Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I am not a fan of hoppy beers, but my tailgating friends are. I have brewed a double trouble clone that is fermenting great after a week. The plan is to leave in primary for two weeks and then rack into the secondary for dry hopping. Here is where I get confused. The recipe I’m using calls for the following schedule:

Dry Hop 1 (7 days):
2.5 oz - Simcoe
1.5 oz - Amarillo

Dry Hop 2 (5 days):
0.5 oz - Simcoe
0.5 oz - Amarillo

Does this mean Dry Hop one for seven days and then dry hop two for the next five days?

I read this as the first addition at 7 days before packaging (bottle or keg) then two days later add the second dry hop addition, which will leave each in for 7 and 5 days, respectively, before packaging.

This is much the way hops schedules during boil are written.

You probably don't need two weeks, then secondary, then dryhop. You could save the effort of racking and risk of oxidation and dry hop in the primary.....probably after a week-10 days if your gravity is stable.

Jeeze, now I have doubts.
Not much intuitive help from the actual numbers as they're so assymetric. Who dry hops 2 days then 5 more? I frequently do a first cycle for 4 days then a second for 4 or 5 more (Brulosophy be damned). Otoh, 5 days plus another 7 seems extra long given about 80% of the hop "bang" happens in the first 24 hours at room temperature.

Ambiguous instructions suck ;)

Cheers!

Avoid transferring to a secondary, not really needed for the IPA when you're adding 5oz of hops in secondary..

I would truthfully add all additions at once and leave for several days or space them out adding one when krausen drops and then 2 days prior to kegging or bottling. A two day difference won't add much IMO..

But I read it as 7 and 5 days before bottling.

I echo the above sentiments. First one 7 days before packaging, the next one 2 days later (5 days before packaging).

I also skip the secondary now unless I'm doing some special flavor additions like fruit puree or wood chips. And when I do, I secondary in my Fermentasaurus because I can purge the headspace of oxygen with CO2 pressurization/venting like in a keg. For me, I don't like the secondary sitting there with oxygen in the headspace, especially with a hoppy beer that does not like oxidation.

One last thought I share is from an article I read in Craft Beer & Brewing magazine about dry hopping techniques. Some brewer was talking about how they had done trials with dry hop additions, and they always added one hop addition at a time as it provided more distinct hop characteristics. When combining two or more hop types at one time, the flavors got all muddled. That being said, I always follow a proven recipe the first time I brew it. If someone else has had success with it, I figure I'll give it a try- I might learn something new.

Back