Dry yeast for a tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm really hoping to make a Belgian tripel but am running into a yeast problem. By virtue of living in South America, where homebrew is in its infancy, I simply cannot expect to reliably get access to liquid yeast. In a best case scenario I could drag it back in my luggage when I return from the US on my next visit, which would involve it sitting in a cargo hold for 10 hours when layovers are factored in. Trying to put it in my carry-on baggage would likely result in it being snatched at security as "dangerous liquid." I can ship it, but there in the most optimistic of circumstances it's going to sit for at least a week in hot customs bay. I don't want to take that chance.

Is there a way to do this with dry yeast? Perhaps with several package? I've read around the forum and general sentiment appears to be that one should not make a yeast started with dry yeast because dry yeast is designed to be pitched immediately and can lose some of its potency in a yeast starter.

Any suggestions? Maybe try to wrap the yeast in a few cold packs, throw it in my luggage, and hope for the best?

Much appreciate your feedback.

T-58 (dry) is supposed to be alright up to 11.5%.

Or you could try Belgian Ale Dry Yeast M27 from Mangrove Jacks.

Considering what a hit or miss third-world customs can be, I'd not want to try shipping liquid yeast there. If you're going to fly with it, you could try putting liquid yeast in one of those reflective cold bags (like you shop for meat with) along with some cold packs in your check-in bags. If anything, the cargo hold of the plane is going to be colder.

Awesome! Thanks so much for quick feedback.

I also considered the carry-on option. Would I have any obvious way of knowing if the yeast had gone bad by the time I got back? I suppose if it had warmed up significantly that would be reason enough to consider it suspect.

Thanks again, Brian

Although you're in Venezuela, if there is a way that you can get mail from Brazil, Lamas Brew Shop in São Paulo has a ton of White Labs. The shipping is expensive because they send it express and they have to pack it with ice, but order a whole bunch with some friends and it may be worth your time.

Salud y buena suerte

Latest posts

Back