Dried version of WLP002?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I love dried yeast! There are a ton of upsides but the biggest down side is that there aren't nearly as many strains available. The ubiquitous Chico strain (WLP001 and WY1056) has an exact dried version in US-05.

It would only make sense that the most popluar english strain of Fuller's origin (WLP002 or WY1968) would also have a dried version but I can't find one. Many people would guess S-04 but that comes from Whitbred and IMO has very little in common with the Fuller's strain.

So my question is: Is there a dried yeast out there that performs very similarly to 002?

The 3 distinctive characteristics of the strain to me are:

1. An extremely pleasant fruity ester
2. Extremely high flocculation.
3. Often leaves the tiniest smidge of diacetyl that is very welcome in English style beers.

I care the most about #1 but the others are nice as well.

mangrove jack M15 Empire Ale Yeast? I've seen people say to use it as a sub to 002 but I've never tried it.

mangrove jack M15 Empire Ale Yeast? I've seen people say to use it as a sub to 002 but I've never tried it.

After reading the descriptions it seems pretty close. Mentions rich, dark fruit flavors and high floculation. The only same that doesn't seem the same is it also says high attenuation. Most would describe the 002 as having moderate attenuation.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems as if we're on the right track. Has anybody used this yeast before?

Back