dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, don't think it's done. - I'll check it likely on Tuesday and see where it's at.

No foam - that's partly what thru me off. There were the remnants on the side but I thought that was from when I initially filled the fermenter - I had a good 2 or 3 inches of foamed up wort during the filling process.

E.

Follow-up here:

In fact the Lallemand London ESB did finish out at 1.023 and didn't go any lower. I can only speculate but don't have any real answers as to why. (Speculation: Package looked beaten up although I made sure it was still sealed prior to opening it, expiry was 10/2020 so technically not old although all the other dry yeast packages I've gotten thus far expire 2021 some time) Side note the sample tasted very good so at least it's going to be a tasty brew and at 4.6% it won't last long...

To the original post:

While the above yeast (Lallemand London ESB) didn't ferment out as expected it must have fired up very quickly which is what I've experience with all yeasts from Fermentis - case in point since using the Lallemand yeast I've brewed 2 more beers - one using S-05 and it fired up 12 hours and one using S-04 and that fired up in under 3 hours! Both are still fermenting so I haven't bothered taking readings yet to see how well they are doing.

So thus far my foray into using dry yeast - and 100% of the time not re-hydrating first - has met with success. I'll add the package of S-04 even states on it sprinkle on wort. No mention of re-hydrate.

Total brews with dry yeast and no re-hydration so far - 5 - all have been ales.
(Since the world of Corona I opted to switch to dry prior to that I've only ever used liquid. )
My next scheduled brew will be a lager using dry yeast, looking forward to seeing how that works out. (W-34/70)

E.

In fact the Lallemand London ESB did finish out at 1.023 and didn't go any lower. I can only speculate but don't have any real answers as to why.

I don't know what your OG was, but are you aware that Lallemand London ESB does not eat Maltotriose? Depending on where your FG expectation came from, this could be at least part of the issue.

I don't know what your OG was, but are you aware that Lallemand London ESB does not eat Maltotriose? Depending on where your FG expectation came from, this could be at least part of the issue.

This. A high FG with London ESB is normal for this yeast strain. It's a great yeast but you need to understand its limitations as one of the bottom 5 of all commercial strains regarding attenuation (along with Windsor, Munton's, S-33, and M15, all of which range from about 56% at worst to 67% at best). All very good yeasts though. All bred for UK session style beers of low alcohol yet full flavors. And all VERY fast fermenting, usually done within 36-40 hours after pitching. If you blink you'll miss it.

Yeah it's because that yeast sucks. I had that happen to me as well. I thought NOPE, not using YOU again. It's kind of the same to all the Mangrove Jack's yeast. I get chronic attenuation issues with that yeast. Everything finishes 3+ points higher than normal. Same parameters for everything.

This. A high FG with London ESB is normal for this yeast strain. It's a great yeast but you need to understand its limitations as one of the bottom 5 of all commercial strains regarding attenuation (along with Windsor, Munton's, S-33, and M15, all of which range from about 56% at worst to 67% at best). All very good yeasts though. All bred for UK session style beers of low alcohol yet full flavors. And all VERY fast fermenting, usually done within 36-40 hours after pitching. If you blink you'll miss it.

Agreed, and I'll have to check what my previous brews of this fermented down to (with liquid yeast) but I'm pretty confident they did better than 1.023.
Anyway this is all an experiment with dry yeast at the moment for me, I'll look for another dry yeast option for an ESB and I'll try that next time I do this brew. It's one I've done repeatedly with liquid and I've never had an issue with it not fermenting to expected numbers. But if for some reason I can't find a dry yeast for ESB that will do the job then I'll stick to liquid for that particular brew. (Although I'd expect the dry version of a liquid yeast to function similarly?)

E.

(Although I'd expect the dry version of a liquid yeast to function similarly?)

I would expect that too. But if you're talking specifically about Lallemand London ESB, I don't think there's a liquid version that is the same strain.

I am about to brew a pale english bitter ( sort of - 70% Pilsner+30% Simpsons Imperial malt+German grown Comet hops ) next week, using Lallemand New England. I've read all threads I could find on the Internet regarding this yeast, and some were not favourable towards this particular yeast. However, on paper, the yeast reads as it would pair well with a slightly maltier, moderately hopped beer.

Regarding Lallemand ESB and Windsor, they are cousins and closely related to S-33 from Fermentis, Muntons ale yeast, etc. These are low attenuators, with somewhat poor flocculation, but do offer quick fermentations. They need help in clearing up and may not be the most estery, english-style yeast out there. To get decent attenuation with these, you can and should mash low and use 5-10% simple sugars.

The only time I used this yeast it took a bitter from 1.040 down to 1.012.

I can't speak for Lallemand, currently using Fermentis in a 3bbl system. T58, K97, 04, 05 and WB06. all sprinkled on wort without 02. Been getting great results with fermentation, I do use some Yeastex 82. Actually using 250 grams per brew and the remainder is sealed back up and sometimes used several weeks later with the same results. WB06 usually finishes in 5 days, however I raise temp slightly and let it set 3-4 more days.

Latest posts

Back