Dry yeasts identified - your opinions please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cml recently launched new yeasts, one sold as "northern ale" I wonder what this one is. A koelsch strain maybe?
Immediate reaction would be that someone's revived the old Danstar Manchester, but perhaps they've got their hands on the upcoming dry 1318 derivative that Lallemand have been working on.

Immediate reaction would be that someone's revived the old Danstar Manchester, but perhaps they've got their hands on the upcoming dry 1318 derivative that Lallemand have been working on.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/new-crossmyloof-haze-yeast.81978/

Here early tests showed really high attenuation and a bit of phenolic spice from norsk. They are discussing if this is actually more of a Belgian strain, maybe even diastetic? Has also a wide temperature range, just like a lot of Belgians have as well.

Oh,you mean this one?

"HøG-NORSK. Northern European Ale Yeast.

Suitable to brew low ester ales with a clean palate
Attenuation: 75-80%"

I'd suggest the fact it has Norsk in the name means it's a kveik, which also explains the temperature tolerance. One guy there talks about a touch of "phenol/booziness", others say it's clean, which sounds like a slightly stressed yeast more than Belgianness.

Not to mention the fact that yeast suppliers don't really go around swabbing beer bottles to create their stock. This would rarely work anyway because of filtration and/or pasteurization. They obviously get their stock from other suppliers/yeast banks or complacent breweries.
How many breweries are actually pasteurizing? I'm imagining the thermal stress would degrade the beer. I've successfully grown yeast from crystal clear bottled commercial beer by putting a drop on malt agar. My guess would be most breweries take reasonable measures to produce visually clear beer, but not to the point where they'd sterile filter it.

For a variety of reasons (hubris, a few beers and more curiosity than is good for me) I have taken it upon myself to try and work out what's really in those packets of Mangrove Jack's, Muntons, Morgans and other dry yeasts. What set me off was the fact that I have learned that Brewcraft definitely does not have their own yeast labs, and speaking with someone at Fermentis who let drop (beer is a wonderful thing!) that there is a facility in the UK that repacks Fermentis and Lallemand yeasts (and presumably others) for MJ and other brands
How do we know that Fermentis or Lallemand don't produce custom dried strains for third parties which they don't sell under their own label?

If done right pasteurization actually will give you a more stable product that might reach the customer in a better shape than without it.
All commercial breweries sterile filter their beer with the exception of some traditional beer styles (Hefeweizen) and some craft breweries but definitely not all of them.

Oh,you mean this one?

"HøG-NORSK. Northern European Ale Yeast.

Suitable to brew low ester ales with a clean palate
Attenuation: 75-80%"

I'd suggest the fact it has Norsk in the name means it's a kveik, which also explains the temperature tolerance. One guy there talks about a touch of "phenol/booziness", others say it's clean, which sounds like a slightly stressed yeast more than Belgianness.
I thought the same but it seems to be over attenuative for kveik. Also the spice seems not to fit with kveik, both soun more like a saison/Belgian something, which would also match the temperature recommendations. But who knows.... Last point speaking against kveik, I haven't heard of any dry yeast company selling kveik and cml does not produce yeast on its own.

Sorry to respond so late; work has kept me away from the more important things in life. :)

I know the internet is convinced S-04 is a Whitbread strain but sequencing has shown it's most closely related to 006 Bedford and 013.
Noted! I've got Suregork's yeast family tree in front of me right now. :)

M54 won't be Lallemand Koln, the latter is too new.
Thank you for spotting that. I didn't know when Köln entered the market.

I wonder if it's not S-189, the temperature tolerance and flocculation would fit.
Looking at the data sheet for S-189, I see a recommended fermentation temperature range of 12-15°C (53.6-59°F) while M54 is specified at 18 - 20°C (64 - 68°F). However, the latter is recommended for "California Common and lagers fermented at ambient (ale) temperatures." So I have no idea how to line that up. In fact, on that basis it could be S-23 or W-34/70 as well. Any ideas on the latter?

Bulldog clearly follow Mangrove Jack closely, presumably they're packed at the same factory - things like pack size are a good clue.
According to what I was told while speaking informally with a Fermentis employee over a few beers, this is correct. The facility is located in the UK and my personal opinion is that this is most likely SPL Ltd (formerly known as Sachetpacket Ltd. and now owned by iMake in NZ, i.e. Brewcraft i.e. Mangrove Jack's).

