Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What bothers me is this: See that little black dot on the lid right under the steam release vent? If it's like mine, that's a little safety valve that's meant to burst and release pressure if somehow the vent is clogged; i.e., the safety valve bursts long before the whole cooker would burst. The gasket is also meant to burst before the cooker blows. So we have three independent safety features that have to fail before this would happen. Sure, anything's possible, but that has me puzzled.

Made in China

Looks staged to me. My thoughts are that the lid and rim of the pot part would be warped, bowed, bent out of shape or otherwise mangled because the pressure would have to do something to mess with the lid lock. Still a cool picture though and I would hate to be around when something like that would have gone off.

The blast force needed to bend steel like that would be more than enough to destroy eardrums and lungs.

Snopes

Yeah, I'm that guy. Although, they don't really give a compelling reason why they think it's false other than there's not food splattered all over the kitchen.

Think of the set-up involved for that were it staged. The kitchen it took place in, the ruined stove, the lid embedded in the ceiling - it would have to be on a movie set, IMHO.

Think of the set-up involved for that were it staged. The kitchen it took place in, the ruined stove, the lid embedded in the ceiling - it would have to be on a movie set, IMHO.

An old broken stove gets a couple good whacks with a sledgehammer, oven hood gets the same treatment, cut the end of the lid off to make it appear like it's embedded in the ceiling, and voila. Maybe someone's having a laugh before redecorating.

That reminds me of the Mythbusters episode where they defeat all the safeties on an electric hot water heater and it blows through the roof of a little "home" they built. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbreKn4PoAc[/ame]

It just goes to show how much force pressurized steam has. I remember one time, when I was still working & in the Ford Foundry charging ladles. One of the cube lo's (iron melting furnace) blew up. It blew with such force, the whole area of the plant shook! Nothing but a-holes & elbows as all tried to escape the volcano of molten iron going everywhere. Just like an exploding volcano with iron lava flows...

Tell the wife that the new kettle and element are for the "both of us" then come home to find two turkey carcasses in a mesh bag boiling in the kettle.

Man, oh man, Don't do THAT!

Carcass stew I can get behind. Didn't think about that.
I was thinking whole bird...

Tell the wife that the new kettle and element are for the "both of us" then come home to find two turkey carcasses in a mesh bag boiling in the kettle.

Man, oh man, Don't do THAT!

This is actually a very funny anecdote. Quite imaginable, and the look on your face must have been one of a kind.
My wife did a similar thing when she needed a large pot. I was out of town and she thought, hmm, what would my husband do...? She was so proud telling me over the phone.

"Carcass soup" (from turkey, chicken, ham bones, even vegetables, you name it) is very rewarding. A slow simmer for 4 hours or more is only worth it when making bigger amounts. I've used my brew kettles for that (with a plug in the bulkhead) with no bad effects on the beer. Just a good scrub with a detergent followed by washing soda or PBW.

Pour the broth out through a strainer or chinois.

I've used the 3 or 4 gallon SS kettles from the set of 4 we bought years ago. I took the 5 gallon for a brew kettle. Cover & bring to a boil, then reduce to a good simmer for a couple hours. Then strain, pick out the meat, etc. Storing in a big bowl in the fridge overnight gets the fat to congeal on the top & seal it. It then makes meat jello beneath that! Oh yeah...:ban:

Think that the half done pressurized transfer to your keg from your Speidel will be fine if you just cut the gas off while you run upstairs to grab the scale so you can weigh your keg.
Don't do that.
My basement floor was apparently very thirsty.

View attachment 1449117463594.jpg

Your pic reminds me of that Crown Royal magazine add. The one where the bottle is broken, & it says, " Wanna see a grown man cry"? :(

This beer has been a post brew day disaster. Fg stopped way to high. Only got 8.5g in the fermenter. Only got 6g into kegs from spillage and spigot clogging.
Cleaning the speidel today and moving on.

Doom, despair, & agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...doom, despair, & agony on meeeee...:D:confused::(

Rushing through brew day and heat your batch sparge water in the BK. Then try to find enough of SWMBO's pots and pans to catch wort until you can sparge and empty the BK. Don't do that.

Doing BIAB on a Korean electric stove, finally figuring out that you can turn it on "double turbo" if you only use on burner. Do so. Be happy that the strike water heated up so much faster than normal. Then forget to take the damn pot off the burning while mashing and waaaaay overshoot your mash temp even though the stove's off since the "double turbo" mode made the stove top so much hotter than normal. Don't do that.

Forget to check the crush of your grain as it comes out of the mill, mash it anyway, and turn an imperial ipa recipe into a session ipa. Also forget to put your hops bazooka in the boil kettle _before_ six gallons of hot wort go in.

Don't do either of those things.

Forget to check the crush of your grain as it comes out of the mill, mash it anyway, and turn an imperial ipa recipe into a session ipa. Also forget to put your hops bazooka in the boil kettle _before_ six gallons of hot wort go in.

Don't do either of those things.

Same note... Don't forget to put you bazooka screen in your cooler mash tun before starting the mash. 8 pairs of latex gloves on top of each other and I figured it may be a good idea to write a reminder on the top of the tun.

Also, don't ignore a beeping sound coming from your garage. Heard it, dismissed it. Went back in 24 hours later and realized it was my temp controller alerting me that ferm temp was at 88 degrees. Apparently the controller switch to turn in the freezer was shot but it still could tell the temp just fine. Total dumper batch.

Rushing through brew day and heat your batch sparge water in the BK. Then try to find enough of SWMBO's pots and pans to catch wort until you can sparge and empty the BK. Don't do that.

5Gal HDPE foodgrade buckets are your friend. I try to keep a half dozen on hand because they are cheep and so handy.

Your pic reminds me of that Crown Royal magazine add. The one where the bottle is broken, & it says, " Wanna see a grown man cry"? :(

my Dad's favorite story to tell on me...came home from the Army, got in real late, and he found me on the front porch crying over a broken brand new bottle of Wild Turkey...I was already very drunk, tired, and emotional at the time....it wasn't pretty or funny.

YEARS later I learned you could actually put the cork back into a bottle of Wild Turkey and would not go flat....life got much easier. I never did find the answers to life's problems in a bottle....but I sure found the bottom of the bottle way too many times.

Forget to open the check valve on your regulator and wonder why your beer is trickling out of the faucet. Don't do that.
Same batch while force carbing at room temp, wonder why the pressure keeps decreasing on your regulator. Then realize after 4 days, you're out of co2. ****!

Dry hop 4 oz of with loose pellets in a SS Brewing Brew Bucket. The semi conical bottom helps you get almost every last bit of beer out off the yeast cake, but with this much loose hops you are going to have a buried diptube which when bottling will make you have a bad time.

Attempt your first batch using your new igloo cooler at 5:00pm on a friday and think you can setup fly sparging in your kitchen then also think you'll be able to complete a 3 hour boil after that. Don't do that.

Doom, despair, & agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...doom, despair, & agony on meeeee...:D:confused::(

I know that song....the Fugs....right? They also did "Do You Like Bxxxs Alot". It's actually "Gloom, Despair, and Agony".
Wait, it is actually Hee-Haw, but I think the Fugs covered it....

And East Cleveland, West Elyria.... On another note, start thinking about wearing a mask & gloves like TSA while brewing...please don't do that!...;)

Back