Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I kegged 10 gallons of ESB in my garage and a few hours later I figured that I'd drop the temperature in the chest freezer down to 45 to inhibit the growth of any mold/mildew in since there was some condensation on the sides and bottom of the freezer. I couldn't remember which outlet of the controller controlled the heating and which did the cooling, but I was pretty sure I remembered how they were configured. I woke up this morning to check on it and the freezer was up to 120F because I'd gotten the outlets mixed up. That 50W reptile heater puts out more heat than I'd realized.

Don't do that.

i8hSMHm.gif

...unless you want to "kettle sour" a berlinerweisse!

Don't put a glass thermometer into your boil kettle as the boil is just about finished to sanitize it. Apparently glass cracked and i blew the top off the thermometer. Yeah, don't do that.

Don't plan to start a brew session to make a christmas gift shortly after you move into a house and haven't slept much or had a chance to unpack. And don't cap that off by trying 2 new (to you) techniques. Certainly don't start that brew session late in the afternoon, less than a day before you start a 7 hour drive. Then don't assume that fermcap-s will stop a boil-over in a very full kettle when you add hops with the lid partway on.

Don't do that.

I accidentally mashed my first beer at 161 degrees. I didn't check the temp until 30 minutes in, and then it took me 25 minutes to get the temp down to 153. Don't do that. BTW, stirring your mash tun doesn't instantly drop the temp by 8 degrees.

I accidentally mashed my first beer at 161 degrees. I didn't check the temp until 30 minutes in, and then it took me 25 minutes to get the temp down to 153. Don't do that. BTW, stirring your mash tun doesn't instantly drop the temp by 8 degrees.

So how did the beer turn out and what was the final gravity?

Flavor was good but it stalled at 1.050 and it's pretty much a dumper. I even pitched a second strain of super yeast but I am afraid there was too much complex starch in my mash.

Flavor was good but it stalled at 1.050 and it's pretty much a dumper. I even pitched a second strain of super yeast but I am afraid there was too much complex starch in my mash. I might attempt to brew the same beer again but I think I need to do a lot of things differently.

Towards the end of the mash, remember the false bottom gasket you made specifically to stop stuck sparges is laying by the wort chiller. Lucky me it only stuck once when starting.

Tell yourself "I'll remember what's in the lone, unmarked, 22 in the back of the fridge." Then mistakenly grab it, open it, take a drink, and realize it was the last bottle of of a batch that you were waiting to share with family on Christmas.

Tell yourself "I'll remember what's in the lone, unmarked, 22 in the back of the fridge." Then mistakenly grab it, open it, take a drink, and realize it was the last bottle of of a batch that you were waiting to share with family on Christmas.

Don't tell the family and they will never know.

Pour the last bag of grain into your strike water, and then realize that the bag, which is about 50% of your grain bill, isn't crushed. Then frantically attempt to crush it in the blender and get into the mash with the rest of it.

Don't do that.

Pour the last bag of grain into your strike water, and then realize that the bag, which is about 50% of your grain bill, isn't crushed. Then frantically attempt to crush it in the blender and get into the mash with the rest of it.

Don't do that.

No way! I can imagine me doing that after 1 too many beers. Did it turn out ok?

I think if you can mash uncrushed grain for multiple days and recirc, you'd eventually get your conversion, but you might get all kinds of other unpleasantness.

Put a bag of LME on an element that you just used to heat water for a sparge. What a mess, surprisingly not too hard to clean up.

Don't do that

Accidentally quadruple the amount of acid malt you have going into a stout because you eyeball it. Dont do that.

Do not break the stick off of a bottle rocket and throw it under the bathroom door while your friend is in there pooping.

Be the person who proves wrong the conventional wisdom about the benefit of pin lock kegs being you can't accidentally mix up the gas and liquid QDs. When trying to fill a keg, accidentally put the liquid QD on the gas post. Get it stuck so badly that the only way to remove it is to twist off the entire post. Listen with frustration as the CO2 rushes out of your meticulously purged keg. Struggle to separate the stuck QD from the post until realizing that they seem to be permanently joined, then resign yourself to having to replace both of them.

Don't do any of that.

Flavor was good but it stalled at 1.050 and it's pretty much a dumper. I even pitched a second strain of super yeast but I am afraid there was too much complex starch in my mash. I might attempt to brew the same beer again but I think I need to do a lot of things differently.

Don't dump or "Don't do that" Add some amylase and give it a few weeks and it will be golden.

Don't dump or "Don't do that" Add some amylase and give it a few weeks and it will be golden.

It's already in bottles. Hmm. Maybe I should dump some of the bottles into a 1-gallon carboy and give this a shot. Thanks!

It's already in bottles. Hmm. Maybe I should dump some of the bottles into a 1-gallon carboy and give this a shot. Thanks!

Pour very carefully to avoid oxidation and add just a little bit of sugar or similar to give the yeast something to fuel scrubbing any oxygen that does make it in as the enzyme take a little while to do it's thing.