Crossmyloof used to follow MJ but supposedly they're now using more yeast from a German supplier.
Not familar with that one so I'll take your word for it. :)

Oh, and EDME is capitalised, it stands for the English Diastatic Malt Extract Company.https://www.edme.com/about/history/
Corrected.

Thank you!!!

Cml recently launched new yeasts, one sold as "northern ale" I wonder what this one is. A koelsch strain maybe?
Good question. Off-hand my guess is that they just "break bulk" from 500 gram Fermentis and Lallemand bricks and relable them. As is the case with quite a few homebrew shops out there. :) As a guess, their Northern Ale might be Lallemand Köln.

I agree that M54 can't be Koln. I postulate M54 = Superior Dry Lager = Mauribrew 497
Hmm... Interesting thought! Based on product data it's the best match! However, all MJ's other yeasts are Fermentis or Lallemand, so this would be an "odd one out". But yes, I see where you're going, and you make a very good point.

Good question. Off-hand my guess is that they just "break bulk" from 500 gram Fermentis and Lallemand bricks and relable them. As is the case with quite a few homebrew shops out there. :) As a guess, their Northern Ale might be Lallemand Köln.
No, doesn't fit with the description they have in the other forum of the resulting beer. It's highly attenuative and a bit spicy, so it sounds actually more like a saison to me, or a weird kveik.

How do we know that Fermentis or Lallemand don't produce custom dried strains for third parties which they don't sell under their own label?
Honestly, we cannot be really sure of that. But we can make an educated guess here.

On some older MJ packets that I still have it says they were packed in the UK. (I don't have any recent ones but from what I see on Google they no longer carry this notice.) A Fermentis employee told me informally that there is a facility in the UK (IMO most likely Sachetpacket LTD, now SPL and owned by iMake, i.e. Brewcraft, i.e. Mangrove Jacks) that repacks their yeasts for MJ. None of the other yeast brands say "Made in France" (where Fermentis' production facilities are located) or Austria (where Lallemand's EU production facilities are located).

So on the basis of that my personal guess is that Fermentis and Lallemand don't produce custom dried strains under other brand names. Given the fact that there are only so many yeast strains that stand up well to drying and that developing new ones requires considerable R&D investments, a scenario that involves them doing that for competing brands and not sell the yeast as part of their own product range is even more unlikely (to the point where I believe we can safely rule it out).

No, doesn't fit with the description they have in the other forum of the resulting beer. It's highly attenuative and a bit spicy, so it sounds actually more like a saison to me, or a weird kveik.
Hmmm... Agreed. That seems far more likely than Lallemand Köln. From what little I've seen so far that Northern Ale would be mostly a farmhouse style so a Saison would probably work there.

Besides the fact that this would be illegal in like 99% of the modern world without a license from the original manufacturer, it takes specialized equipment to package foodstuffs (yeast is food) under a modified atmosphere. You can't just open a 500g pack up and repackage it in your kitchen like a common drug dealer. I've also never met a homebrew shop who sold anything but original packages but maybe things run differently south of the equator.

I'm sorry but this thread is really chock full of the wildest, most unfounded speculation, so much that one has to wonder whether it it should be regarded just as a noise addition to an already quite noisy background. :confused:

I'm sorry but this thread is really chock full of the wildest, most unfounded speculation, so much that one has to wonder whether it it should be regarded just as a noise addition to an already quite noisy background. :confused:

Your thoughts are well documented and noted. You are of course free to express your opinion, and you are also free to quit following and posting to this thread if you think you might not learn anything from it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this thread is really chock full of the wildest, most unfounded speculation, so much that one has to wonder whether it it should be regarded just as a noise addition to an already quite noisy background.

So far, the only claims I have seen start with "I heard someone say ...".

But, like I said earlier ...

Subscribed. And looking forward to seeing the tasty brewing experiments (and other compelling evidence) that support the claims that are being made.

... and let the evidence offered support the claims.

