Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so nobody thinks I was a ******, I pm'd rueliss a link to the recipe I used. Below is the recipe:

American Brown Ale Type: All Grain
Date: 12/13/2013 Batch Size (fermenter): 6.08 galBrewer: CK1
Boil Size: 8.26 gal
Boil Time: 60 min- BIAB End of Boil Volume 6.84 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 % Mash Efficiency 75.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Ingredients
11 lbsPale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.0 ozChocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
4.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
4.0 ozVictory Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.25 ozWillamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 ozAmarillo Gold [9.00 %]Boil 60.0 min
1.00 ozAmarillo Gold [9.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.75 ozAmarillo Gold [9.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 minHop
Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013

Disclaimer: this is pretty much based off BCS dirty water brown ale recipe...except I took some poetic license....like using british malts and bittering with Willamette (because I had it). Also, I used a quarter ounce of Amarillo to bitter because the recipe called for 2.75 oz and I had to buy 3, and that stuff is pricey!

I am also a morning brewer. Some chill music and a latte get the morning started rriigghhttttt

That recipe looks tasty, brokebucket. I have some amarillo in the freezer, would love to brew this, but I'm sad to read that others are saying amarillo is really grassy this year. I think I still need to brew as normal with it and see for myself.

I started my long holiday "staycation" by heating strike water at 0700 this morning. That got me done cleaning up from a trouble-free AG batch by noon, giving me the rest of the afternoon to run errands, work out, roast coffee, and now sit here reading HBT. I never used to be a morning person but now I really dig waking up before dawn.

Strike water is almost at temp, so I'm checking in. Started at 4:30 and it's a brisk 26F outside. Perfect for brewing a lager.

10 gallons of west coast pale ale today. Strike water heating, 40 degrees warmer today than last Saturday! Won't have to get the ice out of the hose for the chiller today!

My brew days typically go as follows :

5am wake up, shot from aeropress, half of a bagel, big glass of water

gym (upper body day, good luck squatting until you want to die then standing in your kitchen for 4 hours brewing).

Brew from 7-1pm

Take a nap because you've been drinking all morning

Wake up around 4pm, start the day over:drunk:

I'm at it myself. Actually mild temps in Md suburbs outside of D.C.

Just finished bottling a honey ale and got all my stuff together to brew an APA first thing tomorrow morning. Much nicer doing it early before everyone gets up and in the way.

Mashed in a little bit ago on an IPA that will be hopped with simcoe and amarillo. Hoping the amarillo isn't as grassy as people are saying it is this year. Got started around 7:30 today. All I had to do was get up and turn on the stove to heat up the strike water. Nice.

Brewed an American Brown Ale yesterday about 7:00 Am. Was done by noon. I love brewing early in the morning.

Roger

Early morning is the way to go. I've only started one all grain batch after 5am and I'll never do it again...

This Saturday I had my mash started by 3:00am, and had it boiled and (almost) chilled in time to leave at 10 to take my wife to The Hobbit. :ban:

Couldn't sleep, is I fired up the HLT. Cold out there!

Great minds think alike. Checking gravity on a cherry bock, hard root beer, and heating mash water while I figure out what I can brew with what I have while spending my Gift Certificates online while I try and figure what I need over what I think I need lol

Mashed in my Caramel Dunkel late due to bad valve on my propane, thankfully I had a back up, mashed at 5:10

Good morning early risers! Relatively chilly morning here in Virginia, but no wind, great brewing morning, going to try a mirror pond clone.

ForumRunner_20131227_072019.jpg

This morning's brew is Mandarin Breeze Amber Ale. Mashed in at 5:40 AM and just about ready to pull the bag out.

Any New Years Day batches being brewed? Don't really dig staying out all night, so I have a Holiday Red I will have ready to brew first thing in the morning. Start the year off right! :mug:

Same here. I don't do the "amateur night" thing on New Year's eve, so I'm set to start my Margarita Visions Pale Ale first thing in the morning. Grains are weighed out and will be ground tonight, everything is cleaned and sanitized, and the yeast starter is spinning.

I'm under the same air mass. I couldn'd to it at my usual time, either, but I'm finally going for it now. The mash is going in the kitchen now, and it should be close to 20F by the time I get outside to start the boil. I might call this my last batch until it starts to get a little more spring-like in these parts.

I'm under the same air mass. I couldn'd to it at my usual time, either, but I'm finally going for it now. The mash is going in the kitchen now, and it should be close to 20F by the time I get outside to start the boil. I might call this my last batch until it starts to get a little more spring-like in these parts.

I hear you. We haven't had a winter this consistently cold for a couple of years - I got spoiled. Might need to look into an electric BIAB setup to get me from December to March.

Going to my first brew of the 2014 season this monday morning and im not going let the fact that its going to be -13 with a wind chill of -50 stop me.

It's early morning somewhere on this planet, I think you're safe :)

Getting ready to transfer my Brown into the fermenter.

My early morning brews are almost always done in 4-4.25 hours, more consistent ... Wonder why, oh yeah I haven't started drinking yet since it's too early :ban:

Back