Dry Vs. Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
When I as last at my LHBS they were out of ale yeast for a pale ale that I am making. The guys at the shop said that they had the same strain but in dry form. I think they said that the liquid yeast was the same as the dry but about twice as many cells.

I bought two packs of dry yeast. Should I just rehydrate one and save the other for a rainy day OR rehydrate both?

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

Chris

What yeast did you want, and which did you get? Most dry ale yeasts have about twice as many cells as a liquid yeast vial or smackpack.

Dry Ale Yeast(E491)
Safale US-05

that's about all that was on the package from Fermentis.

Dry yeasts,imo,go to work faster when they're at least re-hydrated. I even do small 1 1/2C starters with 1/4C DME for a few hours with great results. If the yeast is relatively fresh,just re-hydrate it in a small amount of lukewarm water.

So far if I have a liquid or dry yeast option I opt for the dry. It is always less expensive and it seems to begin fermenting much faster.

NRS

Been reading the Chris White book about yeast. It mentions when rehydrating dry yeast that no more than about 1/2 and hour before pitching. There are some nutrients included with the dry yeast, but they are used up quickly. While the yeast over 30 mins will still ferment, it gets best results if done before 30 mins.

With that said, I've mostly used dry yeast, and mostly just sprinkled it on... and still have had good ferments.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

The "this vs that" thread has a short blurb on dry vs liquid yeasts.

I used dry for my first few, it was quick, easy, and cheap. Now that I have the ingredients and equipment to make a starter I use liquid on pretty much all my recipes because there's a wider range of strains available.

They both work fine though.

I have been brewing for over ten years and have used liquid and dry over time. Now a days I pretty much use dry for my standard ales. Cheaper, faster start times, easier, no messing with starters, less worries about having a good yeast pack.

US-05 for most of my pale ales, amber ales. I do use liquid for other beers because the yeast is so much of the flavor for the wheat beers, saisons, and belgians.

Us-05 is a rockstar. Always ferments quickly down to where it is supposed to. I just aerate my wort and sprinkle it on, close up the fermenter and let it do it's thing.

Unless the beer I'm making has a yeast driven flavor profile, I use dry yeast.

Much cheaper and less hassle than liquid.

My wife used the dry Safale us-05 yesterday for her summer ale kit. Saw a few bubbles at 6:44am today. It would start faster if I'd re-hydrated it,omo. But,it's her brew,so I thought I'd let her learn the classic way of brewing it. Nice honey/grainy sort of smell,with spicy citrus from the little bag of bitter orange peel,lemon peel,& spices. That stuff smelled just like mandarin orange spice tea. Should be good. I'm gunna get together with her to learn yeast washing with that cake!

I use 05 in all of my PA and IPA. It's pretty good as long as you don't let it get too warm.

I had one batch in a swamp cooler during the summer and had to go out of town for a while. That batch threw a lot of cloves.

Back