Pull out your brand new Galaxy S7 cell phone ($750) to take a picture of the boiling wort and then drop the phone into the kettle, try to get it out with the smash paddle, then push the cell phone under copper tube connected to the ball valve! Don't do that!

I must admit, after being in there for about 5 minutes, I managed to get the phone out and it still worked! I was able to text the photo to my buddy about 10 minutes later, after the overheat warning displayed on the screen went away!

Pull out your brand new Galaxy S7 cell phone ($750) to take a picture of the boiling wort and then drop the phone into the kettle, try to get it out with the smash paddle, then push the cell phone under copper tube connected to the ball valve! Don't do that!

I must admit, after being in there for about 5 minutes, I managed to get the phone out and it still worked! I was able to text the photo to my buddy about 10 minutes later, after the overheat warning displayed on the screen went away!

Not as bad but I was finishing my beer at night and dropped my flashlight into the boil once! Yeah, don't do that either!

Do not break the stick off of a bottle rocket and throw it under the bathroom door while your friend is in there pooping.

haha this brings back memories of being 10 years old and having 24 dozen bottle rockets after a road trip through TN. Mom said no fireworks, dad said don't tell mom. One of the most entertaining years of my life.

Here's a few all from the last 24 hours:

1. Went to make a starter yesterday for an ESB I'd be brewing today. My 2L flask was broken so I figured screw it, and decided to use my 1L. For a .93 liter starter. Boil water in it, then decide to pour DME in. While on the heat. While boiling.
2. After cleaning up the resulting mess and finally getting a starter made, it was time to keg a 5G batch of Oaked Porter into 2.5G kegs. First keg done, second one filled, go to put the lid on and....suddenly recall seeing the O ring at the bottom of the keg before filling. Whooops. Sprayed sanitizer up and down my arms, and into the keg I go searching.
3. Solid brew day this morning, wort in fermenter, spray the oxygen wand with sanitizer, dunk it in, reseal everything. Go to clean up, and realize that I sprayed the wand down not with star San solution but plain old water i was using to keep away the boil over. Whooops. Hope the wand was clean?

Tldr; Throw care, cleanliness, and sanitation out the window when catching up on brew tasks after a long work week. Yeah, don't do that.

No way! I can imagine me doing that after 1 too many beers. Did it turn out ok?

In the end it did. My efficiency was horrible, so I added some DME and sugar (didn't have enough DME ) and ended up hitting my numbers perfectly.

Here's a few all from the last 24 hours:
3. Solid brew day this morning, wort in fermenter, spray the oxygen wand with sanitizer, dunk it in, reseal everything. Go to clean up, and realize that I sprayed the wand down not with star San solution but plain old water i was using to keep away the boil over. Whooops. Hope the wand was clean?

Tldr; Throw care, cleanliness, and sanitation out the window when catching up on brew tasks after a long work week. Yeah, don't do that.

I have my spray bottles (starSan, bleach, Water) all different colors, and written all over with what they are, along with the dilution ratios. (The bleach solution also gets "XXX" written in 5 places, cause I do NOT want to mess that one up.)

I'll also note that my wand storage may have contributed to a series of wild yeast infections, though after narrowing down possibilities I wasn't going to go testing stuff.
I boiled it and I am now back to storing it IN a solution of StarSan instead of just spraying it down, as I had done for 30 batches before I had any issues.

I have my spray bottles (starSan, bleach, Water) all different colors, and written all over with what they are, along with the dilution ratios. (The bleach solution also gets "XXX" written in 5 places, cause I do NOT want to mess that one up.)

I'll also note that my wand storage may have contributed to a series of wild yeast infections, though after narrowing down possibilities I wasn't going to go testing stuff.
I boiled it and I am now back to storing it IN a solution of StarSan instead of just spraying it down, as I had done for 30 batches before I had any issues.

Damn good tip. The wand was brand new out of the box, so I'm not sure if that helps or hurts me lol. I did clean it up and sanitize before putting it back away, but for the future i'm definitely going to color/mark the StarSan bottle much clearer.

Thanks to the Arctic temps here, and the fact that my kegerator is outside, the reptile tape isn't cutting it for heating. SO, I had to put the "big daddy" 100W reptile bulb into action. A couple days later I shuffled a couple kegs around and didn't notice one of the CO2 lines getting too close to the heater. I just HAPPENED to come out the next morning, completely randomly, to check on things to find a busted CO2 line and a nearly empty CO2 cylinder.

Don't do that.

Leave swmbo' cans of soda in the mini fridge, when the uninsulated garage is going to be a high of 20, low of 0!
I feel like a dooooosh, and have to wait for warm weather to cleanView attachment 381288

My wife (gf at time) hid a bottle of pop from me in the truck and forgot about it, hit -30 a week later and the one side of my truck looked like that. Had to find a heated underground parking to clean it up.

Back