Erdinger Hefeweizen clone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nothing else, it's still going to be a great tasting brew and I'll take notes, learn from my mistakes, and redo the recipe and try again.

Wish me luck!

DY

That's the spirit! Be sure to revive this thread and let me know how it turns out. Erdinger is a clean wheat, vs. fanz and weihen. Keeping those ferment temps under control like he recommended should help control the bananas in your beer. Personally I love the banana and clove, but can not stand when it goes to Bazooka Joe.

No luck needed, it'll be a great beer even if it doesn't resemble Erdinger in the end.

I'll definitely keep you posted. I should have the ingredients on Wednesday afternoon, so I'll be brewing it Wednesday evening.

I've not used WP300 before but I've heard it really bubbles up. So instead of my 5 gallon carboy, I'm going to use my 6.5 gallon plastic bucket. Or should I purchase one of those 7.8 gallon buckets for wine???

FWIW my hefe was bottled yesterday (all 11 gallons) and tested wonderfully. Probably my best effort to date.

I used a 6.5 gallon bucket and a 6.5 gallon carboy. The bucket blewoff for two days the carboy didn't.

They say WLP300 and wyeast 3068 are the same but I like 3068 more. It has more clove. Both are bananas.

That's great to know. I'm going to use my bucket with Revvy's airlock/vinyl blowoff tube setup.

Congrats on your successful Hefe brew!

Update:

I brewed this Wednesday afternoon. For the final recipe:

6.0 lb German Wheat Malt
4.0 lb Belgian 2 row Pale Malt
0.5 oz Tettnang [4.5%] (90 min) 8.5 IBU
0.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.0%] (45 min) 6.5 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [8.0%] (12 min) 3.0 IBU
1 Pkg White Labs #WLP300 yeast

In this combination, the hops came out to exactly 18 IBU per Erdinger.

OG before pitching the wort was 1.058 (Beersmith estimated 1.057).

This morning I got up and the airlock is percolating beautifully.

So far...so good! *fingers crossed*

I've read that Erdinger and a couple other hefeweizen brewers add lager yeast to the prime before bottling. Would I add a whole packet of lager yeast? I'm worried about bottle grenades going off...!!!

Thanks in advance!

DY

Bottling success!!! OG was 1.058 and FG was 1.017 with Actual ABV (according to BeerSmith) at 5.35. So far, so good.

As for the lager yeast to bottle with: I went up to my LHBS, told him I was attempting the clone and I needed a neutral lager yeast. He gave me Saflager S-23 and recommened to use very little so I wouldn't blow the caps off the bottles: ~1/8 of the packet.

During priming, I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar with about 1 tsp of S-23, bottled it, and now let's keep our fingers crossed! Hopefully, this will create the extra carbonation I'm looking for.

As this is my third brew ever, wish me luck!

DY

You'll be fine, still not sure on the bottling yeast idea, don't see it hurting and true to the original. Had a 6'er of Fraziskanner over the weekend, and a Weihenstephan at lunch last week. I can't recall if Erdinger has as much of the bubble gum as those, been a couple years. Too much for me, I like sessionable wheats.

My Sunshine Wheat Clone went into the kegerator last night to carb, after the cream ale blew air :( sucks, that was a good beer.

I personally much prefer Franziskaner over any other wheat beer. But, that being said, I havnt had one that I would turn down. I have a Franz clone kit from Austinhomebrew.com that I will be brewing up in a month or so. I just brewed there Belgian Wheat beer this weekend, so interested to see how that turns out. Its been in the fermenter since saturday afternoon, and it smells WONDERFUL!!!

I will be checking in on this thread often to see how things turn out!!

I'll tell you what: I recently brewed Wayne's original Blue Moon clone - I'm drinking an ice cold one now and it knocks the socks off ANY ale or beer I've ever had. Kudos to Wayne!
I hope this Erdinger Weissbier clone comes out half this good.

