Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the nearly perfect brew day, everything going so well that you decide to rack a fermenter of beer to keg while the boil is ongoing.

But the brew has a lot of pieces (additions at 20, 15, 10 and 2 minutes), so you forget to star-san the spigot from the fermenter before you rack it to the keg. No, I wasn't drinking....yet.

Don't do that!

Hopefully it will turn out ok. The beer has ABV of around 6.5%, perhaps it will be inhospitable to whatever might have made its way into the keg.

Don't buy cheap keg O rings on amazon and expect them to work perfectly, then not check your serving QD only to find its leaking slowly.

6 hours later, there's 2 gallons of beer in the bottom of my keezer because it leaked out from under the QD while I was out of the house buying new brewing equipment... So much for that keg

one of my friends and his old rodeo partner made an O2/Acetylene bomb with a construction grade trash bag. don't do that.
47.gif
50.gif

6.gif

Spamming by copying old posts. Don't do that.

Assume you've bought all the ingredients for a brew, only to find on brew day that you didn't. Don't do that...:goat:

I just did that in preparation for brewing Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter. Had everything, except it turns out that the Crystal 30L I thought I had turned out to be Crystal 60L.

I went with it, but the lesson is to double-check and be certain. I'm sure I'll learn that lesson someday. :)

I just did that in preparation for brewing Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter. Had everything, except it turns out that the Crystal 30L I thought I had turned out to be Crystal 60L.

I went with it, but the lesson is to double-check and be certain. I'm sure I'll learn that lesson someday. :)

Did that as well. The crystal 10L I thought I had turned out to be 40L. Had only noticed it on Mumme brew day!...:goat:

1. Break up with your girlfriend of 4 years with a killer 3 year old Kriek going in the basement. Necessitated me moving to a new home and moving the kriek. Didn't work and coated the bed of my truck nicely.

2. Basically quit homebrewing for 2 years only to pick up a copy of BYO at Barnes and Noble and get sucked right back into wanting to go back into it. New girlfriend pushing you to get back into it hard core as she's a beer lover (emigrated here from Germany). Re-acquainting myself with modern tools/techniques and realizing I might need to upgrade my kit. Thus - why I'm here, today.

Don't do either.

Kinda did the same thing. Threw out a nasty bag of hop gunk, forgetting to remove the heavy shot glass I'd put in it as a weight. Don't do that!

I have no idea what I brewed today. I did hit my numbers though :)

Weigh out the majority of a recipe while you await mail order of Honey Malt and C10 ... get busy for 10 weeks ... when you get back to the real world, DO NOT consult your notes ... just throw a pound of honey malt in what you think was grist for the Honey Wheat. Discover halfway through grinding that the grist set aside was for a Blonde Ale.

Idiot Bastard Son is the only name I can think of for this beer.

Don't Do That .. on the other hand, if it turns out great .. Do That ! Again.

I did these 3 things all at once this morning .. opened a keg that kicked and was rinsed last month .. began spritzing it with Star San .. farted

don't do that .. you won't know if the Sulphur smell is last month's keg, last week's sanitizer, or last night's IPA

Add a 4th tap to your keezer; get all the parts cleaned and ready to go, drill the hole with no mishaps, install the tap perfectly in line with the others, connect line to the tailpiece via MFL and tighten, connect via MFL to QD for liquid out post BUT FORGET TO TIGHTEN IT DOWN.

Two days later, an icicle down the side of the keg and beer on the floor of the keezer. And hour plus of disconnecting everything, removing from keezer, cleaning it all up, and returning kegs to keezer. Probably 3 beers lost. Thank goodness for slow leaks.

Failing to tighten all connections? Don't do that!

Fall asleep while boiling? .... don't do that
11 gallons of ESB becomes 5 of Barley wine
I'm failing to see the problem there.... :tank:

I set my mash temperature on the electric controller then adjusted the element power level, for a ramp from 140--156, then took the family out to dinner.
Came back to the "honey, the house smells like beer" and discovered that I had only set it to power level instead of temperature, it boiled under the bag (decoction-in-a-bag?), and therefor the steam pressure continually "burped" up the side of the eBIAB kettle and onto the floor. Wasn't even going to attempt to goof with it after that, mopped, cleaned, and went to bed.
Better $20 in ingredients and 1 hour of time lost, than following through and possibly dumping another $20 of yeast/hops and 6 more hours of time.

Thank goodness it was a cement floor with a floor-drain 6 feet away. Next time I do anything unattended like that, I'm wheeling the brew cart over top of the drain, just in case.