:mug:

I thought the same but it seems to be over attenuative for kveik. Also the spice seems not to fit with kveik, both soun more like a saison/Belgian something, which would also match the temperature recommendations. But who knows.... Last point speaking against kveik, I haven't heard of any dry yeast company selling kveik and cml does not produce yeast on its own.

Nobody seems to be saying the Norsk Is a full-on saison, one guy in that thread seems to find a bit of "phenolic/booziness", which sounds like he can't quite express what he's tasting. I too got a slight weirdness from Voss which may be from not feeding itenough, TYB me tion a bit of spice in their official description :
https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

Also note the high attenuation listed - Omega list all theirs going over 80%. This all sounds more like kveik, not less. And the European dried yeast companies have been rather quicker to launch kveik - the German company that some link to CML has one IIRC.

Whilst the warm lager people like both 34/70 and M54 for their temperature tolerance, they find 34/70 doesn't flocc as well - and 34/70 is so famous you'd expect a better market if it was resold as German. That's my thinking behind S189 - there's a bigger market for Cali Commons than Swiss lager, it would work from a marketing perspective - and it seems to work quite well as a warm yeast. But I certainly wouldn't rule out Mauri/Coopers , you'd expect an antipodean company to use the southern hemisphere yeasts as their first port of call.

Yep, Koln only came out in the summer.

Repacking certainly does happen, with and without the knowledge of the source companies , a blatant example was when Lallemand took 18 months to get New England into retail packs. But CML seen to be way beyond that stage now, they're big enough to get custom packing done at source. Be interesting to see how Brexit affects them.

Last edited:
Your thoughts are well documented and noted. You are of course free to express your opinion, and you are also free to quit following and posting to this thread if you think you might not learn anything from it.
On the contrary, I'm learning that some homebrewers will believe the craziest, most ridiculous claims, such as "Some yeast suppliers are just buying 500 g packs and repackaging them in some back alley while somebody stands on the corner and looks out for incoming fuzz." :D

If you don't think this thread has gone beyond ridiculous that's your prerogative but please refrain from inviting other posters who think differently to stop contributing, if for no other reason than the fact that I couldn't care less.

upload_2019-10-1_7-14-45.png

On the contrary, I'm learning that some homebrewers will believe the craziest, most ridiculous claims, such as "Some yeast suppliers are just buying 500 g packs and repackaging them in some back alley while somebody stands on the corner and looks out for incoming fuzz." :D

If you don't think this thread has gone beyond ridiculous that's your prerogative but please refrain from inviting other posters who think differently to stop contributing, if for no other reason than the fact that I couldn't care less.

There's thinking differently and there's making baseless claims without citation, using personal disbelief as evidence. You're worse than the people you criticise. So for instance these guys have been openly repacking New England for nearly 2 years now :
https://www.geterbrewed.com/lalbrew-new-england-yeast-11g/

"Packed from the large microbrewery pitch in foil and vac packed to allow you to experience this amazing new yeast"

- Just what they were saying when it wasn't available in retail form and so they *had* to be repacking it. They pack 25g but you can tell from the url that they were expecting it to be a short term measure until retail packs arrived in Lallemand's standard 11g packs.

There's thinking differently and there's making baseless claims without citation, using personal disbelief as evidence. You're worse than the people you criticise. So for instance these guys have been openly repacking New England for nearly 2 years now :
https://www.geterbrewed.com/lalbrew-new-england-yeast-11g/

"Packed from the large microbrewery pitch in foil and vac packed to allow you to experience this amazing new yeast"

- Just what they were saying when it wasn't available in retail form and so they *had* to be repacking it. They pack 25g but you can tell from the url that they were expecting it to be a short term measure until retail packs arrived in Lallemand's standard 11g packs.

Excuse me? Someone can make baseless claims about yeast suppliers surreptitiously repacking third-party yeast and selling it as their own (presumably without consent otherwise why would they buy 500g packs from retailers instead of sourcing it directly?) but when I dismiss such a notion as ridiculous I have to provide evidence? Give me a break please... I wasn't aware that this was actually the "Anybody can put forward any notion, no matter how ridiculous, and it will be automagically made true, no criticism allowed" thread. :confused:

And the case you cited is completely different as there is full disclosure from the supplier and the yeast is still sold under the original brand name. I still wouldn't buy it from them though as unnecessary handling and simple vacuum packing will shorten shelf life considerably but anybody can choose differently of course.

