Easy way to add light-medium smoke flavor to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleRusty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was recently cleaning out my garage and came across some old grains that I was about to throw out, but I decided to wing it and put together a quick brown ale with the intention that it might end up being a throwaway batch since the grains were crushed over a year ago. :drunk:

After primary fermentation, the flavor wasn't that great and I would describe it as stale, though I did think the grains tasted fine. So I persisted a bit longer, and let it age another month or so and also added Chipotle powder, since my base recipe I shot for something similar to Rouge's Chipotle Ale. I tried a sample recently, and it's actually not too bad with a decent spicy kick, but I'd like to add a bit more smokiness if possible.

Normally you'd obviously want to used smoked or peated malts to achieve this profile, but does anyone have experience with using any adjuncts such as smoked woodchips or liquid extracts? I've done staves before but that's when you're shooting for more of an oak flavor than a general smokiness.

Back