drUnken rambling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
why does beer age? do elements break down with age, if they do does it happen in a manner that is natural to them and at a time that is natural?
:off: just the ramblings of an old man looking to understand the meaning of everything...schrodinger

Why do people age? Why do plants, animals and everything in the universe age?

Entropy cannot be stopped. It's a fundamental law of physics.

since you're drunk, and rambling, and, by your own account, old- i'm going to go the same route i go with my philosopher/lawyer daughter. "As far as i know- beer doesn't age. What makes you think such a strange thing? your mother?"

and john palmer provides the answer
"Understanding Fermentation
The fermentation of malt sugars into beer is a complicated biochemical process. It is more than just the conversion of sugar to alcohol, which can be regarded as the primary activity. Total fermentation is better defined as three phases, the Adaptation or Lagtime phase, the Primary or Attenuative phase and a Secondary or Conditioning phase. The yeast do not end Phase 2 before beginning Phase 3, the processes occur in parallel, but the conditioning processes occur more slowly. As the majority of simple sugars are consumed, more and more of the yeast will transition to eating the larger, more complex sugars and early yeast by-products. This is why beer (and wine) improves with age to a degree, as long as they are on the yeast. Beer that has been filtered or pasteurized will not benefit from aging."

and john palmer provides the answer
"Understanding Fermentation
The fermentation of malt sugars into beer is a complicated biochemical process. It is more than just the conversion of sugar to alcohol, which can be regarded as the primary activity. Total fermentation is better defined as three phases, the Adaptation or Lagtime phase, the Primary or Attenuative phase and a Secondary or Conditioning phase. The yeast do not end Phase 2 before beginning Phase 3, the processes occur in parallel, but the conditioning processes occur more slowly. As the majority of simple sugars are consumed, more and more of the yeast will transition to eating the larger, more complex sugars and early yeast by-products. This is why beer (and wine) improves with age to a degree, as long as they are on the yeast. Beer that has been filtered or pasteurized will not benefit from aging."

Well DUH!!!

:D

Latest posts

Back