Dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mean: in addition to your hops you would like to also add chipotle peppers?

If so dry seems like it would be easier to impart flavors. I am however not an expert on experimental additions...

Chipotles are smoked jalapenos, so I don't think there is such a thing as fresh ones. You don't want oil or other stuff in beer, so I would add them dried, or make an alcohol tincture (dried peppers soaked in alcohol).

Cyclman said:
Chipotles are smoked jalapenos, so I don't think there is such a thing as fresh ones. You don't want oil or other stuff in beer, so I would add them dried, or make an alcohol tincture (dried peppers soaked in alcohol).

Ok so I just get the chipotles dried. They are hard to find but I think I might know of a spot in town.

I used dried chipotle peppers in my secondary. I used 3. Did not open them so as not to impart too much spiciness due to the seeds. Next time I would use at least 1 more and leave in longer than the 4 days suggested.

oreoman said:
I used dried chipotle peppers in my secondary. I used 3. Did not open them so as not to impart too much spiciness due to the seeds. Next time I would use at least 1 more and leave in longer than the 4 days suggested.

Sounds good. I'm going to do three.

I'm sure you could add to secondary with good results, but with the huge variance in peppers, its going to be a crap shoot on heat level and flavor. Soaking them in vodka of pga for a week or two, straining, then adding the liquid to taste at bottling, makes it a bit easier to achieve your desired results. Keep in mind however the heat level will diminish some while aging.

Back