DY

Day 7 post bottling:

I couldn't wait. I had to put one in the fridge and pop the top. Definitely a hefeweizen but it is VERY thick in texture but smooth - like chocolate milk. I know this is still green but I personally love it - wifey didn't care for the thickness but as she said, give it a few weeks.

Incidentally, I was reading in an old brew book from the 1850s about Weissbier...recipe called for 2/3 part Wheat malt and 1/3 part malted barley, hops, and water. I may try 2/3 wheat with the next version.

Stay tuned...

Post bottling day #10:

I popped a bottle open and poured it in my Erdinger glass. It is very muddy looking from the yeast but that "thickness" texture is gone. There are now LOTS of suds...VERY fizzy (carefully pouring, the foam was 1/3 of the volume in the glass and lots of bubbles racing up from the bottom of the glass).

Tho this is still green, the initial taste has that champagne-like fizz and the citrusy zing of Erdinger. However, it is still has a bitter aftertaste and the flavor is still developing.

I'll give it a couple more weeks of bottle conditioning and then I'll do a side by side comparison of the real McCoy. So far, so good!

DY

Ok, had to pop a top again. It's amazing how quickly the taste changes between last night and tonight. It has tons of fizz and now it's very grapefruity. I didn't tell her what beer it was when I gave her a sip, so she asked, "did you buy more Erdinger???! Oh wait, that's not Erdinger - it's a little bitter at the end..." That's a great sign!

Here's a few pics:

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/damnyankee20/026.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/damnyankee20/028.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/damnyankee20/029.jpg

As you can see, it needs time to condition and clarify.

DY

heaven in a bottle!! I havnt dranken a Hefe in about 2 weeks. I wont drink one for the next 3 either. Im waiting for my Bavarian Hefe to be ready before I have another drink of hefewiesen. SO, im using this to get me by for the time being. Man its been a long 2 weeks!!!
68249_1771680456516_1374393602_1954648_640979_n.jpg

Thank you! This is my 3rd brew ever and I tried to assemble the recipe from various sources (with the help of RSR).

The initial fizz and grapefruity-ness resembles Erdinger...we have to wait and see after it conditions as to what adjustments I need to make. Adding the 1 tsp of lager yeast during bottling really gives it that additional sparkle and fizz.

Stay tuned...

i have read above a few posts about lager yeasts in bottles, but official Erdinger website is telling something different:
http://www.erdinger.de/en/products/qualitaet/flaschengaerung.html

Bottle fermentation

A guarantee of quality and taste

Bottle fermentation is a specific top-fermenting process for maturing the beer and for enriching it with carbon dioxide. It is traditionally used in Bavaria and this is where it is most commonly found. Using this process, the wheat beer does not mature in the tank, but in the bottle or keg.

Erdinger Weissbräu is the only brewery to apply this elaborate process on such a large scale with all its yeast-containing wheat beers. This guarantees consistent and outstanding quality of flavor in all products.

So lets break it down one recepi. Does anybody had a spot on clone of the Erdinger?

I will go for wyeast 3638 and hersbrucker

Cheers

So lets break it down one recepi. Does anybody had a spot on clone of the Erdinger?

I will go for wyeast 3638 and hersbrucker

Cheers

Has the erdinger brewers given up these project?

I guess there are no successful erdinger clones then. Thats to bad

Alright folks, I think it's high time this thread became active again. I've been searching for an Erdinger clone for MONTHS but to no avail. I plan to brew my clone in about one week and I'll post updates for those who are interested.

Having read the previous comments, I've put together a recipe of my own:

Malts:
4.6 lbs German 2-row Pilsner Malt (45%)
5.6 lbs German Wheat Malt (55%)

Hops:
0.5 oz Hallertau (boil 60 minutes)
0.5 oz Tettnang (boil 35 minutes)
0.25 oz Perle (boil 5 minutes)

Yeast:
Wyeast 3056 (primary/secondary)
Harvested Erdinger Yeast (bottle)
I currently have a yeast starter that I've made by harvesting the lager yeast present in the bottle.

