Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you have a great brewday, where everything pretty much goes well, DON'T lose sight of the big picture and pitch the wrong yeast. PItched a big jar of lager slurry on my new IPA with a LOT of spensive hops in it. Had a perfectly good fresh packet of ale yeast in the drawer and brain didn't register it. I know it will be beer, but it will be an IPL instead of an IPA; maybe not a big deal to some, but I can taste the difference between a neutral ale yeast and a lager yeast that will give that "bite" that most lagers have. I just hope it doesn't ruin it. Yah, don't do that. Also, as a side note, don't get up at 3am thinking you'll get done with everything including cleaning before having to run out to fantasty football draft, take a nap, and decide to clean when you get home; too tired tonight and just not feeling it. For the first time in months my brewery is left a mess for the next day, ashamed of myself.

I use a short 5 in hose on a picnic tap for collecting samples of aging meads stored in kegs inside a fridge. After each sample I disassemble the quick connect, clean and sanitize it then put it back together for the next sample. Just last night I went to get a sample after another month of again and did not realize I had put the poppet in upside down. (Respect the mead) may have consumed more than I thought that prior sampling. Upon attempting to connect the beer line, you guessed it, mead went spraying everywhere.

Don't do that!

When pressure transferring to a keg make sure you have clamps on transfer tubing. We had a stoppage during transfer that agitated me too much after a long day.

In frustration I kept increasing pressure to about 10 psi foolishly thinking I’d clear the clog. The wife was standing over keg on lookout when the tubing blew off the inlet. She grabbed the tubing about 18” from end and as it continued to whip around like a fire hose spraying everything and everyone in its path. Don’t do that!...🤣

I found a bottle of Sam Adams Jack o Pumpkin from last year's fall variety pack still hanging around in the fridge. I opened it thinking, "maybe this tastes better than I remember." Don't do that.

Oh Jesus God No.gif

I have a length of 1/2" silicone tubing for blow-off on my SS Brew Tech Brew Bucket. When I moved to primary only (no secondary), I was pondering how to add gelatin finings for my cold crash. My solution was to stick a funnel on the end of my blow-off tube and pour it in that way. A little went in, but not much. All of a sudden the fermenter made kind of a "belch" noise and sprayed gelatin solution on me, the floor and the wall. I'm guessing there was a little positive pressure in the fermenter. Don't do that!

Do not assume that the cheap spigot of your bottling bucket, that served you well since you started homebrewing 8 years ago, will maintain a tight seal forever. Especially not after it broke apart while cleaning the bucket prior to a bottling session. Do not put it back in place and carry on as nothing happened. Don’t do that.

After racking the beer into it, I found out that it was leaking quite badly. After a few seconds of pure despair, I ran into the basement to fetch my second, even older bottling bucket (that I had actually reserved for bretty stuff), gave it a very quick rinse with tap water, and re-racked the beer onto it (never mind about infection risks and oxidation, right? Luckily it wasn’t an IPA…).

Finally, the episode cost me only about a pint of precious beer and some excess sweat on my back. I wonder now if something funky will develop from it (I don’t think so, but let’s wait and see).
And well, at least this time I am sure that the priming solution was mixed in thoroughly!

View attachment 739757

Dry hops plugged 2" dump port on CF15. After trying to break the clog with a spoon to no avail, resorted to loading up 14 psi on top of the beer. Well, what wasn't working finally led to this explosion across a garage that's not typically this congested (in the process of building a nursery for our first). This led to quite a fun day of cleaning - there is good news... the beer is absolutely fine! In all seriousness, I'm very thankful I wasn't standing in front of the port, or this bad situation would've likely been muchhhh worse.
This looks like the **** literally hit the fan :p

I noticed my gas poppets sometimes leak a few tiny bubbles, while the keg is under pressure. I check that by dripping a few drops of Starsan on top of the post, small leaks like that are easy to spot that way. Just pushing the poppet in with a nail set tool and releasing it quickly, usually reseats them correctly. May take 2 or 3 tries.

When the same occurred on a liquid post, oozing beer out slowly, I grabbed the nail set, and did the same...

Don't do that!

I noticed my gas poppets sometimes leak a few tiny bubbles, while the keg is under pressure. I check that by dripping a few drops of Starsan on top of the post, small leaks like that are easy to spot that way. Just pushing the poppet in with a nail set tool and releasing it quickly, usually reseats them correctly. May take 2 or 3 tries.

When the same occurred on a liquid post, oozing beer out slowly, I grabbed the nail set, and did the same...