Last edited:
Besides the fact that this would be illegal in like 99% of the modern world without a license from the original manufacturer, it takes specialized equipment to package foodstuffs (yeast is food) under a modified atmosphere. You can't just open a 500g pack up and repackage it in your kitchen like a common drug dealer. I've also never met a homebrew shop who sold anything but original packages but maybe things run differently south of the equator.
Both north and south of the dotted line, trust me on that. I've got a home brewing shop so I speak with a certain amount of knowledge of what goes on in the market. The thing is, as long as a reseller doesn't mention any copyrighted names or trademarked brands on the packet of yeast, few mainstream production labs (e.g. Fermentis and Lallemand) actually take the trouble to round them all up, sequence them and then start legal procedures against a small reseller. It's simply not worth it to them. As far as the conditions under which these yeasts are being repacked are concerned I agree with you that this should be done under proper conditions, but in practice this simply doesn't happen. Personally, I have heard criticism about the conditions under which the MJ yeasts are being packed, but I can't cite my source so feel free to dismiss that as hogwash if that works for you. Yet beer is resilient enough to deal with minor contamination, and home brewers tend to brew single batches in any case in their own kitchens so if one or two packets end up being a little iffy, it's very hard to trace that to yeast contamination as a result of breaking bulk and repacking. Of course the professional brewer wouldn't touch these repacked yeasts with a barge pole but home brewers seem to be fair game.

In that case I suggest that you either contribute useful information to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, or stop wasting your obviously valuable time following a thread you consider useless. But you're free to do whatever you want, of course. I'm sure everyone here can draw their own conclusions on the basis of your posts.

And the case you cited is completely different as there is full disclosure from the supplier and the yeast is still sold under the original brand name.
Which probably means that Lallemand haven't taken notice yet. They don't make a big fuss about small home brewing stores repacking their yeast from bulk, but they do draw the line at someone reselling the repacked yeast under the Lallemand brand or original product name, because they now can no longer vouch for its quality. Hence the "anonymous" repackaged yeasts that are being sold under whatever name or number the home brewing shop chooses to label the packets. They've got far more problems with someone maltreating their products but leaving the original brand names on it than something sufficiently anonymized so it can't stain their reputation.

I expect you to tell me at this point that I'm talking out of my bottom, as you are free to do, but that doesn't alter the facts.

Nobody seems to be saying the Norsk Is a full-on saison, one guy in that thread seems to find a bit of "phenolic/booziness", which sounds like he can't quite express what he's tasting. I too got a slight weirdness from Voss which may be from not feeding itenough, TYB me tion a bit of spice in their official description :
https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

Also note the high attenuation listed - Omega list all theirs going over 80%. This all sounds more like kveik, not less. And the European dried yeast companies have been rather quicker to launch kveik - the German company that some link to CML has one IIRC.

Whilst the warm lager people like both 34/70 and M54 for their temperature tolerance, they find 34/70 doesn't flocc as well - and 34/70 is so famous you'd expect a better market if it was resold as German. That's my thinking behind S189 - there's a bigger market for Cali Commons than Swiss lager, it would work from a marketing perspective - and it seems to work quite well as a warm yeast. But I certainly wouldn't rule out Mauri/Coopers , you'd expect an antipodean company to use the southern hemisphere yeasts as their first port of call.

Yep, Koln only came out in the summer.

Repacking certainly does happen, with and without the knowledge of the source companies , a blatant example was when Lallemand took 18 months to get New England into retail packs. But CML seen to be way beyond that stage now, they're big enough to get custom packing done at source. Be interesting to see how Brexit affects them.
Haven't heard about the German dry kveik, but certainly sounds like a reasonable reasonable assumption to say that that one could be the norsk strain!

Both north and south of the dotted line, trust me on that. I've got a home brewing shop so I speak with a certain amount of knowledge of what goes on in the market.
Can you name one in Europe? 'cause I've been buying stuff from various European suppliers and I've never seen a single one who didn't sell yeast in its original packaging. Malt sure, hops as well, but always with full disclosure and because most hop and malt suppliers only sell large packages (25 kg for malt, 5 kg for hops) which most homebreweres won't buy unless they're broken down.
BTW if you're repackaging yeast under the counter you don't need full genome sequencing to be caught out. Unless you're really doing your business against cash payments at some street corner you'll have to buy your 500g packs somewhere and that will leave a clear paper trail.

