Dry hopping questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younger96

Reaction score
I've been dry hopping in the keg my last few IPA's. I have been pressuring the keg right after transferring and hopping. It seems I get a great hop aroma with the first dozen pints or so, but then it fades quickly. I'm wondering if I should be letting the dry hops sit for 5 days or so before pressurizing? Also, I'm thinking the temperature might have a bit to do with it. I would expect dry hopping has best results at 60-70 F rather than in my kegger at 40-50 F ?

Thanks for any advice. Cheers!

Are you using pellets of leaves? Pellets tend to sink, so you pretty much gobble them up in your first quarter of the keg. Try. Dry hopping 10 days before kegging, it allows the beer more time to absorb the taste and flavour of the hopps.

I've been using pellet hops. Last keg I tried this stainless steel hop ball which to your point - sinks. I was thinking the same thing that the hops are not getting distributed evenly so I'm hoping that with more time before tapping the keg they will have a chance to distribute better.

I don't secondary so I don't have the chance to dry hop there. I suppose I could dry hop in the primary the last days or so.

I find that dryhopping at 65-70 degrees works faster to give hops flavor and aroma, while at kegerator temps it takes a bit longer. At room temperature, I find that in about 5 days I have peak flavor and aroma, while at those fridge temps it might be 10 days or so. But I keep the hops in the keg the whole time, at fridge temps without any grassiness or off flavors at all, so I think that's a bonus!

I don't think carbonation interferes at all, but what might be happening is purging the keg can "blow off" the hops flavor and aroma, too, with the excess co2.

You could try it both ways- keep the keg at room temperature for 5 days before putting it in the kegerator and see if you notice a bigger hops aroma or not. And the next time, just set it right in the kegerator for 10 days. See which you prefer!

Great article - would love to read the study. I fully agree that pellet over whole is the way to go. Was recently at a small brewery in Golden, CO - GCB - they use pellet hops for dry hopping.

I also agree with the issue of timing. I was recently disappointed with the hop aroma of an IPA I made - realizing it at kegging but didn't dry hop. After the first pint I tossed an oz of Amarillo into the already carbed keg. Started pulling pints within hours of that addition and it was like nectar!

I've been toying with the idea of some type of hop infusion device in my keg liquid line. Dog Fish does this with one of their brews.

I find that dryhopping at 65-70 degrees works faster to give hops flavor and aroma, while at kegerator temps it takes a bit longer. At room temperature, I find that in about 5 days I have peak flavor and aroma, while at those fridge temps it might be 10 days or so. But I keep the hops in the keg the whole time, at fridge temps without any grassiness or off flavors at all, so I think that's a bonus!

I don't think carbonation interferes at all, but what might be happening is purging the keg can "blow off" the hops flavor and aroma, too, with the excess co2.

You could try it both ways- keep the keg at room temperature for 5 days before putting it in the kegerator and see if you notice a bigger hops aroma or not. And the next time, just set it right in the kegerator for 10 days. See which you prefer!

Thanks Yooper, It kind of makes sense right that the warmer the temp the faster you would expect the hop oil to release. I've got an IPA going now at ~60 F w/out pressure. Think I'll give it 3 days like that then CO2 for 2 days and enjoy it!

Back