Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its supposed to be in the 20s here in the morning, oh well, the water is measured for my protein rest, the oats are toasted, and everything is in the mash tun for an oatmeal stout. I'm even going to do some work on my propane cooker first, including cutting some flashing for it.

I'm going to be on vacation for 28 days, I've got about 140 lbs of grain, so I bet I can stay busy when I'm not in the woods hunting.

estricklin said:
Its supposed to be in the 20s here in the morning, oh well, the water is measured for my protein rest, the oats are toasted, and everything is in the mash tun for an oatmeal stout. I'm even going to do some work on my propane cooker first, including cutting some flashing for it.

I'm going to be on vacation for 28 days, I've got about 140 lbs of grain, so I bet I can stay busy when I'm not in the woods hunting.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

It's shaping up that way so far!

Here is my flashing.

I also decided to smoke a pork butt, I'm about to cut into it about 15 minutes.

Now I just have to decide if I want to brew in the morning or wait until tomorrow evening. :)

I like this thread, just read through the whole thing. I brewed in the morning a couple brews ago and really liked it. Early for me, on a Saturday, is 8:30am. I usually either go out and drink too much on weekends or stay home and drink too much. So it doesn't make for easy waking in the morning that early (that and I love sleeping in when I get the opportunity). But I've been working on not doing that lately, so I plan to get up around 7 or 7:30 and get brewing by 8. Hopefully be done by 12:30 or 1. I suppose what I should do is get grains and water measured out the night before. Going to be brewing a helles with a step up starter I've been building over the last week and a half of WY2206. Best pils and a little Munich for the grist. Should be tasty.

beersk said:
I like this thread, just read through the whole thing. I brewed in the morning a couple brews ago and really liked it. Early for me, on a Saturday, is 8:30am. I usually either go out and drink too much on weekends or stay home and drink too much. So it doesn't make for easy waking in the morning that early (that and I love sleeping in when I get the opportunity). But I've been working on not doing that lately, so I plan to get up around 7 or 7:30 and get brewing by 8. Hopefully be done by 12:30 or 1. I suppose what I should do is get grains and water measured out the night before. Going to be brewing a helles with a step up starter I've been building over the last week and a half of WY2206. Best pils and a little Munich for the grist. Should be tasty.

I love a good Helles. Underrated style.

Just came across this thread while starting one of my own. Excuse the extract brew (on the AG page), but it is quiet and peaceful in the house still as I turn on the water for the chiller.

West Coast Blaster from BCS should be wrapped up by 9:30.

Brewing Saturday morning gives me something to look forward to Friday night. Cheers, early risers!

Just came across this thread while starting one of my own. Excuse the extract brew (on the AG page), but it is quiet and peaceful in the house still as I turn on the water for the chiller.

West Coast Blaster from BCS should be wrapped up by 9:30.

Brewing Saturday morning gives me something to look forward to Friday night. Cheers, early risers!

I brew the WCB a few weeks ago for the first time. It's currently bottle conditioning. I chose to adjust the late additions and yeast a bit

1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min @ 170
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min @ 170
1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [124.21 ml] Yeast 21 -

I brew the WCB a few weeks ago for the first time. It's currently bottle conditioning. I chose to adjust the late additions and yeast a bit

1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min @ 170
1.00 oz Centennial pellet [9.20 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min @ 170
1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [124.21 ml] Yeast 21 -

Yeah, I used Columbus as a bittering hop instead of something cleaner because I have so much laying around. The flavor came thru in the hydrometer sample. I am excited to sample the final product!

Christmas Rye Ale is mashing, cinnamon rolls are baking and the coffee is brewing. It's a beautiful (but chilly - 30*) morning out to boot. Good times.

Christmas Rye Ale is mashing, cinnamon rolls are baking and the coffee is brewing. It's a beautiful (but chilly - 30*) morning out to boot. Good times.

Lit the HLT at 0700. Outside temp was 15 degrees. Brewing an American Amber. MMMMMMMM, home roasted Casta Rican Tarrazu.:)

I love this thread.

I haven't been part of the early morning club in a while. Now that the cold is setting in, I find myself staying in bed longer. But I've recently had the bug to brew brew brew. I think I'll be up early on thanksgiving to get a brew or two done.

I like to call my morning brewing the "good morning chill out breakfast brew club." Just the dog and I in the garage while the lady sleeps.

My last brew I started my strike water at 7pm. I was totally done at about 1:30am. I probably won't do that again. Early morning brews here I come.

inthesound said:
I love this thread. I haven't been part of the early morning club in a while. Now that the cold is setting in, I find myself staying in bed longer. But I've recently had the bug to brew brew brew. I think I'll be up early on thanksgiving to get a brew or two done. I like to call my morning brewing the "good morning chill out breakfast brew club." Just the dog and I in the garage while the lady sleeps.