Can you name one in Europe?
What's the point? You'll simply demand documented proof, then reject anything I say, and the discussion will go further off topic from there on in. You said something about too much noise here, as I recall.

So I'm awaiting your "Ha, I knew you were talking rubbish" type of response. But I'm not going to read it, because so far you have yet to contribute something constructive to this discussion.

Goodbye.

Would be cool to brew a big 20g batch and then ferment in identical conditions with 20 different yeasts, then do tasting tests. For homebrewers, it's really not reliable to make assertions on yeast's contribution to flavor if the batches are brewed at different times - way to many variables to attribute differences to the yeast.

What's the point? You'll simply demand documented proof, then reject anything I say, and the discussion will go further off topic from there on in. You said something about too much noise here, as I recall.

So I'm awaiting your "Ha, I knew you were talking rubbish" type of response. But I'm not going to read it, because so far you have yet to contribute something constructive to this discussion.

Goodbye.
Sorry, I didn't realize I was the only one that had to provide hard evidence all the time, while you can make serious accusations (fraud is a crime and often carries severe penalties) and have to be taken at face value lest you storm off pouting...

Here is the only constructive thing that anybody can contribute to this discussion.

At least a thousand people have tried compiling a list cross-linking yeasts sold by different suppliers. They have all done that just using data provided by the suppliers or stuff "they heard or read somewhere". This is a fruitless endeavor and the resulting lists (many of which can be easily found on the net) are just rubbish. While you could try and identify the different strains just through their phenotipic expression (after all, this is how it was done before the advent of genome sequencing) it is extremely difficult and requires a well equipped lab. You'll have to do standard fermentations and analytically compare the results of extensive measurements which go well beyond simple apparent attenuation and flocculation characteristics. Even so there is still a relatively high level of uncertainty that only true genome sequencing can dispel.

Still, what you're doing is fine if you were not trying to pass it off as having any factual basis. When you complie a file with a column named "What it really is" then you're just behing intellectually dishonest and misleading people and I'm not the first one to point that out.

Feel free to ignore my future posts too, I just hope you're not under the impression that I'm just posting for your benefit and that this could alter my posting behavior in any way.

Would be cool to brew a big 20g batch and then ferment in identical conditions with 20 different yeasts, then do tasting tests. For homebrewers, it's really not reliable to make assertions on yeast's contribution to flavor if the batches are brewed at different times - way to many variables to attribute differences to the yeast.
That is certainly the case but it would be a waste of time if you're relying on taste tests to evaluate the results. Taste is just too subjective, anything short of liquid chromatography will not give scientifically valid results. On the positive side you'll have a lot of beer ready to be tapped so it's not such a bad idea after all... :)

That is certainly the case but it would be a waste of time if you're relying on taste tests to evaluate the results. Taste is just too subjective, anything short of liquid chromatography will not give scientifically valid results. On the positive side you'll have a lot of beer ready to be tapped so it's not such a bad idea after all... :)

Darn, I just sold my GC on craigslist :) I'd propose that homebrewers who don't have such equipment can attempt to classify the qualities of yeast. It's not scientifically valid, but it'll have to do. Sensory testing and the related descriptions, while wildly subjective, is what homebrewers need to know. With enough subjective data, and "averaging", useful information can be derived.

S-04 is a Whitbread yeast. That was evident back in 1997 when it was released in the US by DCL Yeast as S04: This strain comes from Whitbread Brewing Co., and ferments dry and slightly tart...ect. There was so much controversy at the time with the Whitbread yeasts produced in the UK that they made the distinction when production moved to Canada, selling it as the "old Whitbread yeast sold as S-04."

S-04 is a Whitbread yeast. That was evident back in 1997 when it was released in the US by DCL Yeast as S04: This strain comes from Whitbread Brewing Co., and ferments dry and slightly tart...ect. There was so much controversy at the time with the Whitbread yeasts produced in the UK that they made the distinction when production moved to Canada, selling it as the "old Whitbread yeast sold as S-04."
In all fairness, Lallemand's product data is not known for its accuracy, especially back then. They incorrectly classified their lager yeasts as S. Cerevisiae, and currently there are significant discrepancies in the specified levels of ester production between the data sheets and the bar graphs in their recent product brochure. They have also significantly adjusted the alcohol tolerance specs for several of their yeasts in recent years.

