Dry Hop or No Dry Hop? Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockawayBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to brewing. I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions for which hops to use for dry hopping a pumpkin ale. Here is was I used.

12oz Amber malt
12oz Crystal 20
80z Crystl 60
6lb Golden Light DME

1oz Fuggle 60 Min
.75oz Tettnanger 30 Min
.5oz Willamette 5 min

45oz pumpkin
1tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice

WLP060

My IBU from Beersmith says 16.9. I would like it to be a little but more hoppy but not over power the pumpkin and spice. Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions.

Kevin

photo.jpg

First, welcome to HBT! This is a fantastic site with very helpful people.

My first thought is that a pumpkin ale doesn't need a lot of hop character. Plus, dry-hopping will give you aroma but will not add any bitterness (you mentioned the IBUs).

With that said, if you really want hop aroma I'd suggest something spicy and/or floral to complement the pie spices. I personally dislike Fuggles as too earthy, so maybe the Tett or Willamette or even Glacier if you have them.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will see how it looks after two weeks and depending on the clarity I will either leave it for another week in primary and then bottle or move to a secondary for a couple more weeks.

When I take my gravity after fermentation Ill do a taste test and see if it needs anything. Im worried it may be a little sweet.

I would not dry hop personally. I would think a dry hop would mask your spice aroma. I would try this one as is and if its not perfect then make the adjustment next time. Just giving my two cents.

Back