English ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selliott97

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first nutty brown ale and because of where I live I am finding it hard to get certain ingrediants so I will have to substitute a few things. This particular recipe calls for White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)- 1800 ml starter. All I have been able to find is Safale. So my question is, would the Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast work in place of the White Labs? Also, would it make much difference if I didn't make a starter and just poured the dry yeast right in?

I am getting ready to do my first nutty brown ale and because of where I live I am finding it hard to get certain ingrediants so I will have to substitute a few things. This particular recipe calls for White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)- 1800 ml starter. All I have been able to find is Safale. So my question is, would the Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast work in place of the White Labs? Also, would it make much difference if I didn't make a starter and just poured the dry yeast right in?

S-04 Is awesome and your gonna freak when you see how tight the yeast cake is. IT makes siphoning great.

S-04 Is awesome and your gonna freak when you see how tight the yeast cake is. IT makes siphoning great.

Your right, it is a great yeast. I haven't tasted it yet but I mistakenly used it on my first brew which is still in the fermentor. I say "mistakenly" because I was making a Belgian Abbey Ale and soon found out that S-04 is an English Dry Ale yeast. Within the first 12 hours, fermentation was and still is highly active.

Your right, it is a great yeast. I haven't tasted it yet but I mistakenly used it on my first brew which is still in the fermentor. I say "mistakenly" because I was making a Belgian Abbey Ale and soon found out that S-04 is an English Dry Ale yeast. Within the first 12 hours, fermentation was and still is highly active.

You can throw it right in dry, even though some say rehydrate I don't think it is necessary. It will substitute just fine for the White Labs maybe even better.

Latest posts

Back