English Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
Hello -

I have a recipe from AHS for a chocolate stout I will be brewing this weekend. Whether I am creating my own recipes or brewing kits I always put the recipe in BeerSmith.

The recipe has what is labeled "English Crystal Malt". I've never used or heard of this malt. It also is not listed in BeerSmith.

Is there an alternative for this malt? Or possibly a different name it falls under?

Plain ol' American crystal malt that's about the same color (60L? 75L?) should substitute just fine. It may or may not taste exactly the same (probably not quite)

English Dark Crystal is usually 135 to 150 L. English Crystal is 60 to 80 as I recall. So there should be a crystal in BS that is close for a diastatic and color formulation.

So if I'm following this is merely a crystal malt and I can get close in color range but not necessarily in flavor? Is that safe to say?

That is my understanding .. for example, Belgian Special B is similar in color, and is often described as raisiny, but I have never heard EDC described that way.

So if I'm following this is merely a crystal malt and I can get close in color range but not necessarily in flavor? Is that safe to say?

Yes, If the recipe calls just for English Crystal its almost guaranteed the Medium or 55L i.e.(50-60L) The English guys almost always give a range.
You can sub American 60L and the color will be right and you will make a good beer, but the flavors are completely different. Will you notice it in a Chocolate stout? I dunno maybe, but if you can, get the English stuff.
:mug:
weez

Weez is spot on with the flavors. You should try and get English style if you can reasonably do so, there are complexities in the English types that the American versions don't have. Not bagging on the American stuff, just have a preference and a LHBS that carries an extensive grain offering.

Weez is spot on with the flavors. You should try and get English style if you can reasonably do so, there are complexities in the English types that the American versions don't have. Not bagging on the American stuff, just have a preference and a LHBS that carries an extensive grain offering.

Right now it's more about knowledge and how I'm entering it into BeerSmith.

I have the recipe with the exact ingredients as we speak. But say I like to make the recipe again but decide to build it as opposed to reordering their kit then I need to know what I'm working with.

I won't sub it and will order the real deal :)

I have the recipe with the exact ingredients as we speak. But say I like to make the recipe again but decide to build it as opposed to reordering their kit then I need to know what I'm working with.

I would substitute it next time and see if I could tell the difference. :)

You'll want to create separate malts into beersmiths database for each brand. Simpsons, Thomas Fawcett, etc. You really should be doing this for most if not all malts as there are distinct flavor differences between even base malts. German pilsner is different than Canadian. You should have different entries for golden promise, MO, floor masked MO, Optic, etc.

And I agree with z-bob too. If you already have everything but the English Crystal and can sub c60, give it a go. You're still going to make good beer. But definitely try some English Crystal some time.

You'll want to create separate malts into beersmiths database for each brand. Simpsons, Thomas Fawcett, etc. You really should be doing this for most if not all malts as there are distinct flavor differences between even base malts. German pilsner is different than Canadian. You should have different entries for golden promise, MO, floor masked MO, Optic, etc.

And I agree with z-bob too. If you already have everything but the English Crystal and can sub c60, give it a go. You're still going to make good beer. But definitely try some English Crystal some time.

That is good advice. I didn't even think about that. I just select my ingredients and go.

Beersmith has add-ons for a lot of these malts - Thomas Fawcett, Bairds, Simpson's, etc. Click on the add-ons button (right next to options) and you can get all these and more.

Beersmith has add-ons for a lot of these malts - Thomas Fawcett, Bairds, Simpson's, etc. Click on the add-ons button (right next to options) and you can get all these and more.

Awesome! I never opened the add-on section before. Cool stuff. Thanks Chicky

In this case, the AHS malt is 60 - 75 L. I presume that AHS doesn't commit to a particular maltster. AHS might be willing to tell you the current malt that they are supplying.
Else, when picking a maltster on Beersmith, pick one in that range.
On Brewer's Friend, the options would be United Kingdom - Crystal 60L or United Kingdom - Crystal 70L.
So I'd might fudge and log half the weight as 60L and half as 70L.

In this case, the AHS malt is 60 - 75 L. I presume that AHS doesn't commit to a particular maltster. AHS might be willing to tell you the current malt that they are supplying.
Else, when picking a maltster on Beersmith, pick one in that range.
On Brewer's Friend, the options would be United Kingdom - Crystal 60L or United Kingdom - Crystal 70L.
So I'd might fudge and log half the weight as 60L and half as 70L.

Someone already mentioned that British maltsters usually give a range on their crystal, hence why they're commonly called "medium" or "dark". They don't usually specify an exact color number.

Back