Equipment testing / software tweeking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootvonRoot

Reaction score
after a dismal last brewing session that involved new equipment and procedures I will be conducting extensive equipment tests and will, as a secondary effort, be tweeking my Beersmith numbers for my equipment SO

for temperature tests i need to use something similar to grain to absorb the heat to get my initial mash water temperature (i figured why not while i test other things) and i was thinking of using rice maybe? something cheap - what do y'all think?

Different materials have different 'specific heat's which is a measurement of how much energy it takes to heat them up. Rice may be different than barley so besides losing all of that rice the data might not apply to barley.
Haven't tested it but here's an on-line strike temp calculator for barley:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

This should get you very close...

I'm not quite understanding what the problem is. You should be able to easily calculate the desired strike water temperature with brewing software or manually with a formula and hit your mash temps dead on or very nearly so. Palmer's, "How to Brew" has the formula along with some others. Maybe it's your procedure that's giving you fits. Tell us about it an we may be able to advise better.

...for temperature tests i need to use something similar to grain to absorb the heat to get my initial mash water temperature (i figured why not while i test other things) and i was thinking of using rice maybe? something cheap - what do y'all think?

I use beersmith... assuming you are using a GOTT cooler (e.g. Rubbermaid) all you need to do is heat some water up to about 180 degrees and then pour it in the mashtun to preheat it. Then wait for the water to come DOWN to the strike temperature before doughing into the strike water in the mashtun. FWIW - No need to dump the preheat water as that will be your strike water.

If you follow the recipe to a 'T' you will find that your rest temps do not often match because the initial temperature of your grain varies. So, instead of blindly following the strike calculation in the recipe use the 'strike/infusion temp' tool. Be sure to use an accurate thermometer to measure your dry grain temp; also be sure to test several different areas of the grain as it heats up while being crushed.

I just started using Beersmith as well - i'm just wanting to 'dial-in' my temps ... get the coefficients of my set-up - i use the cooler method - and dig what you're saying JVD_X .... i've never taken my grain temp before - perhaps that's an area i need to start paying attention to... and while close, beersmith got me in the ballpark, well, got me somewhere near the pitchers mound - just looking to get to home plate - follow? :)

anywho - ya - i hear what your sayin'

In Beersmith make sure you set your Mash Tun weight, material, and other settings in teh Equipment dialog. Then, in Mash Profile, click "Details" and definitely get the Grain and Mash Tun Temps immediately before brewing.

Check and uncheck "Adjust Temp for Equipment" and you'll see the difference the Mash Tun Temp makes. Right now, I'm looking at a batch sparge mash with a step temp of 158F. Without "Adjust Temp for Equipment" checked, it's telling me to add 4.22 gal at 170.5F. Checked, it says 175.6F.

I'll usually add the water at about five degrees above the adjusted temp, so 180F in this case. Then I close the cooler and let it even out for a few minutes before even checking the temp. I'm looking for the unadjusted temp of 170.5F, and I should be above it a bit. Opening the cooler and splashing the water around with the mash paddle ususally drops it quickly. Once I'm at the unadjusted temp, I mash in.

I just adjust stuff on the fly and made beer while dialing in my set up. Testing with alternative materials is way too high tech for me. Just keep brewing and after a few real sessions you will have your numbers. Then you can drink the fruits of your labor.

ps- you can tell I don't have the slightest bit of scientist or engineer in my background.

Mash Tun weight?.... you mean actually weighing my cooler?

I configured that a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what is meant. I have 19lbs in there for the 70qt Coleman xTreme my friends and i use. One guy tared himself then stepped back on the scale holding the cooler.

It's 9 pounds for a ten gallon rubbermaid and 4 for a five gallon rubbermaid.

FYI - you will find that it is best practice to use a cooler no larger than is necessary to mash your grains. If you can fit the mash in the 5 gallons GOTT then use that. The effect of the extra headroom is not that noticeable in the summer/early fall but when it starts to get colder those coolers lose temp fast when they have a lot of air left in them.

Back