Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heating my mash tun (plastic cooler) with some boiling water. Time to pour out the still 200°+ water before mashing in and decided to tip the cooler onto its side instead of tossing the water down the driveway. I was wearing sandals.

A significant portion of the water splashed to the side of the cooler, right on one of my feet. Thankfully I only suffered some minor reddening of the skin and a little tenderness.

DON'T DO THAT.

That must have hurt. To save water (and skin) another option is to overheat your strike water and leave it in the mash tun instead of using a separate kettle of water to pre-heat.

I did something similar once. Afterwards, I held the scalded part of my foot against the icy cold propane tank, which really helped.

DO upgrade to Perlick. However...

Don't insert faucet cap/brush and re-connect wet side line with OUT checking to make sure the tap is in the closed position. Yeah, don't do that! I just changed my shorts and t-shirt.

Last weekend I was kegging a batch. I hook co2 up to one of those orange carboy caps and use the co2 to get the siphon going. SWMBO started talking to me and I didn't notice that too much co2 was going in (couldn't hear because she had just started the nearby washing machine). We're talking and then KABLAMMO!! Over pressure made the cap pop off with one hell of a bang that scared the crap out of both of us.

No harm to anyone or to the beer or to the equipment, but still - don't do that.

i did this once. i've never transferred that way again.

Adding hop pellets to a Sanke keg for dry-hopping without using a bag, because, hey, the spear has a big diameter, and it can't get clogged, right? and not realizing that there actually is a really small gap that is created when the Sanke tap is opened, which caused the inside of the spear to become packed with hop debris, clogging up the whole thing.

Don't do that.

btw, anyone know how to open up a Sanke spear? (I know how to take off the external spring, but I don't how to take out the internal one.)

Adding hop pellets to a Sanke keg for dry-hopping without using a bag, because, hey, the spear has a big diameter, and it can't get clogged, right? and not realizing that there actually is a really small gap that is created when the Sanke tap is opened, which caused the inside of the spear to become packed with hop debris, clogging up the whole thing.

Don't do that.

btw, anyone know how to open up a Sanke spear? (I know how to take off the external spring, but I don't how to take out the internal one.)

Check out this thread by Yuri_Rage

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28915

Last weekend I was kegging a batch. I hook co2 up to one of those orange carboy caps and use the co2 to get the siphon going. SWMBO started talking to me and I didn't notice that too much co2 was going in (couldn't hear because she had just started the nearby washing machine). We're talking and then KABLAMMO!! Over pressure made the cap pop off with one hell of a bang that scared the crap out of both of us.

No harm to anyone or to the beer or to the equipment, but still - don't do that.

i did this once. i've never transferred that way again.

Fearing I might overpressurize, I poked a small hole in the carboy cap, and when I start the siphon I put my thumb over the hole, and once the siphon starts, release my thumb and turn the gas down to the point that there is some small amount of gas leaking out.

This beer needs to be carbed by this weekend...
I'll just put it @ 20 psi for a few days...
I'll also just leave the picnic tap connected to the keg...

Don't do that.

I'm just going to fill the fermenter with water and star San while waiting for the water to boil.

Get distracted and forget to turn the water off at the 5 gallon mark, and soon hear the dreaded sound of water spilling all over the floor.

Don't do that...

Place a bunch of cardboard down to cover the floor when you're brewing.

DO THAT! It's saved me so much frustration, and having to clean up sticky spills.

I need to write a thread of how to successfully brew in a small city apt haha.

Have two carboys fermenting next to each other. Forget which is which and add the pumpkin spice to the bitter (instead of the pumpkin beer) prior to kegging.

Don't do that.

Masking tape is your friend

I'm just going to fill the fermenter with water and star San while waiting for the water to boil.

Get distracted and forget to turn the water off at the 5 gallon mark, and soon hear the dreaded sound of water spilling all over the floor.

Don't do that...

DO THAT! It's saved me so much frustration, and having to clean up sticky spills.