Don't do that!
I still remember messing with a spunding valve on my fermzilla and mistakenly putting it on the liquid post while under pressure... don't do that. Thankfully the power outlet it decided to shoot at was a GFCI.

Don't do that!
I had a keg slightly under pressure with a weak poppet spring. Pushing the pin in resulted in it getting stuck in the post, wide open. SPC solution EVERYWHERE.

Yep, hooked up co2 at 20psi to force carb and the liquid side poppet started to leak. Rather then take the co2 off and try to reseat it, you are wanting to act quickly so you press down on the poppet with the closest tool you have and bam! Annnnd of course this happens in a fridge with other items in it, hops, bottled beer, yeast bank. :rolleyes:

[...] When the same occurred on a liquid post, oozing beer out slowly, I grabbed the nail set, and did the same...

Don't do that!
Let me emphasize the staggering dumbness of this action.

This was only a few days ago, and no beer drinking was involved. It was around 9 am, reddy-ing a few fresh serving kegs, for transportation later that day, to our yearly homebrew campout.

The keg had already oozed a few ounces of beer in the keezer due to its leaky liquid poppet, while awaiting the transfer. There was absolutely zero-need to even push that poppet!!! Because... I was gonna stick my jumper/transfer hose on it anyway and empty it.

Habit, maybe?

As I ponder this thread, I realize how many mistakes I've made over the years! I just brewed today and managed to come up with a new one. As I was stirring my kettle, I heard a rattling noise and quickly realized I had not inserted the dip tube in my kettle valve during setup; it was just laying on the bottom under boiling wort. After some initial freaking out, I figured I had two options. Drain as much wort into my fermenter as I could, and then pour the rest in old school. Or try and get the dip tube inserted. I was brewing an extract batch and I let the wort cool for ten minutes or so before the late extract addition. I gave it a little extra time today, added the extract (which cools things down a little more), double-gloved up and stuck my hand in the 190 degree wort.

I managed to get the dip tube in and not scald myself, but best advice is "Don't do that!"

Last edited:
nothing to add, but a few days ago, i forgot i was filling my tub to saok my barley sprouts....the radio was playing and i didn't hear it...caught it in time it didn't over flow, but then i thought it'd drain quick, but i ended up drowning my sprouts.....but it still made beer, just made sure to use A LOT of dark malt for this batch!

but that was last week! so,

1630957635829.png

Yesterday I quickly whip up two batches of Blonde Ale for customers and as I was playing with the hop additions a bit (gotta make it fun somehow) I decided to give the wort a taste at the end of the boil to see how the bitterness compares with the sweetness in there (I like to do this from time to time).

So I grabbed the brew spoon, scooped a bit of wort, blew it a bit to cool it down and tasted.

And promptly burned the living daylights out of my tongue. And no, this is not the first time, and I doubt it'll be the last time either. Don't do that.

As I ponder this thread, I realize how many mistakes I've made over the years! I just brewed today and managed to come up with a new one. As I was stirring my kettle, I heard a rattling noise and quickly realized I had not inserted the dip tube in my kettle valve during setup; it was just laying on the bottom under boiling wort. After some initial freaking out, I figured I had two options. Drain as much wort into my fermenter as I could, and then pour the rest in old school. Or try and get the dip tube inserted. I was brewing an extract batch and I let the wort cool for ten minutes or so before the late extract addition. I gave it a little extra time today, added the extract (which cools things down a little more), double-gloved up and stuck my hand in the 190 degree wort.

I managed to get the dip tube in and not scald myself, but best advice is "Don't do that!"

I managed to do exactly the same thing the first time I used my brand new SS 20 gal kettle. Completely forgot to put the dip tube in place. The only difference, I inserted it after chilling. With my own somehow clean but naked and unsanitized arm, fumbling deep into the wort. The beer turned out fine.
Don't do that, but also and most importantly, RDWAHAHB.

