ELLA hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefjrd

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got some Ella hops in recently and am thinking about making an ipa/apa with them. After a bunch of research, it doesn't seem to be a popular hop as of yet, and there's not a lot of posted experience with them. Anyone here have some experience with these hops? The descriptors from websites sound pretty good, floral/spicy in smaller amounts and getting fruity in higher amounts. I'm probably going to experiment with them soon, but I'd like anyone's input who's used them before so I can get a feel for them.

No one, huh? Well, maybe I'll post my results after making and testing. Care to share your recipes for a good hop taste test beer?

I used some in a hefewizen but the yeast obviously covered them up so I'm afraid I can't help you there. If you really want to get a feel for them you could always do a smash.

Just a quick update, I did a simple 2 gallon almost SMaSH IPA to test these out. I used only the Ella for hops, both bittering and flavor/aroma. I just took a gravity sample and it's about done fermenting and the sample tasted great! A lot of mango, passion/juicy fruit flavors come through without much of the spicy. It's still green, and I added dry hops for a five day addition. I'll report back with another taste review once it's kegged. So far, I recommend Ella if you're into the fruity citrus hops, and I am. It's currently just a tad bit more bitter than I'd like, as I'm not a huge bitter fan, but I can just adjust the bittering addition for the future. It could just be the greenness of it too. We'll see!

Thanks! I'll post some up when I keg it on Monday or Tuesday. [emoji106]🏻

Sounds good. I am hearing lots of good things about Conan and getting hop flavors through. I will have to try it. Thanks for the info!

Pelican Brewery out of Pacific City, OR makes an IPA using the Ella hop. It's called Umbrella IPA and it's pretty damn good.

Back