Long run of Glycol Lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
As part of my brewery renovation, I want to tuck my glycol chiller out of sight behind a wall in a utility room, which means running four 3/8" glycol lines through the wall along the floor, under my brew table, and over to my table with my fermenters. Total line run for each line will be roughly 12ft. Assuming i bundle them together, and cover with pipe insulation 90% of the run, i shouldn't see any issues correct?

Yes, that should work very well!
Now that trunk line won't be very flexible, so keep that in mind for any bends you need to make, allowing for some extra length there.

Yes, that should work very well!
Now that trunk line won't be very flexible, so keep that in mind for any bends you need to make, allowing for some extra length there.
Yeah i figured that. Its only going about 6 feet in a straight line, then making a 90 degree turn and running for another 3 or 4 feet up to the fermenters, so i'll likely run them in a 4 line trunk that 6 feet, then split them out into 2 lines for the 90 bend, and then out to single as they come up to the fermenters

Even though you aren't going very far, I'd use a larger diameter tube or pipe and then size it down when it gets to each fermenter.

I'd also consider running a single line of an even larger diameter to each fermenter and just tapping off that as it nears each FV. Though that does depend on the layout of where everything is and where your valve to restrict the glycol is for each FV.

Even though you aren't going very far, I'd use a larger diameter tube or pipe and then size it down when it gets to each fermenter.

I'd also consider running a single line of an even larger diameter to each fermenter and just tapping off that as it nears each FV. Though that does depend on the layout of where everything is and where your valve to restrict the glycol is for each FV.
Any particular reason for this? If the hose barb at the fermenter is still 3/8" then the restriction on flow is the same whether the feed line is 1/2 or 3/8". And at this short of a distances, friction losses are minimal

Mainly because for me the additional cost of sizing up is minimal. And I have been bit before by such things. If at any bends you collapse the tube slightly, then that all adds up to less at the destination. But until you get to the point where it's not enough to be a problem, then it'll never be a problem. I just like to be more certain.

Back