Well I am ashamed to admit this. A couple weeks ago brewing this happened. It has been said to replace your plastic fermentation buckets if you have scratches to prevent infections. I've been using mine for over 15 years and the only infections I got were from some dumb thing I did not associated with the bucket.
However, my nightmare that at times would go thru my head is this. After you're done brewing. In my case, I use 6 gal buckets. And taking the bucket with just created beer down to my basement to ferment. I have steps to go down. This is where I hear voices. "What if the handle brakes and the bucket goes down the steps?" Well guess what. **** happens, and it happened to a Pliney clone full of good green stuff.
Where the metal handle goes in the holes to lift the bucket broke on one side. I stared in disbelief as the bucket of beer went down 6 steps and when it got to my basement rug and landed, miraculously the lid did not come off. However, around the airlock and hole broke open about 1 inch wide and it went flying. About one gallon of the green nectar went on my rug. I damned near crapped my pants, but I got off light, considering if it all emptied out. I cleaned it up but had to use a fan for days to dry it out. Oxyclean got the stain out on top of the rug but I'm sure it's a sticky mess under it.
So, after chiding myself for being so stupid to trust that plastic where it meets the metal handle to support that weight, I will never put full trust in it. Of course, the age of bucket probably made it brittle possibly, but new or not it makes no sense moving bucket with in it without a secondary support if the handle fails.
I've yet to taste the beer that fell, hopefully it's ok. But this is beyond embarrassing.
I'll use a net to help lift buckets around as a backup until I find something better or maybe someone here uses something else.
Don't live this nightmare.
BTW-using new buckets now.

I have a Brew Hauler for each of my Fermonsters. I have never used one on a bucket, but I'd think it would work just fine.

Beware the cheap knockoffs on Amazon! Poor quality stitching and inferior buckles and webbing make them less reliable.

The fakes are easy to spot, with "THE BREW HAULER" stitched into the handle webbing. The genuine article just says "BREW HAULER".

Don't keg off two beers, that are slated to go to competitions the following (this) weekend, without making absolutely sure there are NO issues with one of the kegs. Lid on the keg with my lager had a bad PRV, that I didn't notice on first kegging. Fortunately I'm force-carbing two at once, and this one didn't have the valve open at the manifold which would have lost me 20lb of co2. Came home tonight to pull the PRV on each, and the lager didn't even give a pffft. NOTHING. Quickly changed out for the only other lid I have that isn't in current use, and co2 is staying where it is supposed to. But I have to bottle both of these off on Friday night (absolute latest is Saturday morning, entries are due that day). Yah, don't do that.

Well I am ashamed to admit this. A couple weeks ago brewing this happened. It has been said to replace your plastic fermentation buckets if you have scratches to prevent infections. I've been using mine for over 15 years and the only infections I got were from some dumb thing I did not associated with the bucket.
However, my nightmare that at times would go thru my head is this. After you're done brewing. In my case, I use 6 gal buckets. And taking the bucket with just created beer down to my basement to ferment. I have steps to go down. This is where I hear voices. "What if the handle brakes and the bucket goes down the steps?" Well guess what. **** happens, and it happened to a Pliney clone full of good green stuff.
Where the metal handle goes in the holes to lift the bucket broke on one side. I stared in disbelief as the bucket of beer went down 6 steps and when it got to my basement rug and landed, miraculously the lid did not come off. However, around the airlock and hole broke open about 1 inch wide and it went flying. About one gallon of the green nectar went on my rug. I damned near crapped my pants, but I got off light, considering if it all emptied out. I cleaned it up but had to use a fan for days to dry it out. Oxyclean got the stain out on top of the rug but I'm sure it's a sticky mess under it.
So, after chiding myself for being so stupid to trust that plastic where it meets the metal handle to support that weight, I will never put full trust in it. Of course, the age of bucket probably made it brittle possibly, but new or not it makes no sense moving bucket with in it without a secondary support if the handle fails.
I've yet to taste the beer that fell, hopefully it's ok. But this is beyond embarrassing.
I'll use a net to help lift buckets around as a backup until I find something better or maybe someone here uses something else.
Don't live this nightmare.
BTW-using new buckets now.
Amazon has heavy-duty plastic milk crates that buckets will fit in, as well as 7g Fermonsters, which is what I use. I use them to move them around if need be, and also to keep the spigot out of the way of crazy young cat who likes to take naps on the wooly blankey I wrap my fermonster in when I'm using kveik yeast.

Put the second keg from the last batch of homebrewski on CO2 to carbonate using the 'set it and forget it' method, assuming that all the clamps and various keg connectors on the hoses are good and tight, only to return sometime later and discover each gauge on your regulator reading ZERO. Begin process of elimination and discover the hose clamp below the shutoff at the regulator is loose by several full turns with a screwdriver. Definitely..... DON'T DO THAT! Looks like it's off to the LHBS tomorrow for a tank refill.

Noooo!.gif
DOH.gif

First time trying the burst carb method, I usually just set to serving pressure and wait 2 weeks.
Pressurize the keg to 30 psi, shake, repeat. After a few rounds of this let me just pull the PRV so I can set the keg back to serving pressure....

Don't do that.

As a plus, the PRV sends the beer shooting out horizontally, so there was no need to mop the ceiling this time.

