Dry Hopping into Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#p3brews

Reaction score
I have 4.5 gallons of some American Ale i want to add some fresh mosaic hops into.
OG 1.058
It began bubbling yesterday with Nottingham yeast and seems to be happy. It had
Mosaic hop pellet additions at 6m but i want to add these fresh hops so I'm thinking
of upon transfer of fermented wort into a corny i'd add a couple ounces of fresh
mosaic hops and a pint of proper sugar water for natural carbing in the corny.

Let sit 2.5 - 3 weeks at 65', chill and taste.

Any reasons why this is a bad idea would be appreciated?

Last edited:
You could but you need to put them in a bag that is tied so it stays suspensed. If not you’ll surely clog your dip tube. you could install a floating dip tube or cut your current one shorter.

Why don’t you just dryhop it so then you have zero of those concerns

for an american ale I would think bio-transformation hops would be the best addition. Bang for the buck I never get much extra after fermentation has completed.

That being said - lot's of people are dry hopping in kegs with bags and doing all sorts of creative things so they can remove the bags.

I think you mean natural carbonation? Not natural fermentation?

I did it once, and had the bag expand so much that hops got out and into my keg, then my keg clogged a bunch, did a transfer to another keg, and still had clogging issues. I do a bio-transformatoin hopped Kolsch with new-world hops and it's super fruity and bright. I think you're right on though if you want to follow through. Just use a bag that's big enough to hold them all once they absorb your beer!

Caleb

This....
https://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Hopp...d=1&keywords=keg+screen&qid=1618942976&sr=8-3
Just kegged a pale ale with 2oz of Cascade. Tied some fine fishing line to the filter. Tied the other end to the bottom of the keg lid, around the pressure relief bump.

20210418_152357.jpg

20210418_152043.jpg

Back