Don't store your IC in starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grem135

Reaction score
After my last brewday i dropped my IC in a bucket of starsan when i took it to the basement and somehow (drunk?) Forgot to remove it. Brewday 3 weeks later it has a nice slimy film was all over it. Yuk. Any ideas how to clean it kinda quick?

I have this film over my plastics (racking cane, tubing etc.) that I store in StarSan. I'm not sure what it is but so far it hasn't hurt anything. I would just rinse the IC with hot water and call it good. You'll be sanitizing it in the boil later anyways.

Easy for to say lol. Its a home made 40ft 3/8 ic made to fit in my old 5 gallon kettle with over lapping coils. Not easy to get the patina off.

Yeast metabolize copper, but if you have metallic/astringency flavors next batch....im sure youll know why!!

Like noob said, why sanitize it if its just going straight into boiling wort for 15min??

Whenever I have had Starsan on anything, all the sliminess will rinse off in hot tap water in a few seconds?? Even after soaking for a week. I would take the now clean IC and put it in boiling water for a few minutes before your next brew day.

I had started my 5 gallon boiling on my stove while the IC was soaking so i was able to dunk it in there about 10 minutes.
New on my to do list: compression fitting for IC.

I caution you to use any 'green' looking copper during brewing. Water soluble and toxic...

It was nice and shiny by the time i stuck it in the wort. Ground water is 75f so I figure ill get to about 80f and i have a cooler, ice and pump to recirculate ice water through it. Hopefully that will it to 65 or so. Kinda last minute brewday so i didnt have any chilled water ready.

Back