In fact I have three sets of data sheets for Fermentis yeasts, and it's clear how the incorrect data in the older versions ended up anywhere from MJ's specs of some of their repacked Fermentis yeasts to earlier editions of How to Brew where Palmer states that lager yeasts on the home brewing market are cold-adapted S/Cerevisiae strains. Fermentis only recently reclassified them as S/Pastorianus, and this statement is no longer included in the latest edition of Palmer's work.

So it's not inconceivable at all that in 1997 Fermentis' product data (which was marketing data more than anything else) mis-classified S-04 as Whitbread. Not to mention that a description like "dry and slightly tart" is nothing like the S-04 I know today. Personally I'd put more faith in Suregork's sequencing efforts than in what Fermentis published about their own products in the late 1990s. But that's just me. :)

So it's not inconceivable at all that in 1997 Fermentis' product data (which was marketing data more than anything else) mis-classified S-04 as Whitbread. Not to mention that a description like "dry and slightly tart" is nothing like the S-04 I know today. Personally I'd put more faith in Suregork's sequencing efforts than in what Fermentis published about their own products in the late 1990s. But that's just me. :)

I don't have anything scientific to add to this...but I moved away from S-04 for my more malty beers due to the "dry and tart" characters I did not like (S-04 is my yeast for roasty dark beers). Oddly, I may have settle on WLP013 as my standard yeast for malty dark beers, which above is listed as being similar to S-04. I find that WLP013 and S-04 behave quite different in the fermenter and produce different beers. That said, I have not done a side by side experiment with these yeasts in the same wort and I am often repitching 2nd to 4th generations.

In all fairness, Lallemand's product data is not known for its accuracy, especially back then.....So it's not inconceivable at all that in 1997 Fermentis' product data (which was marketing data more than anything else) mis-classified S-04 as Whitbread. Not to mention that a description like "dry and slightly tart" is nothing like the S-04 I know today. Personally I'd put more faith in Suregork's sequencing efforts than in what Fermentis published about their own products in the late 1990s. But that's just me. :)

You are missing the bigger picture. Lallemand did not come up with the S-04 strain. It was developed and sold by the Whitbread Dry Yeast Co in the late 60's and was later sold in the UK/US home brew market for years as Whitbread Ale yeast via C&B. At that time it was a 3 strain culture, as was common with the earliest dried yeasts. They even provided a dry lager yeast as well, Whitbread Lager, which was produced in Denmark and was later transitioned to an ale strain.

That said, production moved to Canada and it was reduced to a single strain. DCL then produced and sold it under their Safale range of brewers yeasts. Again, at no point did people not know from what brewery this strain originated. THE Mr. George Fix was even hired by C&B to analyze and provide testing for the dry strains and he presented the data and origins for those yeasts in various brewers publications at the time. Unlike today with C&D letters and secrecy, no one gave a **** about protecting the origins of their dry yeast. The origin of the yeast was the selling point! There were arguably 5 craft breweries in the U.S at the time and again, the pool of available ale yeasts was 4 products. Whitbread was also the most famous/prolific supplier of dry ale yeast for breweries (hence all the Whitbread derivatives) and when the manufacturers then and now state "from the famous English ale brewer" they don't mean Bass.

If you still do not believe this, read up on how dry brewers yeast is manufactured and why finding stable strains is so difficult. Unlike now with fluid bed drying and trehalose loading, getting viable-genetically stable dry yeast was a huge issue. The big coup of the use of dry NCYC1026 for tower and CCV fermentation was that it solved the issue of reusing yeast; Bass, Watney's, ect, used multiple liquid cultures and had a hell of a time figuring out how to maintain these cultures in vertical fermentors where their Gilliland I&II type yeasts (powdery) created production issues. When S-04 says on the packaging that this yeast is great for CCV fermentation, that means something... Whitbread solved that issue.

