Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oenaphile1

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Session IPA that will have 6 hop additions. In addition to the bittering hops, flavoring hops and typical aroma hop addition it calls for and additional hop addition at 0 minutes which I assume is dunk the hop pellets into the wort and once they have expanded pull them out. The recipe then call for two different types of hops for a dry hop for the last 3-5 days of a secondary fermentation. I want to make sure. I am pretty sure I would need to sanitize (by boiling) any hop sacks that I would use? Can I add the hops into the carboy then rack the beer over them or should I rack the beer then add the hops or does it make any difference? I am an experienced extract brewer but have never done a beer with this many additions or a dry hop.

Leave the 0 minute hops in. They can go in at flame out or after the wort has cooled a little. Even as low as 180 degrees. I would skip the secondary and add dry hop to primary near the end of fermentation. This will help with any oxygen pickup from the dry hop. Don't worry too much about sanitizing the hops. The PH of your beer as this stage is not very friendly to bacteria. I do sanitize the bag.

spray bag with star san.....wait a little bit put hops in bag and through in the fermenter....have a beer!

Remember to set a reminder of when to dry hop.....don't ask me how I KNOW THIS!

Thank you. It will be a few weeks before I get to brew this. I brewed for about 15 years then took about 3 years off. I'm an empty nester now and brewed for the first time in 3 years Jan 1 of this year. Since then I've shown a newbie how to homebrew and brewed a Kolsch which I'll bottle next week end. It's good to be back.

Back