Don't clean your equipment with isopropyl alcohol without checking chemical resistance charts first... Works fine with PET, HDPE, PP and PVC, but causes polycarbonates to crack. There goes my autosiphon :mad:

Fall asleep while boiling? .... don't do that

11 gallons of ESB becomes 5 of Barley wine

Wow, how are you ever going to choke down those 5 gallons of barleywine?

Actually, I would assume that would be a problem if you don't have a high-gravity yeast or a good way to aerate it. I'd say you could also just boil some plain water to dilute it, but the IBUs are also probably screwed up from hops boiling for hours and hours.

Brew, hit your numbers, save IC water for clean up, scrub, hose out all the equipment...Then leave the cooler sitting outside for 2 days because you wanted to make sure you 'put it somewhere out of the way to make sure it dries w/o being messed with' Don't do that.

Brew, hit your numbers, save IC water for clean up, scrub, hose out all the equipment...Then leave the cooler sitting outside for 2 days because you wanted to make sure you 'put it somewhere out of the way to make sure it dries w/o being messed with' Don't do that.

I don't quite understand -- did you forget to wash the mash tun cooler then leave it in summer heat for a resulting horrible smell, or what exactly?

I don't quite understand -- did you forget to wash the mash tun cooler then leave it in summer heat for a resulting horrible smell, or what exactly?

No, thankfully it was hosed out first but I just left it sitting on patio, on its side with the lid open for 2 days. It got leaves and acorns inside so I have to clean it again, plus I just generally don't like leaving my equipment out and open for 2 days

Man, I'm gettin' REALLY tired of posting to this thread...

GREAT BREW DAY: Didn't time myself but I bet I was close to personal best for time, but never felt I was rushing, just movin' and groovin'. BIAB efficiency was SUPERB, and the hops just smelled SO good today.

GREAT BREW DAY, RUINED: Realizing during the chill phase that you accidentally built your water with the iodized salt instead of the non-iodized.

Don't do that.

I'm ~4 hours and $32 into it, so I guess I'll finish cooling and pitch the Notty to see what happens. Is there any hope for it? Is 5.5 grams of iodized salt into a 6.5 gallon batch really the end of it?

Man, I'm gettin' REALLY tired of posting to this thread...

GREAT BREW DAY: Didn't time myself but I bet I was close to personal best for time, but never felt I was rushing, just movin' and groovin'. BIAB efficiency was SUPERB, and the hops just smelled SO good today.

GREAT BREW DAY, RUINED: Realizing during the chill phase that you accidentally built your water with the iodized salt instead of the non-iodized.

Don't do that.

I'm ~4 hours and $32 into it, so I guess I'll finish cooling and pitch the Notty to see what happens. Is there any hope for it? Is 5.5 grams of iodized salt into a 6.5 gallon batch really the end of it?

Yeah, like @JonM said, it will be just fine.

The amount of (potassium/sodium) Iodide/Iodate in table salt is very small, compared to its main component, Sodium Chloride (NaCl). In turn, the amount of salt we add to beer is also relatively small, even in a Gose. We're after the Sodium ion (Na+).

Also remember, Iodide or Iodate is not Iodine (I2), the disinfectant/sanitizer.

Have your carboy full of beer and ready to package in the fridge in a brew hauler. Drag it forward, and then start to lift it... to have the carboy fall out of the hauler, and onto your foot. Don't to that!

Actually, the good: The carboy rolled on it's side, and the carboy cap stayed on. No beer was lost. Similarly, I watched the carboy topple, land on the plastic part of the fridge and then on it's side onto my foot, rather than concrete. I assume that is why it didn't break.

So very happy I only had a "unsettled" beer and a achy foot rather than a lost batch, a mess on the floor and a cut up foot. Will be using glass less and less!

Put your Vienna lager in the fridge to cold crash. At the back so it's out of the way.
Go to bottle it and it's got a huge ice block floating in the growler.

Don't do that.

I went ahead and bottled it anyway, tastes stronger than it should. The cool kids do this with eisbocks so maybe my eis-vienna will come out ok and with a bit more ABV :rockin:

Brewed a delicious Citra Session IPA @ 4.5% ABV
Drink twice as much because I can

Up to pee at least once a night.

Don't do that

Drop a bag of dry hops into a warm carbonated keg. I posted that here two years ago, and did it a again anyway. Threw out the area rug. Wiped down everything after i miss placed the keg lid and sprayed everywhere.

Don't plug your Grainfather in to a timer to have your water heated before your awake without making sure the pump is off. Woke up to 4 gallons of water on the floor.

Latest posts

Back