Duh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night for an ESB I'm brewing today. I go to get all my stuff together to brew and I find the vial of WLP002 still on the counter...duh. I have a pack of dry english ale yeast handy for emergencies. The question...I just pitched the vial into my flask that is on a stir plate, do I let that go for about 8 hours and pitch this evening, or would I be better off pitching the dry yeast? This is for an ESB with a OG of 1.048, 5 gal. batch. TIA.

I'd wait a day and pitch the starter. You're already making it, might as well use it. It should take off pretty quick.

I'd pitch the starter after 8 hours. Most yeast growth in a starter is complete after 12 hours, so 8 is close enough. And it's a low gravity beer, so it wouldn't be much of an underpitch anyways. I've made an ordinary bitter OG 1.039 with that yeast and no starter and it came out good.

Even though I really wanted to use the WLP002, I went with my back up dry yeast, S-04. The starter wort had sat all night at room temperature and I didn't want to take the risk of growing something in the starter that I didn't want. Probably not necessary, but I didn't want to take my chances.

Even though I really wanted to use the WLP002, I went with my back up dry yeast, S-04. The starter wort had sat all night at room temperature and I didn't want to take the risk of growing something in the starter that I didn't want. Probably not necessary, but I didn't want to take my chances.

That was probably the right choice since the wort was out all night.

That was probably the right choice since the wort was out all night.

Even so, I now have a 1L starter of WLP002 going right behind me and I can't help thinking I should use it up in a week. Must have willpower and just pitch it :drunk:

Back