EdWort's Apfelwein Question #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
It's been about 7 weeks since I made Apfelwein. I checked the gravity today and it was 1.004. Fermenting temp was around 62 degrees.

Should I move this to a warmer room or do you think FG 1.004 is about right?

I'm 45 days (about 6.5 weeks) into a 6 gallon batch. It went from 1.072 to 0.998, and has been there for about three weeks. It isn't clear, but I don't know that it will clear as I used fresh pressed apple cider and not store bought clear apple juice. There is about an inch of lees on the bottom of the carboy, and I'm planning on racking to a 5 gallon carboy and let it sit for awhile. Maybe I'll let it sit in the garage coldcrashing for awhile, might clear it a bit more.

Bottling mine today that I had conditioning since October 13. Don't have corn sugar atm to carb, I think i'll just use 2/3 cups of table sugar. Anyone tried this amount before?

Bottling mine today that I had conditioning since October 13. Don't have corn sugar atm to carb, I think i'll just use 2/3 cups of table sugar. Anyone tried this amount before?

I did 3/4 cup brown sugar melted in 1 cup of water added to 5 gal. still cider. After 2 weeks in the bottle the carb was perfect!

I use Nottingham and mine never drop below 1.000. I imagine it would, but I bottle once it clears out and hits 1.000 and thats usually 3 weeks. I let it ride until week 6, though.

That said I stuck 12 bottles away for "my stash" to age until next christmas. I have such a supply going with all my batches running that ignoring them will be easy.

About 3-4 years ago, Edwort brought me some of his apfelwein, and I remember him saying it was 14 months old at that time.

It's hard, but try to age some. Just like with women, apfelwein gets better with age!

About 3-4 years ago, Edwort brought me some of his apfelwein, and I remember him saying it was 14 months old at that time.

It's hard, but try to age some. Just like with women, apfelwein gets better with age!

I have kegs of apfelwein that old and yes just like SOME woman, it does get better with age. I like to age it a minimum of 8 months.

You have any aging in bottles, ed? As for the woman, I find they need to be at least 18years aged, and hit their peak around 39 :tank:

So...I started this apfelwein 5 gallon batch on 1.2.12. I'm a new brewer...only 10 gallons thus far. I started this because of the race reviews. I have a silly question. I used 5 gallons of motts apple juice and 2lbs of light brown sugar w/ Montrachet wine yeast. Does this stink while fermenting? I came home to a super funky scent in the air...

So...I started this apfelwein 5 gallon batch on 1.2.12. I'm a new brewer...only 10 gallons thus far. I started this because of the race reviews. I have a silly question. I used 5 gallons of motts apple juice and 2lbs of light brown sugar w/ Montrachet wine yeast. Does this stink while fermenting? I came home to a super funky scent in the air...

For a few days I got a Sulfur smell. It smelled like rotten eggs. It's normal. :mug:

Back