Dry Lager Yeast Lag time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I picked up a package of Brewferm Lager yeast for a lager that I was doing a few weeks ago, but due to an oops in the grain bill, did not use it. I put it in my cooler for future reference. I re-did that one using liquid yeast starter.

On Sunday I did a Doppelbock, and decided to use the dry yeast, mostly because I forgot to get my starter on, again..... I rehydrated according to the package, which closely matches the sticky in this forum, and 72 hrs later, not a hint of activity. I had a liquid yeast fail in a lager last fall, and repitched a few days later, but that batch spoiled, big time. I think the original yeast was bad due to bad handling before I got it, and that caused the problem.

So, how long can a carboy of wort at 55F last before fermentation starts, and still have a decent beer? This is a special brew I'm doing for my Neice's wedding party and special guests, and can't risk it failing. Should I repitch a fresh batch (I have one in a starter on day 2 now), and hope for the best, or redo the batch? I'm already losing a week of the 2 month lager phase as it is, and this would be another week setback.

As of this morning there is the faintest hint of activity, an ever so slight layer of bubbles on the surface beginning to form.
Still looking for any feedback.

What was the gravity? Did you only use one packet? Lagers need much more yeast than ales, it's not unusual for a lager to take 2+ packets of dry yeast. or 4+ of liquid yeast. This is why gigantic starters are often recommended.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

OG was 1.052. The yeast was lager yeast and much larger than an ale packet. Ive had no issues with lagers and single liquid yeast with starters in 6 or so lagers I've done. Except the spoiled one.

So, how long can a carboy of wort at 55F last before fermentation starts, and still have a decent beer? .

My assumption is you'll be fine. I've had the unfortunate experience of pitching a two-step (2L, decant, another 2L) starter in a 1.051 lager at 54F with an 80 hour lag time. No off-flavors were detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Still not getting much activity. I think it's time to pitch the liquid starter I've been running. Too much yeast can't be a bad thing.

Back