Drillbit size for 3/8" beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I am creating a bar setup in my basement and have a 10' beer line that needs to run down through the bar, through a wall behind the bar and into the freezer behind the wall.

I was wondering what size drill bit to use to drill these holes, the beer line is 3/8".

I know it may seem obvious but I do not want to destroy my walls without comfirming the size.
Thanks.

my recommendation would be to hold a drill bit next to the line, and pick something slightly bigger to make pulling it through easier. How many taps are you running? You may want to bundle them, and cool them.

I am running 2 as of right now but have plans on 4 in the long run, maybe even 6.

How would I cool them/bundle them?

I would also need a hole in the freezer for the CO2.

If your lines aren't going to be cooled from the freezer to the bar you are going to get only foam. Definitely need to bundle and cool the lines somehow.

Also, all 3/8" beer line doesn't have the same OD. Some people have thick wall line and others have thin walled. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

how would I go about doing this? can I put tubing from the freezer around the beer lines all the way to the taps? It's less then 6 feet distance and the lines are going to be against the wall.

or would wrapping them in copper be a better idea?

EDIT:
I did some research and found that Armaflex is good for insulating and I may either wrap the tubes in copper or put pvc around the Armaflex or maybe even both.

Thanks for bringing up the point though I would have never thought of it

Considering folks with non-cooled keezer towers frequently have problems with gas breakout that usually inspires them to either run their beer lines through copper pipes that extend down into the keezer for cooling, and/or use a small cooling fan to blow cold air up into the tower, you may well find 6 feet of line - insulated or not - will result in a glass or two of major foam before the lines cool down enough to provide a decent pour.

So...whatever you think you're going to do for now, don't paint yourself into a corner in case you find you need to provide some kind of active cooling for your beer lines (eg: glycol loop)...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back