My dog is a faithful brewing assistant as well. Only wish I could share the bounty with him!

In the winter I set up my kettles next to the firepit and try roger both going at first light. Great to spend a day brewing and hanging out by the fire in chilly weather

Anyone planning an early morning t-giving day brew session? I hope to if I can get to the LHBS to get ingredients for an oatmeal stout. It'll be my first stout. If I can't brew tomorrow, then a black friday early AM brew session it will be.

Goldenboy said:
Anyone planning an early morning t-giving day brew session? I hope to if I can get to the LHBS to get ingredients for an oatmeal stout. It'll be my first stout. If I can't brew tomorrow, then a black friday early AM brew session it will be.

Black Friday stout!

I plan to brew a bitter on Friday morning. I'll probably be too full on Thursday to drink much, so getting up early shouldn't be an issue. Can't wait for this beer. Floor malted maris otter, calypso to about 30 IBU, and WY1469 west yorkshire yeast. Yuuuuuuumm.

I plan to brew a bitter on Friday morning. I'll probably be too full on Thursday to drink much, so getting up early shouldn't be an issue. Can't wait for this beer. Floor malted maris otter, calypso to about 30 IBU, and WY1469 west yorkshire yeast. Yuuuuuuumm.

I've got the same plan, that is assuming the extended family doesn't make me break out the '11 barleywine tomorrow night haha

Yes. I'm trying to decide on what to brew, IPA or maybe a Cream Ale. I have plenty of corn and 6 row but no rice left. I can go with the IPA and avoid driving in the rain.

I'm so glad I found this thread.

I will be firing up my newly made keggle for the first time tomorrow morning nice and early. I'm taking an oatmeal stout recipe from Midwest and augmenting it to a 6 gallon batch which I will turn into 3 different variations. 2 gallons will be a coffee variation with stone ground Jamaican beans, 2 gallons will be a mint variation with a little bit of cocoa, and the last 2 gallons will be standard recipe.

I cannot wait to brew at dawn.

I wrote up a hybrid recipe yesterday some where between an IPA and Cream Ale. It hits IPA Guidelines but on the light side which I want.

I've got corn all mashed from what was whole kernel dried super sweet corn yesterday. I had to grind and gelatinize that yesterday, then after it cooled to 152* last night I added a little amylase enzyme. This AM I very slowly reheated it on Ol' Potbelly up through mash steps. Once that was at 152* my other strike was ready and that is now mashing at 153*. Most likely I'll join the two mashes then do a single sparge.

Tuck needs walking, he has been very patient this morning.

krackin said:
Yes. I'm trying to decide on what to brew, IPA or maybe a Cream Ale. I have plenty of corn and 6 row but no rice left. I can go with the IPA and avoid driving in the rain.

I'd say if you want to make the cream ale then go for it without the rice. Just add some regular table sugar to get the same amount of dryness. I don't feel that rice really lends much flavor in a cream ale, it's mostly the corn that is the star. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. As a general rule I buy 50# bags of consumables. I ran out of rice, fed a bunch of it to pigs to use it up and forgot to reorder. I usually use dextrose for brewing, again 50# bags come in more reasonable for cost. Owning a farm, we tend to go bulk bags to tons.

Too bad we couldn't use feathers for hops.

This can't really be considered early morning brewing at this point, but I finished prepping my starter at 12:30 this morning, and was busy getting set up for brew day at 6am. Temps just passed into the 20s so it's time to crank these burners up!

About to mash in an Ordinary Bitter. Trying the no-sparge method with it. Movin quite slow this morning - the Nelson Suavin/Pacific Jade pale ale was tasting really good last night...

Need coffee.

4:45am got my water going, doughed in about 15 min ago. Biggest all grain batch, going for a Quad calling it Monk Tophula Quad and coffee is brewing and wife and kids sleeping, I sure do love early morning brews

It is starting to snow a little here now with low expectations of accumulations. I should do bottling but I'll wait just in case I get called out for winter highway treatment. It would really bite to get started and then get called.

I got started around 7am this morning. Doing a hochkurz step mash on a pilsner. Jammin' tunes, drinking coffee, and brewing on a Saturday morning. Righteous! There might be beer before noon.

No brewing for me today or tomorrow. I expect to be plowing my 16 mile route starting sometime tonight and tomorrow so I did bottling and brewed a batch yesterday and was all done early afternoon. Today is a day getting more wood worked up and errands a little later.

Mashed in a stout at 7:45 this morning. Nice smooth brew session - all cleaned up by noon, pitched some 05 at 12:30. Time for some lunch and a beer.

Back