Dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jbird

Reaction score
I want to dry hop with chipotle peppers. Should I use dry or fresh?

mr_rogers

Reaction score
do you mean: in addition to your hops you would like to also add chipotle peppers?

If so dry seems like it would be easier to impart flavors. I am however not an expert on experimental additions...

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Chipotles are smoked jalapenos, so I don't think there is such a thing as fresh ones. You don't want oil or other stuff in beer, so I would add them dried, or make an alcohol tincture (dried peppers soaked in alcohol).

OP
J

Jbird

Reaction score
Cyclman said:
Chipotles are smoked jalapenos, so I don't think there is such a thing as fresh ones. You don't want oil or other stuff in beer, so I would add them dried, or make an alcohol tincture (dried peppers soaked in alcohol).
Ok so I just get the chipotles dried. They are hard to find but I think I might know of a spot in town.

oreoman

Reaction score
I used dried chipotle peppers in my secondary. I used 3. Did not open them so as not to impart too much spiciness due to the seeds. Next time I would use at least 1 more and leave in longer than the 4 days suggested.

OP
J

Jbird

Reaction score
oreoman said:
I used dried chipotle peppers in my secondary. I used 3. Did not open them so as not to impart too much spiciness due to the seeds. Next time I would use at least 1 more and leave in longer than the 4 days suggested.
Sounds good. I'm going to do three.

501irishred

Reaction score
I'm sure you could add to secondary with good results, but with the huge variance in peppers, its going to be a crap shoot on heat level and flavor. Soaking them in vodka of pga for a week or two, straining, then adding the liquid to taste at bottling, makes it a bit easier to achieve your desired results. Keep in mind however the heat level will diminish some while aging.