Easy cider recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
Hi guys just getting back into brewing again

I would like to get a gallon on cider ready for summer.

Anyone got a sinpme recipe?

I plan to use juice but need advice in what else needs adding.

Tannin etc?

Thanks!

Simple.

Grab decent cider or 100% AJ...no preservatives....VitC is fine. I prefer an ale yeast like S04...whole pak fine...half pak more than enough. Pinch the yeast....toss airlock on...7-10days later primary will be done.

No additives required up front.

Snag a hydrometer to check SG....depending on sweetness level can backsweeten if desired.

Can toss in cinnamon stick to spice it up.

Rack into another gallon container....cap and toss in fridge.

Nicely Drinkable within a month...improves over time.

Agree with bmp and that recipe wll certainly work, absolutely will get better in a few months. Target an OG of 1.055 add FAJC if your juice is < and suggest SO4 yeast. Will go dry. The additional FAJC brings some additional apple flavor.

I like tea in primary, many on the forums don't. Steep 3 or 4 black tea bags in some of the juice for 10 to 15 minutes. Adds tannens.

After primary add 1cinnamon stick a half clove and a vanilla bean for 4 to 7 days. Depending on taste preference. Consider a small amount of an acid blend to "brighten it up" once complete.

I usually do 4 gallons at a time:
  1. Bottled apple juice with no preservatives added except maybe vitamin C (Aldi's and Kirkland and Mott's are fine.) Unfiltered juice in gallon jugs that look like milk jugs almost always have benzoate or sorbate preservatives added, even if they come from a local orchard; you don't want that.
  2. Three or four ounces of sugar per gallon of juice.
  3. 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon
  4. White wine yeast. (Cote des Blanc is good, and it's a lot cheaper than ale yeast) I don't like using champagne yeast because it seems to strip out all the apple flavor.
It will ferment totally dry. Bottle it like beer. Let it bottle condition for at least 2 weeks before you open one.

I usually add a pint or so of sour fresh pressed citrus to a 5gal batch. For a 1gal, probably a lemon & 2 limes. Lime tends to get bitter over a couple of days. Adds a balance to the sweet if apples.

My super easy cider is as follows:

1 gal juice (use whatever you can get, but with nothing by C in it)
1 or 2 cans FAJC (1 can give you 6.5% ABV; 2 can = 7.5%)
1/4 packet Nothingham ale yeast

Pour off enough juice to make room for the FAJC.
Add yeast and shake good
tape 4 quarters on top of the lid and leave it screwed on loose

Depending on temp, you will have a decent cider in 14-20 days. It doesn't get any easier than this!

I like the slightly higher ABV in this over using just juice, AND the FAJC gives it a stronger apple taste. Also, you can experiment with FAJC mixtures like apple/cherry or apple/??. I really like the apple/cherry.

You want simple... and good, too?:

1) Juice.
2) Cote des Blancs yeast.
3) 6-8 weeks.
4) Done.

Curious, are you leaving in primary 6-8 weeks and bottling straight from there? Drinking it still? I just primed and bottled a gallon made with Cotes and started another gallon of Motts for fun. The taste test at bottling was really good so I started another right away. With no carb it was like a nice glass of wine - I was surprised given it was only 6 weeks young. The boss gave it the thumbs up, which is rare. :ban:

Curious, are you leaving in primary 6-8 weeks and bottling straight from there? Drinking it still? I just primed and bottled a gallon made with Cotes and started another gallon of Motts for fun. The taste test at bottling was really good so I started another right away. With no carb it was like a nice glass of wine - I was surprised given it was only 6 weeks young. The boss gave it the thumbs up, which is rare.

Still or carbonated, it's all good. I have one of each right now. Yum and yum.

Personally I rack once per week for the first couple weeks, then leave it alone after. It's not necessary but it slows fermentation, giving me more control over fermentation rate, and in theory, slower ferment should result in less CO2 scrubbing out the volatile aromas, helping to preserve as much apple character as humanly possible. I'm not absolutely sure any of this really matters, but it's stuff to think about.

Cheers.

Still or carbonated, it's all good. I have one of each right now. Yum and yum.

Nice! I'll make both as well.

May have to try multiple racking but right now keeping the temps down @60-65F to slow the ferment.

Back