Duotight Disconnects: Good for the Long Haul?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought Kegland disconnects because I thought they were the future, and I wanted disconnects that would hook up instantly to EVAbarrier. Then I saw that some people complain about the quality of Duotight products.

I can still return these, and I have enough Beckers to get me by until I order more.

Do they hold up over time, or should I go with the Germans?

I recently bought a pair of Duotight disconnects just to try them out. While they do look and feel a bit flimsy, so far they're working fine and I do like their lower profile. Time will tell how they hold up over the long haul but they aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I read that Duotight uses polypropylene on its stuff, and John Guest uses acetal, better known as Delrin. Acetal is really tough, but the web says it can absorb water.

Since John Guess doesn't make disconnects, I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm a barbs-and-Oetikers guy. Solid connections, with some effort required to get EVAbarrier tubing on the barbs. I tried some (JG iirc) but my kegerator is tight inside, so lines get stressed sometimes, which led to (small) leakage that convinced me to stay away from these super-popular, easy-to-use widgets.

Some folks have had bigger issues with leakage and/or breakage, but most seem very happy with them.

Best of luck either way you go, @Clint Yeastwood

I read that Duotight uses polypropylene on its stuff, and John Guest uses acetal, better known as Delrin. Acetal is really tough, but the web says it can absorb water.

Since John Guess doesn't make disconnects, I guess it doesn't matter.
there is a known issue with the PP stuff duotight put out. apparently if you let them soak in starsan * for an extended amount of time* it will degrade the plastic. i've had a few that i lost when pieces snapped, or threads tore out. i dont think its widely known but you can definitely find info here about it.

other than that, i'm with everyone else. they seem to work fine, no problems besides that.

My feeling was either a batch problem or pre change of material stock.
But I've got no evidence for it, there are a lot of them in use and if they all failed with starsan or simple use I think they wouldn't have a marketable product.
They do show failures on the thread though.

I use them for liquid and gas lines for over one year and had no problems. I think it is important to make sure you have clean line cuts (use a proper tool) and make sure you have a good double-click connection from the start. Not perfect, but I like better than other options I've tried.

fwiw, back when stuffing corny keg Out dip tubes with spiral epoxy mixing sticks to help balance beer lines was a thing it was determined that Star San would slowly eat up the Delrin plastic sticks if left in prolonged contact.

The obvious retort was "why would you leave anything soaking in sanitizer that long?"
Which is totally on point.
Don't do that...with any plastic.

Star San is supposed to work in 1 to 2 minutes of contact. After that it is no longer your friend...

Cheers!

fwiw, back when stuffing corny keg Out dip tubes with spiral epoxy mixing sticks to help balance beer lines was a thing it was determined that Star San would slowly eat up the Delrin plastic sticks if left in prolonged contact.

The obvious retort was "why would you leave anything soaking in sanitizer that long?"
Which is totally on point.
Don't do that...with any plastic.

Star San is supposed to work in 1 to 2 minutes of contact. After that it is no longer your friend...

Cheers!
This should be a sticky somewhere...

:mug:

Latest posts

Back