Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget to check the temp your STC-1000+ is set to when starting off a fresh batch --- DON'T DO THAT!

I almost had some REALLY hard cider (as in frozen!) I cought it the next morning and fixed the temp my STC was set to, but it was close. :)

aaaaaand here comes the glass vs. plastic debate.
or is it aluminium vs. stainless......
or maybe ball lock vs. pin lock....
oh, no, I know..... primary vs. secondary, yeah, dat's it..... :drunk:

Nah, the BIAB vs. 3 Vessel All Grain

I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with a screw cap. Currently my go to primary. My mother in law got it at a flea market somewhere. Couple of gallons pbw soaking overnight inverted and the krausen ring is history.

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Thought I'd add my latest.

Don't unscrew the liquid post on your pin lock keg before relieving the pressure in the keg. Corollary: Don't remove the liquid post first. Fortunately, the keg was as empty as normally possible from the party the day before, but a fine, Hoegaarden mist did manage to erupt.

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Thought I'd add my latest.

Don't unscrew the liquid post on your pin lock keg before relieving the pressure in the keg. Corollary: Don't remove the liquid post first. Fortunately, the keg was as empty as normally possible from the party the day before, but a fine, Hoegaarden mist did manage to erupt.

I just did this over the weekend. Huge mess!!

I had my immersion chiller in the boiling wort for about 15 minutes.
I hook the inlet to my cold water faucet.
Somehow I must have got some wort on my hands and they were sticky.
I turned the water on and thought the outlet water was ideal to rinse my hands.
Don't Do That!

I had my immersion chiller in the boiling wort for about 15 minutes.
I hook the inlet to my cold water faucet.
Somehow I must have got some wort on my hands and they were sticky.
I turned the water on and thought the outlet water was ideal to rinse my hands.
Don't Do That!

Ouch

Brewed a baltic porter late yesterday. OG 1.100, oxygenated, pitched 2 cups of slurry @ 50F.
Somehow it made perfect sense to leave the bucket on my back porch since the forecast called for 50F all night.
This morning I cleared my fermentation chamber and began carrying the porter the 40 or so feet. After just a few steps there was a hissing sound. I then noticed Krausen spurting through the airlock. At this point I noticed the lid doming due to pressure.
What to do?? I pulled the airlock. What followed was a deafening sound and an instantaneous krausen geyser shooting up 6 feet, hitting the ceiling before returning to soak me in a sticky mess. Only lost about 1/2 gallon.

Don't agitate your fermentor at peak fermentation. Don't do that.

LOL, just saw this from a friend researching canning and thought of the pressure canning starter wort discussion. So if you are going to, be sure the pressure valve works!!

11903721_10152968967667653_7302418003999080010_n.jpg

LOL, just saw this from a friend researching canning and thought of the pressure canning starter wort discussion. So if you are going to, be sure the pressure valve works!!

Talk about a catastrophic canner failure. Sweet jeesus. Hopefully no one was standing anywhere near (let alone over) that thing. I wonder if homeowners or renters insurance would cover that.

You know it wouldn't surprise me if someone got the "brainiac idea" to disable the prv on the pressure cooker. You know, to make it work faster or something.

I know this has been quoted a few times already, but after seeing it a few times I JUST noticed the lid embedded in the ceiling.

That's some serious stuff right there.

Haha, woah. I missed that detail as well until you mentioned it.

Snopes

Yeah, I'm that guy. Although, they don't really give a compelling reason why they think it's false other than there's not food splattered all over the kitchen.

For all you know they were only heating water at the time to test the release valve. There is no real good reason why the photo is not true other than it probably wasn't from the person who posted it... which isn't surprising at all.

For all you know they were only heating water at the time to test the release valve. There is no real good reason why the photo is not true other than it probably wasn't from the person who posted it... which isn't surprising at all.

Still doesn't explain the lack of blood splatter.

Snopes

Yeah, I'm that guy. Although, they don't really give a compelling reason why they think it's false other than there's not food splattered all over the kitchen.

LOL, just saw this and thought of the pressure canning starter wort discussion. So if you are going to, be sure the pressure valve works!!

Teach me to pass on pics, although it achieves the humorous warning status.

I vote for no experimental testing unless your on the mythbuster team:D

What bothers me is this: See that little black dot on the lid right under the steam release vent? If it's like mine, that's a little safety valve that's meant to burst and release pressure if somehow the vent is clogged; i.e., the safety valve bursts long before the whole cooker would burst. The gasket is also meant to burst before the cooker blows. So we have three independent safety features that have to fail before this would happen. Sure, anything's possible, but that has me puzzled.

Back