Drying hops using a Ronco food dehydrator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Has anyone dried hops using a Ronco food dehydrator? Not sure if I'm going to try it, but I was just given one and was thinking about using it for this year's crop. I only have two plants, but I still think I'd have to do it in a few batches due to the size of the dehydrator.

I did last year, I think it's Ronco, but not positive. Hops ended up slighty burned and will probably go a different route this year..

Does your dehydrator have a dial to adjust temps? I have one that can be set to 95* (the lowest setting for herbs and spices), and it works great for smaller quantities of hops. I've never had them burn and they get really dry. The biggest limitation is quantity--especially if you only have four trays--but they work fine for me and turn out great dried hops.

Unfortunately it has no temp control. I may just go the fan/screen route.

Go with the screen. What's your rush? They will turn out better and you won't have the smell of mildly roasted hops hanging in your kitchen until somewhere between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Another option: you might be able to disconnect the heating unit from your dehydrator and use the fan and tray set up to get them done.

Still, GVH Dan makes a good point--the screen method is easy and cheap. I do most of my drying in the garage but I have dried them in the house using the dehydrator and didn't notice any lingering odors...not that hop smell would necessarily be bad thing.

Back