway...

2010 Vanilla Rye with my dad and wife after the Giants won the Super Bowl. Not sure if it was because I was so f'in ecstatic or so f'in drunk.

Any beer on the mountain after my last run for the day snowboarding. Preferably snowing and at least sub 25. I guess this could also apply to any beer on the mountain while snowboarding.

Back