Double Oatmeal Stout re-pitch before bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KobiGirreven

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am brand new, and i have read over all of the top re-pitching threads on the forum. Wanted some experienced brewers advice on my specific scenario.

Double Oatmeal Stout
OG 1.073
Primary 1 month
secondary 1 month

Started with two 11g rehydrated packs of s-04. Would you, personally, add some yeast at bottling? This is only my second batch (haven't even bottled my first batch), so my heart tells me to leave it be and learn if it doesn't carb fully.

Thoughts and opinions, please. Thanks a lot, guys.

I would not add any yeast for bottle conditioning. The yeast needed for bottle carbonation is there.
A high OG beers will take longer to carbonate. Keep your bottles at room temperature for a month. Chill a couple for a week to see how they are progressing.
This beer will take a lot of patience.

i completely agree with flars, there is no need to repitch again, the residual yeast in it should be plenty to carbonate it. just make sure to keep up with it to prevent over-carbonation

open one every couple days when you get to about a week and a half to see if they are properly carbonated

if it was done attenuating when it was bottled, and the proper amount of priming sugar was added, it can't overcarbonate (assuming no infection).

Back