I'm using a double decoction mash profile and estimating a total efficiency of 72%. My total pre-boil mash volume is set at 7 gallons (I always tend to boil off more than expected and I'm saving some wort for bottling) and my post-boil OG is estimated to be 1.051.

I'm not entirely sure of the order the hops are added (guess I just don't have nose/taste for it yet), but what I've got here works out to be about 17.6 IBUs.

My plan is to ferment for two weeks with Wyeast #3056 in the primary, and then transfer to a secondary for another two weeks. At this point, I plan to siphon all the beer back into my boil kettle to boil it for approx. 10 minutes to kill off all the remaining ale yeast.

At this point, I'll quickly chill it back down to around 55F, pitch the yet-to-be-determined amount of harvested Erdinger bottling lager yeast, along with 1.34 quarts of (OG 1.051) unfermented wort that I previously saved from the initial boil. I'll then give the whole thing a thorough mixing before bottling. The bottles will stay in a 55F environment for two weeks before spending the following few weeks in the fridge.

Now this is about the closest guess I'm able to offer. Any comments?

Hi All,

A buddy of mine swears this is the best beer he's ever had. I'm not familiar with German beers whatsoever. So, upon reading up on Erdinger and Hefeweizen beers, I have discovered there are several varieties of Hefeweizen.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to which Erdinger Hefeweizen which has hints of cloves & bananas? Is there a clone for this?

Thanks in advance,

DY

I had the privilege of trying this Erdinger Weissbrau Weibbier 30 years ago when I was touring Europe. When I asked for it again in Greece, they'd never heard of it and they just laughed at me. They make some killer food in Greece :rockin:, but they don't know anything about beer.

I asked for it again in the US. They told me it was a wheat beer, I HATE wheat beers. I am so turned off on wheat beers, I din't look for it again.

Then on Saturday we went to a German Beer Garden, "Der Biergarten" here in Sacramento. They had it advertised everywhere, I was taken back in time! I had to try it again!!!!!! They had it on tap.

http://www.erdinger.de/en/erdinger-weissbier-company/brewery.html

I was in love all over! Wow! I forgot!

And I HATE wheat beers! This is truly the Champagne of Wheat Beer.

Now I gotta try this clone recipe. :D

Did I say I HATE wheat beer?

Conclusions:

I did TJ's clone recipe for the grain & hops with Wyeast 3068. It's very clean & crisp. A very fresh Hef.

Not a lot going on. Not complex at all. It is billed as the Champagne of Wheat beers, can't have much else going on if your aiming for Champagne. The wheat malt comes through very nice. :mug: This is a wheat beer that tastes like a wheat beer. This needs the carbonation & the cooler temp, in the bucket it tastes like crap.

I did do it differently by keg & force carbonation. No more bottles for me. My 1 piece of advice is......................... time. I fermented in the primary for 2 weeks. Then secondary for 2 weeks. Then it needed 2 additional weeks carbing up & cooling down in the kegerator.

I tried it 1 week into the keg and it still tasted awful. I was starting to really doubt myself. 2 weeks & it was good. It's not bitter or fizzy. There is banana, fruit everywhere. Sampling this recipe & the commercial version side by side as it was fermenting was very unforgiving.

This clone beer tasted NOTHING like the real thing. Now that it has improved, I'm not so sure. I'll have to buy some more of the real stuff!

I'll brew this again! :rockin: I did let it ferment at 68* F.................. Mistake. Next time I'll try it at the 56* F mark. :eek: The yeast was good. But again I'm all about experimentation............. can you say 3056?

P.S. After brewing this myself & having the hands on experience, I now know what these guys are saying between the lines. Some of you guys are spot on, some of you are just hinting at the real story. Just an FYI............ guys........... If you want to say something................ SAY IT! Don't make us guess!!!!!!

Back