Also, per the genetic data, Whitbread had 6 wet production strains and other dry variants of the B strain. Are we oblivious to the fact that Whitbread yeast isn't just the A and B strain. And Charles Wells uses a Whitbread dry derivative, per the old article in Journal of Brewing. And, lastly, in my own experience running tests on different yeast while looking at hop oils, S-04 is a high lactic yeast via HPLC. And now to drink another 16 oz of coffee and get some work done.... ;)

I don't have anything scientific to add to this...
Good. We've had enough nonsense about how this should be science rather than home brewing. :D

but I moved away from S-04 for my more malty beers due to the "dry and tart" characters I did not like (S-04 is my yeast for roasty dark beers).
Interesting. I know S-04 for its low attenuation (i.e. residual sweetness) and fruity esters. (And for its tendency to drop like a brick and sometimes even floc out before the fermentation is even completely finished, but that's not a flavour issue.) Perhaps it behaves quite differently in different worts and I've simply never brewed the beers that make it do that. Or maybe it's related to DO and/or pitching rates. :confused:

Oddly, I may have settle on WLP013 as my standard yeast for malty dark beers, which above is listed as being similar to S-04. I find that WLP013 and S-04 behave quite different in the fermenter and produce different beers. That said, I have not done a side by side experiment with these yeasts in the same wort and I am often repitching 2nd to 4th generations.
IMO 2nd generations not seldom perform better than first ones, and I've pitched 4th generations without any problems, so I don't think that's an issue.

Which illustrates how interesting yeast really is. :)

Which illustrates how interesting yeast really is. :)

I guess this cycles back to discussions about how there are differences between the liquid and dry versions of the "same" yeast. Even if these did start as the same yeast, I personally treat 1st generation usage of liquid yeast quite different than I do dry yeast (yeast starters and more likely to aerate my wort, vs direct pitching). I also know that biases and influences are hard to avoid...if I make 1 batch that has a specific character and then a buddy says "yeah, I get that character from that yeast" or I read something associating that character with the yeast then I will forever make that association. I have been wanting to get my hands on WLP006 Bedford...then I see charts that S-04, WLP013, and WLP006 are closely related. hmmmm

I guess your original post was about determining what manufacture's dry yeast was being repackaged/rebranded.

I repitch to many, many generations as it is my (and not mine alone) experience that yeasts generally perform better not just in the 2nd generation, but really start to perform best beginning in the 3rd to 5th. (Primarily a lager brewer if that is significant.) That said, I have only limited experience with dry yeasts, but most of that is with S-04. IME, it is dry, tart, somewhat powdery, more attenuative, and results in an unusually low finished beer pH (<3.8) in the first generation. Thereafter, I have found it is less attenuative, sweetish, fruity, produces a more normal beer pH, and, indeed, "drops like a rock." I have no idea what any of these means, just consistent observations.

I believe that @RPIScotty had a phone conversation with Lallemand wherein it was mentioned that their Abbaye yeast is a dry version of Chimay yeast. I hope he will jump in to confirm or correct me on this. If accurate, it should be akin to WLP500 and WY1214.

This is what I was told by the technical staff at Lallemand. It's the reason, if i'm not mistaken, that they made Fermentis change their Abbaye strain's name to BE-256, i.e. theirs was actually a legit Trappist style strain and not just a rebranded Saison yeast.

This is what I was told by the technical staff at Lallemand. It's the reason, if i'm not mistaken, that they made Fermentis change their Abbaye strain's name to BE-256, i.e. theirs was actually a legit Trappist style strain and not just a rebranded Saison yeast.
Is BE-256 really a Saison yeast? To me it has little or no characteristics typical for a Saison. Starting with the fact that it's POF-. In fact it has more farmhouse ale characteristics. Based on its specs, could is be Kveik-ish derivative? (Also see post #97 and the ones leading up to it...)

Any thoughts on that?

I don't think BE-256 is a Saison strain. It does not have any of the style characteristics. I do think that as far as dry yeast go, BE-256 has some good things going on, like decent flocculation, sedimentation, quick fermentation, no stalling and attenuates well over 80-82%. Can easily be used for bigger, darker beers. I will add, that even if it's not one of the most expressive yeast ever, it will still leave a bit of character in pale beers, where there is no malt/hop support.

Back