Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't crack open a bottle at room temperature and when it starts gushing put your finger onto the opening and spraying beer everywhere.

Edit. Added a couple words to make it make more sense.

Sticking your ding-ding into a hot waffle iron in hopes of becoming waffle weinie man.
Don't do that.
(no i haven't done this...just think it would be a bad idea.)

I have no idea what I brewed today. I did hit my numbers though :)

Weigh out the majority of a recipe while you await mail order of Honey Malt and C10 ... get busy for 10 weeks ... when you get back to the real world, DO NOT consult your notes ... just throw a pound of honey malt in what you think was grist for the Honey Wheat. Discover halfway through grinding that the grist set aside was for a Blonde Ale.

Idiot Bastard Son is the only name I can think of for this beer.

Don't Do That .. on the other hand, if it turns out great .. Do That ! Again.

Follow up on this post from 8/8 .. drinking this beer now .. really sweet with a full pound of honey malt .. nice honey color though. I hope somebody else limes it or I have to drink all 5G. Never do that ;-)

When you weren't looking i replaced your roll of toilet papaer with 80-grit sandpaper.

:p

Sticking your ding-ding into a hot waffle iron in hopes of becoming waffle weinie man.
Don't do that.
(no i haven't done this...just think it would be a bad idea.)

If a man would do this, then take a picture of the results and send it to someone, than that man would be Anthony Weiner.

Don't forget about the grains & stuff piling up in the dunnage container while you move on to other projects, like restoring rifles, framing beer labels,...

Don't think you can walk away for a few minutes as your starter heats up. Big time boil over. Do immediately start cleaning up. Spraying air freshener everywhere before SWMBO gets home.

On the bright side, that stove has some boiling power!

Pretty minor, but don't forget to close the spigot on your bottling bucket before filling it with a big and expensive batch of RIS. Only lost a few ounces, but still. :(

Pretty minor, but don't forget to close the spigot on your bottling bucket before filling it with a big and expensive batch of RIS. Only lost a few ounces, but still. :(

I have a completely overboard, OCD-like compulsion to check that multiple times when sanitizing before every bottling session...

...so yeah, no leaks, but it's definitely a bit of a "five minutes to Wapner" kind of thing with me...

Don't think you can walk away for a few minutes as your starter heats up. Big time boil over. Do immediately start cleaning up. Spraying air freshener everywhere before SWMBO gets home.

Every single ****ing time. I'm going to use US-05 so often this coming year.

Don't try to make a 2.2 liter starter in a 2 liter flask and expect it to stay within....... BTW it was wild yeast off a rose bloom. Hoping!!!

I have a completely overboard, OCD-like compulsion to check that multiple times when sanitizing before every bottling session...

...so yeah, no leaks, but it's definitely a bit of a "five minutes to Wapner" kind of thing with me...

I have a motto: When is the best time to check you spigot? Now!

Seriously, everyone, stop what you're doing and go do check your spigot right now. You'll have ease of mind that next time you fill your bucket/kettle/cooler, you won't loose anything. And in a week from now, a day, an hour, 5 minutes, guess what, it'll be 'now' again. Be sure to go check it then too.

dont forget to put your false bottom back into your mash tun and only realize it right before vorlauf when not a single drop comes out.... fortunately i had an extra kettle i could dump the hot mash into and then dump it back...... no fun though and really heavy. and hot too.

Don't be too lazy to learn to tie a knot properly on the rope noose you use to pull your BiaB bag after mashing

and compound this error by assuming your half-assed knot you came up with will be tight enough.... try to pull 10kg bag....bag slips from knot... SPLASH.... covered head to toe.....wort sure is sticky (and a little hot)! Don't do that.

At least the wretched grains stayed in the bag so I could pull it properly with a better slip knot and aside from having sticking up hair ('Something about Mary' style) and smelling great it was a gentle lesson to learn

I'm doing a kettle sour Berliner Weisse and brought the kettle inside since the winds kicked up. Wanted to check temp and ph today and thought I'd do a co2 purge again before sealing back up.

Don't have kettle sitting on carpet and turn on tank with hose in the wort. It "burped" all over my carpet.

Glad the wife wasn't around!

During the whole process I was thinking, "bad idea". I need to listen to the voices in my head. :)

Did that when she was at home. Did not end well....

Been there. But SWMBO was yelling at me for months because she was there....

Brew on Sunday . Leave grains in the mash tun until Monday night . Dump stinky grains in a contractor bag and put them in the back of the pickup to dispose of elsewhere. Forget about the bag for two days in the back of the truck ... Bag rips open when taking it out of the truck. Juice from bag leaks all over the truck bed . The smell is overwhelming I may have to set fire to the truck now ... Don't do that . Or leave the boil kettle uncleaned In the driveway until Thursday night and contemplate not cleaning it until friday night

Don't start brewing immediately after returning from getting a tooth pulled while still numb. About 2 hrs later I was really regretting the idea. Broken Tooth Ale turned out pretty decent though.

When your wife calls you at work to tell you the power is out at the house and the kids are going nuts, don't let your first question be if she can go into the garage to check on the temp of your fermenting batch of beer. Don't do that.

You've been sleeping on the couch, since?

Pitch your yeast and then, after a while, take your OG reading because you forgot. Don't do that,

Also, perform an obsessive sanitation of your fermenter, but then push down your dry hops with your bare hands until your entire forearm is lowered into the wort... do'h. Don't do that.

Walk in the door with a plastic bag of speciality grains when your daughter and her damn jumping dog are at home visiting.

Ripped hole in plastic = grains all over the floor! Arghhggggghhhhh!!!!!!

Don't forget to loosen the cap on a inoculation tube while in the incubator before leaving on a 4 day mini vaca. Explosion of a wild yeast culture.

Mess with psi then forget to check later. A week later I'm wondering why my pour is so slow. Oh, no psi. Oh well, this dubbel needs some age anyway.

She might see through this ruse

IMG_0872.JPG

Having 50l porter vort for a 90m boil. Going for a little catnap. Waking upp 4 hours later with 15l surup. Note to myself No sleeping While boil.

Go on vacation to a beach destination, pack you extra shoes in a grocery bag for the return trip, because they're sandy and still wet, then get lazy and forget to unpack them until the following weekend.

Don't do that.

I about barfed.

Back