Pressurize the keg to 30 psi, shake, repeat. After a few rounds of this let me just pull the PRV [...]
Make sure the beer is (ice) cold (like after cold crashing), before burst carbonating.

I roll the keg back and forth for a few minutes (5-7) while gas is streaming in at 30-35 psi (gas post up!). Then put it upright again. If I want or need a sample, I first drape a Starsaned washcloth around the PRV to catch any foam when pulling the ring. There rarely is much blow off.

First time trying the burst carb method, I usually just set to serving pressure and wait 2 weeks.
Pressurize the keg to 30 psi, shake, repeat. After a few rounds of this let me just pull the PRV so I can set the keg back to serving pressure....

Don't do that.

As a plus, the PRV sends the beer shooting out horizontally, so there was no need to mop the ceiling this time.

The beer geysers are why I'm reluctant to try the 'shake and bake' method of force carbing.

Brewed yesterday. Was transferring cooled wort into my fermonster. I forgot that I had placed the fermonster's mesh bag into place - effectively a hop sock that fits into the fermonster's opening and hangs down to the bottom. The trub from the kettle eventually became thick enough to clog the sock, so it filled with wort and overflowed, at a time when I was looking in the kettle instead of the fermenter ... so it took a while for the putz (me) to realize what was happening.

Don't do that.

1637013832162.png

I racked beer from 7G Fermonster to keg yesterday. Non-eventful for once..was great, if not a little slow due to me not wanting to hook up external CO2. So, done, lid is loosened walk over to the sink in the garage. Place the fermonster on the edge of the sink and loosen the lid. Hops aroma comes wafting out...wow...this smells so good!!!!

Place lid, along with the dangling floating dip tube into the sink. Put the fermonster on the freezer, which is right next to the sink so it is a little lower and I can get a better whiff of the hops. Proceed to get my nose too close to the opening and take a big whiff. Promptly feel hop burn clear out my nostrils and shoot straight into the back of my skull.

Yowza!! Don't do that. (Unless maybe you're hoping to clear up your sinuses this way)

Mash recirc slowed to a dribble from the return tube (has a bunch of holes drilled in it for sparging) so i kept turning the valve open more. No change. Figured something must be up by the pump and freed up an air pocket in the pump. Boom, Wort explosion. Dont Do That!

Last edited:
Needed the 30l Sankey keg so I decided to empty the last bit of beer (around 15 litres) into an open corny so I can get my new beer into the bigger keg. Cleaned and sanitized the corny, purged it with CO2 and stuck the open end of the beer line from the keg into the Sankey's coupler. Pressed the coupler down and got the beer flowing.

I planned on letting it run and coming back later when done, but remembered the last dregs that I would like to avoid going into the corny if I can, so I ended up babysitting the corny, pulling the purge valve every now and again. Once I noticed yeast in the beer line I popped the disconnect off the corny and the flow stopped. Originally though I planned to let it run so the pressure would be zero in the Sankey, but I forgot that I stopped before the end, so the keg still had pressure. Disconnected the coupler, removed the beer line and that was it.

Now, as I do, I took the Sankey (with coupler disconnected) to the bathtub (nice big tub in the main bathroom) and sat it inside. I also typically then just push down on the coupler to let the last bit of pressure out. I know sometimes some beer/yeast might still be in there, and I expected this, so I took a small plastic cup and placed it over the beer out JG fitting on the coupler.

I did not, however, remember that there was still 25PSI of pressure in the keg, with quite a bit of yeast sediment, and I pressed down on the coupler.

The plastic cup flew straight up, flipping over about 2 feet above the keg. The stream of yeast hit the bottom of the cup, covering me and the rest of the bathroom in a fine, misty spray of the world's finest Oslo. This knock shot the cup out of the way and the stream of yeast continued to create a nice yeast stain on the ceiling. Pressure dropped remarkably fast though and I managed to get the coupler disconnected before it became too bad, but wife is NOT happy. I now have to see if I can wash the yeast stain off, or if I'll have to repaint the ceiling in the bathroom. Yay.

Don't Do That.

Put the second keg from the last batch of homebrewski on CO2 to carbonate using the 'set it and forget it' method, assuming that all the clamps and various keg connectors on the hoses are good and tight, only to return sometime later and discover each gauge on your regulator reading ZERO. Begin process of elimination and discover the hose clamp below the shutoff at the regulator is loose by several full turns with a screwdriver. Definitely..... DON'T DO THAT! Looks like it's off to the LHBS tomorrow for a tank refill.

View attachment 741737 View attachment 741738
this is why i still bottle

Back