There might be a potential for a front page article there :mug:

Don't do that...

step 1. - buy a house
step 2 - convert basement/garage/shed into brew room

step 1. - buy a house
step 2 - convert basement/garage/shed into brew room
I got step 1 down, but then I fudged step 2 and have pretty much taken over the kitchen instead of one of the recommended rooms. Wife is, shall we say... not pleased. :/

Make a beer ive made many times before......calculate out the hop bill for 100bbls not 3bbls.....36lbs of hops later its a fine mess....pitch yeast because you dont realize your mistake until you are cleaning up......dont do that

Make a beer ive made many times before......calculate out the hop bill for 100bbls not 3bbls.....36lbs of hops later its a fine mess.

Confused 36 lb of hops with 1 lb in a beer made many times before? I don't see how...
...you could admit that one!

What will you do with this over-hopped beer? 3 bbls of it!

yea it was a bad day haha, my calculator i had set to bbls i confused with gallons and i was trying a different hop combo so nothing seemed odd to me for some reason ( fyi dont brew pissed off ). Its interesting right now smells amazing haha going to crash it see how much i can get to drop out and possibly filter it but we shall see, if i can salvage it then we shall have a special brew on tap here. :tank:

I was out of Citra hops and paying 30+ a LB was not an option at the moment even in an emergency so I was trying to use other hops i had on hand.

yea it was a bad day haha, my calculator i had set to bbls i confused with gallons and i was trying a different hop combo so nothing seemed odd to me for some reason ( fyi dont brew pissed off ). Its interesting right now smells amazing haha going to crash it see how much i can get to drop out and possibly filter it but we shall see, if i can salvage it then we shall have a special brew on tap here. :tank:

I was out of Citra hops and paying 30+ a LB was not an option at the moment even in an emergency so I was trying to use other hops i had on hand.

feel free to forward a few bottles for independent opinion as to flavor etc. :D

I'm confused, citra is like, $23/lb at homebrewer regular prices in the internet. You can't get it cheaper?

I'm confused, citra is like, $23/lb at homebrewer regular prices in the internet. You can't get it cheaper?

I try not to buy out homebrew suppliers. All i could find in bulk was 30+ or it was a couple years old still high priced. Also this was right before the new harvest so alot of places were out of their stock. either way it was an all over bad day

Forget to take your post boil gravity sample.. sigh... at least my pre boil sample was 3 points shy of my projected OG....

Yesterday, I had 2 liters of starter wort in a 3 liter flask just coming to a boil on a butane burner when it suddenly exploded. I had it up rather high on a table and was sitting very close.

Don't do that. You might not like it.

wondering why the temp isn't falling after cleaning the keezer! :eek: forgot to put the temp sensor back in! :eek: Half frozen kegs! :eek:
Don't do that!

Sitting on the floor in front of a conical trying to dump yeast after fermentation (elbow on bottom dump fitting so the valve is pointed right at me). Said yeast is compacted and will not budge. Connects CO2 supply to top of conical to add a few PSI to assist in yeast removal - nothing happens. Sticks sanitized keg dip tube brush into valve to loosen yeast. Much laundry ensues.

Don't do that.

Waiting till the next day to use the hose to clean the krausen ring after it dries...don't do that.

PBW + soft rag + solid bung + shake PET carboy: DO THAT!

Anyway, soak it in pbw overnight and the dried gunk will practically fall right off (glass or plastic)

PBW + soft rag + solid bung + shake carboy: DO THAT!

Anyway, soak it in pbw overnight and the dried gunk will practically fall right off.

oh man, that's a recipe for disaster, considering people use PBW hot. DO NOT put hot water in a glass carboy, seal it, and shake it. DOOOOOOO NOT.

PBW + soft rag + solid bung + shake carboy: DO THAT!

Anyway, soak it in pbw overnight and the dried gunk will practically fall right off.

It was to do with my Cooper's Micro Brew FV. I only had about a quart of PBW solution left in my jug, so I came up with this solution. Here's a pic;

I set the FV on it's side on top of my Home Depot bucket after pouring in the PBW yesterday & tightly screwed on the lid. The small puddle of PBW easily soaked the dried krausen loose in no time on that spot. The krausen ring was at the top 1/4'th of the handle indent that can be seen to the left of the airlock grommet. Then just rotated to the next spot, etc. Just gotta rinse it today & clean/sanitize the spigot & FV before storing on the fermenter stand for the next round. Here's an older pic of the stand when I just got the Canon & was rearranging things;

Back